Bersa Thunder 380 problems (!!&*$$%%#!!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Don't know if you have checked this or if you already knew - When you cleaned and oiled the pistol, did you remove the spring from the barrel? Even if you didn't, check to make sure that it isn't on backwards. One end of the spring is smaller than the other. The smaller end should go onto the barrel first. I found this problem on a friends Bersa that was doing the same as yours.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Don't know if you have checked this or if you already knew - When you cleaned and oiled the pistol, did you remove the spring from the barrel? Even if you didn't, check to make sure that it isn't on backwards. One end of the spring is smaller than the other. The smaller end should go onto the barrel first. I found this problem on a friends Bersa that was doing the same as yours.

Excellent point! Also, make sure that the end of the wire (on the end not on the barrel) is at the 12 o'clock position. Here is a good resource so you can see what I mean...

Bersa Thunder 380 Chapterhouse

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy

+1 on this & making sure its in the 12 o'clock position.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Excellent point! Also, make sure that the end of the wire (on the end not on the barrel) is at the 12 o'clock position. Here is a good resource so you can see what I mean...

Bersa Thunder 380 Chapterhouse

Yep, I knew about the spring issue and making sure the end of the spring is at the 12 o'clock position, makes it a whole lot easier to reassemble. Reckon my next and cheapest step is to go to a range and get someone else to shoot it who has some (successful!) experience with Bersas to see if they have the same issues. If anyone is going to be going to Pop's any time in the near future, please let me know either here or via PM. I really want to avoid putting any more money into this piece if at all possible, but I hate to wish a problem off onto someone else either. Thanks again for all the input and advice, much appreciated.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I have read somewhere where other have had FTF's and they stated that this went away after a few hundred rounds. I sold a Bersa to a friend of mine and he had several FTF's when he shot. The rest of us would shoot the pistol and not have a single problem. I think that you are on the right track in someone else shooting it to see if it has a different effect. I hope you work this out without further costs $.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Everyone else has mentioned feed ramp, but have you checked for a burr somewhere around the firing pin hole, or a problem with the case rim sliding under the ejector? Once in a while, the problem is on the other end of the brass :dunno:

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Everyone else has mentioned feed ramp, but have you checked for a burr somewhere around the firing pin hole, or a problem with the case rim sliding under the ejector? Once in a while, the problem is on the other end of the brass :dunno:
    Can't say I have - now that there's a rainy day keeping me from doing stuff outside, I'll have a chance to check it today.

garymo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Bers Thunder Plus .380 Hammer Issues

Does anyone have an idea on how the make the Hammer easier on my thumb? I shot a rattler the other day and I tried putting the Hammer back down and when I squeezed the trigger the hammer slipped out from my thumb and shot down the road. Very glad I was being a safe gun owner at the time. The hammer is too small for my thumb to hold.

Last edited by a moderator:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Does anyone have an idea on how the make the Hammer easier on my thumb? I shot a rattler the other day and I tried putting the Hammer back down and when I squeezed the trigger the hammer slipped out from my thumb and shot down the road. Very glad I was being a safe gun owner at the time. The hammer is too small for my thumb to hold. Write to garymo@warpdriveonline.com

Use the de-cocking lever. That's what it is there for.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Use the de-cocking lever. That's what it is there for.

Beat me to it. NEVER decock a Bersa manually...

My grandfather in law has a WWII walther ppk that his dad brought home from the war. He never fired it but when he showed it to me he thought it was broke because the safety makes it fire! :D

OK, I don't know Walthers, so.. they are SUPPOSED to fire using the safety?? :dunno: I am confused..

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Beat me to it. NEVER decock a Bersa manually...

OK, I don't know Walthers, so.. they are SUPPOSED to fire using the safety?? :dunno: I am confused..

The Grandfather didn't shoot the gun. He assumed that since the hammer fell when using the de-cocker that it would fire should it be loaded.

Top Bottom