• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Anyone have any issues with getting decent accuracy out of your rifle. I'm shooting the 18 inch version steel barrel. Only tried 50 yds so far and haven't seen anything better than 1 inch group looking for good accuracy for nrl22 base class rifle build. Tried cheap ammo and higher end ammo already and nothing seems impressive compared to my tikka or cz 457

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Sk semi auto. Lapua center x, eley club,eley target, cci std velocity, wolf match,wolf match extra,norma match, and several misc federal, nothing copper plated. Retorted action x2 cleaned 2x.

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Benchrest tried bipod and rear bag and tried a mtm rifle rest that holds whole rifle with adjustable front rest it's a basic plastic unit not precision quality

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Scope is coming soon as the funds arise. Thinking about pillar bedding and glass bedding the stock as well if the nearest gunsmith wants to tackle it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    .22 rimfires are a law unto themselves. If the bbl is floated take a piece of bicycle inner tube and use it to apply pressure between stock and the bbl. May need to adjust location fore and aft and may need a couple thicknesses to get right pressure. All rimfire rifles are an experiment. Some are just never gonna be target guns. A Bergara should do better than an inch at 50 tho.
    Might try some copper plated ammo and stingers might surprise you if the chamber is cut a little long.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Scope is coming soon as the funds arise. Thinking about pillar bedding and glass bedding the stock as well if the nearest gunsmith wants to tackle it.

You need to rule out the scope, barrel, and rifle, before you can even think about a spending more money on it. You have to consider the possibility that it might have to go back to the factory. IMHO ;)

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yeah, I wouldn't be happy about that either. When you change ammo, do you shoot a few to season the barrel before going for group? Another thing is you may want to play with the torque on the action screws. Is that scope parallax adjustable? If not, that could be part of the issue.

edwea

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    My money is on the scope. Maybe trade for the scope on one of the other rifles that shoots acceptable groups? 9x on a rimfire at 50y would be tough for my eyes. 12x is a minimum for me at 50y on a rimfire. And AO is a must.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    And if not the scope... Then the mounts. And then the mounting hardware screws and their respective torque (or not)
    Gotta chase the sequence. Screws tight, torque right, bbl vibration, stock bedding, chamber fit/ammo preference, suspect scope?, and when all else fails have a competent marksman shoot it to check your conclusion.

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Yeah, I wouldn't be happy about that either. When you change ammo, do you shoot a few to season the barrel before going for group? Another thing is you may want to play with the torque on the action screws. Is that scope parallax adjustable? If not, that could be part of the issue.
    Yes I always test all brands at same time and when switching to new brand I do 10-15 rounds of foulers before looking for accuracy

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    While waiting on new scope dollars, I'd take the current one completely off and put it back on.

It's worth the trouble to source a torque tool, if you don't have one.

Might be surprised at what you run into? Also might be surprised that you run into nothing notable, yet somehow redoing the whole procedure solved the problem?

:popcorn:

Last edited:

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I would chamber a round, then eject it by hand before firing and see if there is and damage to the bullet.

Top Bottom