Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I just picked up a Beretta 92F
    Model PO9219FA
    Product Description 92-FA 9mm
    Aprox Manufacture Date 1989

I don't know much about these pistols other than the Military and LEO use.

Are they a good gun?
    Accurate?
    What is the value for good condition? It does show some slight holster wear but the slide and barrel have little to no wear on them. U was told by the seller that it was a LEO turn in.

No rust but does need a good cleaning.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The 92 series is usually very accurate and very reliable. Price wise the 92F usually sells for between $300 and $500 based on condition. They were only sold for a short while before Beretta installed a slot in the slide and enlarged the trigger pin to fit in that slot. Supposed to be a safety thing for those afraid of the slide flying off. That stemmed from our military using ammo that was much hotter than Beretta recommended, and then complained about slides breaking. In normal use there is nothing to worry about.

About the only thing to check on used 92s is the lenth of the recoil spring, per Beretta should be replaced if it is shorter than the barrel. How is that for close tolerance measuring?

Also check the the drop block for cracks. Some of the older ones would crack after several thousand rounds were fired. Beretta considered that normal wear but a block that breaks would make your pistol a paper weight. Beretta sells an updated block and recoil spring "kit" for a very reasonable price on their USA website.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Sweet pistols. Buddy of mine has one and its a sweet shooter. A coworker has the Taurus PT92 and loves it, too. Ive only shot the Beretta, and hile it was brand new, it was a great shooter.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The 92 series is usually very accurate and very reliable. Price wise the 92F usually sells for between $300 and $500 based on condition. They were only sold for a short while before Beretta installed a slot in the slide and enlarged the trigger pin to fit in that slot. Supposed to be a safety thing for those afraid of the slide flying off. That stemmed from our military using ammo that was much hotter than Beretta recommended, and then complained about slides breaking. In normal use there is nothing to worry about.

About the only thing to check on used 92s is the lenth of the recoil spring, per Beretta should be replaced if it is shorter than the barrel. How is that for close tolerance measuring?

Also check the the drop block for cracks. Some of the older ones would crack after several thousand rounds were fired. Beretta considered that normal wear but a block that breaks would make your pistol a paper weight. Beretta sells an updated block and recoil spring "kit" for a very reasonable price on their USA website.

Thank you for the information. The internals look like almost new. The only wear is from the holster.
    I will check the spring and drop block

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Was my first gun I ever bought. A 92 FS. Fabulous hand gun. Carried it for about 5 years. Still own it and occasionally take it to the range.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    One of the most gentle recoiling 9mm pistols I ever ran across. When I was an instructor, as soon as I was confident in a students handling of a .22 rimfire, the 92FS beretta was the next firearm I had them try. It is easy to shoot and shoot well, and the smooth way it handles recoil does not require much from the operator. I don't think you can even limp wrist it enough to cause a misfeed.

On a side note, if accuracy is your thing, a tip I picked up from the AMU was to change out the factory 13# recoil spring with a good quality 15# recoil spring. That has been shown to tighten up groups between the first round that was hand racked in and the rest of the rounds that were chambered by the firing of the pistol. The heavier spring seems to have no problem with light, low power rounds.

I think you will enjoy it.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Have an m9. Its my favorite fullsize handgun out of my fullsize lot (sig p226 mk25, sig sp2022, and Para Expert)

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I was in the USAF and assigned to a Security Police squadron as a CATM troop (firearms instructor/repairer) in the late 1980's. The whole slide/ammo story is a MUCH exaggerated story. Out of the 300,000 M9's originally ordered only 6 suffered slide separations. (of course as many folks that SAY they saw it, it must of happened in a football stadium full or witnesses) The whole high pressure ammo thing isn't really accurate either. SAMMI spec 124 gr NATO. Isn't really that hot.

After those 6 slide separations the Military does what it does best, it over reacted. We had to keep meticulous records on the M9's we used and at the 1,000 round mark send the slide away to be examined for cracks etc. While all that was going on Beretta adds the S to the 92 F (S) That whole process lasted maybe 6-10 months and then we were told to quit.

The Beretta M9/92 works but the main issue I saw was the locking blocks were prone to breakage if used heavy and some of the trigger springs would break occasionally.

phishb0y

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I like to upgrade the trigger spring to the Wolff model and if it hasn't been done yet install a D spring really makes the trigger feel nice. Welcome to the beretta club. I also recommend the Beretta forum. Lots of good guys and great knowledge.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You 92F will have an old style locking block. If you intend to shoot it a lot, ie 10k+, I would put in a new locking block (and plunger). The updated blocks last forever w/ SAAMI spec ammo. Otherwise you have one of the most reliable and durable pistols on the market, imo. I used them for YEARS in IDPA/USPSA.

-rvb

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    From being in the service I wanted an M9. Found my 92F at the Blythes meet and shoot a month back. I won't beat a dead horse and say what everyone's saying about issues, but a great gun easy to learn and accurate. I paid 450 out the door and it looks like it was barely used.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I have a Beretta Border Marshall and it is a great gun. A little too large for my hands and for an EDC though. Really a easy 9MM to shoot though.

pipelinen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Demotte
    My first handgun was a 92fs centurion. Still have it amongst many others. Without a doubt the smoothest handgun I own. The slide feels like it is on roller bearings. Not sure the new ones are near the quality of the old ones

tonyb71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    So. Indiana
    You will like this gun. My first hand gun was a 92FS and I recall it was very accurate. Unfortunately it got stolen from my dad's house otherwise I'd still have that bad boy.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I absolutely love my 92 A1. The best part is, my wife can't get a good grip on it so she doesn't like it, which means she doesn't try to steal it from me at the range.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    When I was in the USAF. I was issued a Beretta M9 during my tour in Afghanistan. Great weapon. I have thought about buying one since I have returned. Wish I could have kept the one I carried over there.This may sound stupid, but I kind of developed an emotional attachment to it as it went everywhere with me and worked when I needed it to. I still know its serial number.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I've got a 92FS which I think I bought new in 1989 or 1990 which has been a regular participant in range trips to date. I'm thinking some where in the neighborhood of 20000 rounds through her... Still shoots great, in that time I think I replaced the recoil spring twice, otherwise early on a after market trigger spring and recoil spring was all I added... Since then I added a inox, 92F, and a M9A1 and they are all great shooters... Your Beretta should give you many years of great service....

Top Bottom