• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Alright here we go....Compare and contrast these two very well known weapons used by much of our military.

Reliability
    Accuracy
    Useability
    Cost
    Practical Use
    Looks
    Tactical Use

Or anything else you can think of!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Well, I know Jon, who spent 8 years in active duty service with the Army was issued an M9, and HATED it.

Apparently it's a function follows form gun. Being an engineer, he comes from the Form MUST follow function school of though. His biggest gripes were. If it's not clean it doesn't run, and if you take it apart without paying special attention in the field it's exceptionally easy to lose one or more springs, rendering the gun completely useless.

The Sig P226 is an amazing firearm. We own one (Although wanting to sell it.) It's the easiest gun to take down I own.... It's never failed to feed/fire/eject when you insert the magazine fully *looks at Pami... ;) * And like the Beretta, it's not ugly. Hard to lose with a Sig Sauer in my opinion.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I've never shot a Beretta, so I can't really compare the 226 to it.. but here are my thoughts:

Reliability: the P226 only fails when I fail. I've put around 1700 rounds through mine (I know, not a lot really), but it's only ever FTF because I didn't have the magazine seated properly, had a bad bullet, or used a dummy round to intentionally cause the FTF.

Accuracy: It's as accurate and consistent as the person holding it, especially now that I have the sights corrected. I was surprised when I shot it last week because I kept about a 1.5" group just right of the X with it (that's exceptionally good for me). I wasn't doing that well with the P250 that day.

Usability/Practical Use/Tactical Use: They're both DA/SAs, weigh almost exactly the same(34 oz for the P226, 34.4 oz for the 92)... racking the slide was a bit tough for me sometimes, but it's loosened up some (or I've learned how to do it is probably more accurate) since I've owned it. I have two 15 round mags and two 18 round mags for the P226. Looks like standard issue with both guns is 10 or 15 rounds. Finding a holster of any type wasn't too difficult. The P226 is about an inch shorter in overall length, which might help some in concealability, but not much I wouldn't think...

Cost: According to the catalog, the Beretta MSRP is $625 - $725. I paid $850 (although the catalog lists it for $1000) for the P226, but 1) I bought it new at Cabella's, 2) it has the fancy shmancy SigLite night sights with a tritium/fiber optic hybrid front sight, and 3) it came with two 15 round mags and two 18 round mags.

Looks: Nothing is sexier than a SIG. ;) I'm so gonna get blasted for this... I'm still where a "gun is a gun is a gun" and they all look the same to me. *runs and hides* I'm slloowwwwly learning the subtle differences.

Clickies:
    For the Beretta 92/96:
    Beretta USA Product Catalog - Pistols

For the SIG P226:
    Show Product Details

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Talking with an Indy PD officer, he HATES the 92. The had all kinds of problems with their service weapons, until they switched to Glocks. Then no problems. I would put a Sig in the same category of Glock in reliability (when the Sig is maintained properly) and possibly slightly better in accuracy.

If I couldn't have a Glock, I'd take a Sig 226 over a Beretta 92 every day and twice on Sunday. Although I'd probably go with a 229, for compactness. But if you are considering the 92, that isn't a factor.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I don't own either, but have shot both types fairly extensively. SIG P226 takes the cake in almost every category you can think of, except trigger pull – where the Beretta is smoother, but just as long and heavy (comparing stock, base model guns) – and price. I also like the fact that the SIG is decock-only (I don't believe in manual safeties) and the lever isn't in a place where it can be accidentally activated when racking the slide or doing malf clearances.

"Looks" don't even enter into the equation; I'm a Glock guy, so I wouldn't know anything about that! :lmfao:

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Having owned both the 226 and 92FS, I think they both are good guns. The 226 is probably more reliable (I have never had any issues with either however), but I shoot the 92FS better and find it to be easier shooting. The 92 is one of the softest recoiling 9mms I have ever shot. I find that it shoots softer than my CZ SP-01 brick of a 9mm home defense gun even though it weighs less.

They are both good guns and I kind of prefer the SIG, but there are some great deals to be had on 92s right now (I got my Italian made one NIB for less than $500 about a year ago).

On that note, ever consider a CZ?

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    I've not shot a P6, however, I do now own 4 92 variants.

The issue with the spring is no more as the recoil rod spring is capped on each side (even older USPs were this way, among others).

In terms of field stripping, the gun is super simple (no glock trigger pull required either). It is virtually impossible for the gun to stovepipe or jam as the top/side of the gun is open. In terms of having to keep it clean --- is that not the case with most machinery? Clean = better/optimal function. Maybe he had issues with the feed ramp? That's about the only thing I can think of, but I've not experienced any issues.

Also, to me, the Beretta has one of the nicest triggers in the business. For me the P6 is out, as it is not ambi.

For around $500 (or less) you can't beat it if you want a full frame gun.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I guess that I am in the minority......

I too carried a Beretta M9 after they were first issued to the Army in the mid '80s, and purchased a 92G (decock only) that I have owned since 1991 (and the night sights are still going strong).

I also have had and still own a few P22x series Sig pistols. The p220 .45 is the most accurate.

Back to the OP debate.....

I have had no issues with either pistol in my collection, but if I were to grab just one it would be the Beretta. The Sig may carry better dimensionally, and maybe its just nostalgia but the Beretta just shoots better, does have less felt recoil, quicker follow up shots etc... also most shooters that have fired the 92 have liked it at the range and shot very well with it.

But having said that I love my Sigs too!!! Beretta, Glock & Sig!!!

Our unit didnt seem to have the issues that plagued the M9 later in the Gulf Wars. But we didnt use C.Mate magazines either!!!:do2: And to "lose parts & springs" in the field, they must have disassembled way past a "field strip" and into armors level disassembly.

A family member is a deputy in our county and they were not satisfied with the Smiths, the Sigs, the Berettas and also had issues with the Glocks when they were in transistion...... sometimes I think its: "Operator headspace" and not the weapon!!!:popcorn2:

Just my :twocents:,

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    How about the Beretta 90-Two?
    Just wondering differences/improvements compared to standard 92. I can read what internet and magazines say about them, and pick one up at the gun store. Interested in someone who has actually shot or may own one!!

gunluster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    I have 3 Sig P226's. Over the years the local Law Enforcement agencies Have used Beretta 92's and 96's. They had failure after failure with the Berettas. These same agencies either have transitioned, or are transtioning to Sig P226's. Beretta's "quality" is just too inconsistent to trust. My oldest P226 has over 16,000 rounds though it, and another one has over 8,000 through it. I have never experienced a failure of any kind with a P226. That is not something that a lot of people can say of other brands.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    My SIG 226 was made in 1984...who knows how many rounds it has seen. It shoot great, very accurate, reliable, and easy to clean. It is my go to gun and would trust my life to it.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Our unit didnt seem to have the issues that plagued the M9 later in the Gulf Wars. But we didnt use C.Mate magazines either!!!:do2: And to "lose parts & springs" in the field, they must have disassembled way past a "field strip" and into armors level disassembly.

+1

The craptacular mags that the DOD got for them trying to go cheap have caused a TON of issues. The newer mags they are replacing them with have a lot better track record.

I also agree on the dissasembly point. Take the grips off a SIG P226. Lots of springs and whatnot in them as well. A field strip of a 92 leaves you with a slide, barrel, frame, recoil spring, guide rod, and MAYBE the barrel link thingy if it slides too far to one side (easy to slip right back in). Anything more is not a field strip and to be a fair comparison, the SIG has a crap ton of tiny parts when detail stripped as well.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    +1

The craptacular mags that the DOD got for them trying to go cheap have caused a TON of issues. The newer mags they are replacing them with have a lot better track record.

I also agree on the dissasembly point. Take the grips off a SIG P226. Lots of springs and whatnot in them as well. A field strip of a 92 leaves you with a slide, barrel, frame, recoil spring, guide rod, and MAYBE the barrel link thingy if it slides too far to one side (easy to slip right back in). Anything more is not a field strip and to be a fair comparison, the SIG has a crap ton of tiny parts when detail stripped as well.

There is only 1 spring that MIGHT come off it you take the grips off. The is the decocking lever spring. It is complicated inside of a SIG but it doesnt need to come out....i cant imagine somebody even trying in the field.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    There is only 1 spring that MIGHT come off it you take the grips off. The is the decocking lever spring. It is complicated inside of a SIG but it doesnt need to come out....i cant imagine somebody even trying in the field.

Same goes for the Beretta.

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    I own both the 92FS and the 90-two. They are both fine weapons. The main problem with the 90-two is the price (some list as high as $700 -- but I did not pay that).

Grips are much better, recoil seems less, front rail, accuracy seems about the same - but could be better due to better grips, trigger seems about the same, 17 round mags instead of 15 ... that's about it.

How about the Beretta 90-Two?
    Just wondering differences/improvements compared to standard 92. I can read what internet and magazines say about them, and pick one up at the gun store. Interested in someone who has actually shot or may own one!!

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    beretta vs sig 226?

I personally like shooting beretta more and the 92fs will always have a soft spot in my heart, since I have worked on them alot and carried them in the military for years. The sig is better for carry and probably more reliable when dirty but you cant beat a beretta for home defense. They are both great guns and will serve you well.:ar15:

rjwin1967

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I've carried both. Both are big and both are heavy. I hit better with a Beretta. I like the Beretta trigger better. If I bought another Beretta, it would have to be an Italian made one. IPD did have problems with their American made 92s. The ones that failed did so within about a 100 rounds and cracked in the same place. The Beretta rep said they didn't know what caused it. IPD brought in Glock. I was told by someone who should know that he suspected improper heat treating. I've never heard of a similar problem with Sigs. If I had to choose, I'd take the Italian made 92 because I like the way it feels better. I believe both are equally reliable if given the proper maintenence. In the end it's what you like personally that counts. Before you buy either one, try a CZ. I had a 75B that I wish I hadn't sold. It shot very well and never jammed on me. For what they are, they're a bargain.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    I've yet to have any of my 92's fail in operation. I clean them when I feel like it and am rewarded by failless function, time and time again.

Top Bottom