• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have shot both side by side (my 226 and a buddies 92).

Reliability:
    Sig took everything. Low power reloads to +P's.
    Beretta had FTF's. The low power ammo couldn't get the slide all the way back

Accuracy:
    Sig shot great all the way though.
    Beretta held amazing groups until it got hot. When the gun got hot the groups opened up.

Looks:
    Solely opnion based but I think the 92 is sexy.

On a side note the 92 is one of the few (if not only) pistol that you can suppress without a recoil booster.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Oh my, what a question. I've never been a big fan of the 92. Many felt/feel the military's decision to go with it as the M9 was a political bone thrown to the Italians (my memory is a little fuzzy and I don't remember the reason - you can google it).

I prefer the correlating designs of SIG, H&K, and Glock to the 92, but that's just my opinion. The 92 has seen a lot of field use and refinements over the years as the M9. It's reliable and will do the job. A lot of these "this pistol vs. that pistol" threads are splitting hairs. For me the ergonomics of the SIG work better. YMMV.

It should also be noted that the 92F won the military tests based solely on a lower price per unit because the P226 also completed the tests satisfactorily. The 92 experienced some catastrophic slide failures early on (with Seal subgun ammo) and the design was modified (into the 92FS). To my knowledge the 226 has never experienced this (which the Navy Seals continue to use as well as G17s which resist corrosion better).

Modern versions of both are decent guns.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have a 92FS, but it lives in Colorado at my Dad's house.

It was my first handgun. Never had a reliability problem and it is very easy to field strip.

I don't own a 226, but I have a SigPro 2022. A great gun.

I really don't think you could go wrong with either a Beretta or a SIG. Just my :twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Both are from reputable companies. Both are high end firearms. It depends on the situation that I am in which places above the other.

If it is everyday civilian carry wear "if" it was used it is no more than a mag or perhaps two though it in rapid fire the Berretta is fine.

However if it is beating the living crap out of it, not cleaning it for 1000 rounds, and putting my life on that very fine line of life or death. Then it has to be the Sig.

However as I was always told both growing up and as a young private, "Pistols, and Shotguns are only for fighting your way to a Rifle.".

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I own all three and like them for different reasons. The Glock goes in my BOB. I carry the SIG. The Beretta is my range gun, it's just so sexy.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    We own both -- a 92FS and a P226.

Thousands of rounds through each one, and never a problem with either -- not even any feed issues from keeping the mags fully loaded for many months at a time. Like all firearms, keep them reasonably clean, maintained and use decent ammo, and they'll work fine every time.

Try them both. Pick the one that suits you.

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    I have owned a 92G for years. And it has spent many of them in the safe after I got a 226. I now have two 226's. They just fits me better. But I would trust them both if going into harms way. Besides it is fun to finish a stage and have some youngster with his tricked out Glock ask me what kind of gun I just beat him with. Either will do for that moment of old man glory.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Ran across this in a Google search haha.
    Bringing up the dead.
    I absolutely love my 4.4" p226. Its the DAO version because I plan on carrying it as my backup on the PD... DAO or striker fire is all that's permitted.

I have the m9 for nostalgia value. Its def not my go to gun. To get a good high thumbs forward grip is hard, however it is VERY accurate.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    CZ SP-01! I saw epsylum mentioned it already. Just wait until Birds Away gets here! :P

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    [edit: come on spauldingPM... suckered me into a 5-yr old thread?]

I competed in idpa and uspsa w/ a 92 variant (92FS and 92G-EII) for many years. use factory mags and they will run and run. That they need to be clean to run is pure BS. The most mine got cleaned was every 3-5k rounds, often more. 92's do like lots of lube; run dry can lead to issues, regardless if it's clean or not.

I give the 226 a -slight- durability edge. But not enough to matter. Reliability I think is a wash. I didn't care for the location of the controls on the 226, always decocking it inadvertently or keeping the slide from locking back, just from the way I gripped the pistol.

Go w/ the one that fits you better.

here's what 15-20k rounds looks like on a 92....

dirty2v.jpg

-rvb

Last edited:

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    [edit: come on spauldingPM... suckered me into a 5-yr old thread?]

I competed in idpa and uspsa w/ a 92 variant (92FS and 92G-EII) for many years. use factory mags and they will run and run. That they need to be clean to run is pure BS. The most mine got cleaned was every 3-5k rounds, often more. 92's do like lots of lube; run dry can lead to issues, regardless if it's clean or not.

I give the 226 a -slight- durability edge. But not enough to matter. Reliability I think is a wash. I didn't care for the location of the controls on the 226, always decocking it inadvertently or keeping the slide from locking back, just from the way I gripped the pistol.

Go w/ the one that fits you better.

here's what 15-20k rounds looks like on a 92....

dirty2v.jpg

-rvb

Holy crap! How many RDS did you shoot between a clean? That bad boy is battle hardened haha!

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have never shot the sig, but I own the Beretta M9 and because of the way it shoots I picked a PX4 Storm. Between both Beretta's I have fired a few hundred rounds with now problems. Love the feel of the trigger on my M9. It is my favorite gun to shoot.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I shot a 92 and a 226 before I bought my first 9mm and I went with the 226.

The trigger on the Beretta leaves a lot to be desired, imho.

Honestly - go somewhere that you can rent both [or find friends that own them, you know, like people here on INGO] and meet up at a range - shoot both - decide which one you feel is the best fit for you.

For me the double-action trigger pull on the beretta is way too heavy and the single-action is heavier than I'd like. The trigger on my 226 is substantially better.

If you're into modding it may not be an issue but I carry mine for self defense and, although we all know we do not modify our handguns to make them 'more deadly', that's not going to stop a prosecutor or a suing attorney from laying such claims.

Top Bottom