• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I have recently noticed something that may be the result of kids tuning out everything around them when on their phones. The new hires at work seems to be able to do that for hours on end. Set them down with a mundane task on their computer, and I think the building could catch on fire and they wouldn't notice!

Anyone notice any other benefits?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    at this point, I can't seem to muster up much feeling on this phenomena. I have a dumb, flip phone coming because I sometimes I may need roadside help. Otherwise I probably won't carry it. I dislike being tracked like a dog. I dislike the idea that it can be turned on without knowing it has and people can listen in and if it has a camera, see what's going on.

When Sony introduced the Walkman, cassette not CD, I noticed major differences in people in general. No one looked both ways to cross a street because they were tuned out now. No one would say hello to anyone as the walked to class, yeah I was a college student, no one would give way even a tiny bit on a sidewalk because they were tuned out. In fact the whole world became more distant once this happened and has only gotten worse as more reasons have come along to tune out.

Timothy Leery must be dancing in Hell. He thought it would be great if folks would drop acid and tune out. Guess all it really took was technology that no longer required a person to actually talk to someone, even at the same table. I have seen people texting each other while sitting and waiting for their meals at restaurants. Not a big table where everyone is trying to talk at once, just a small, two person table where no one is talking. Conversation is dead. People can not seem to do this any longer. People would much rather misunderstand each other through text only. People no longer seem capable, and probably aren't, of reading a person and the language has suffered as well.

Technology was supposed to make life better, it has only made people withdraw into their own little worlds while ignoring the actual world.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Timothy Leery must be dancing in Hell. He thought it would be great if folks would drop acid and tune out. Guess all it really took was technology that no longer required a person to actually talk to someone, even at the same table. I have seen people texting each other while sitting and waiting for their meals at restaurants. Not a big table where everyone is trying to talk at once, just a small, two person table where no one is talking. Conversation is dead. People can not seem to do this any longer. People would much rather misunderstand each other through text only. People no longer seem capable, and probably aren't, of reading a person and the language has suffered as well.

Actually Leery advocated tuning in, the quote was "Turn on, tune in, drop out". He would probably be rolling in his grave over this.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom