Not open for further replies.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Saw that its topped WW2 for fatalities

You do realize propaganda when you see it? Given that we have not seen an increase in death rates, it is apparent that to a great extent the COVID deaths are people who were going to die anyway with the chicken or egg argument of whether people in frail health are dying of COVID or they are dying of what they already had wrong and having it blamed on COVID.

We did NOT send terminally ill people to fight World War II, so that is an untenable, dishonest, and frankly laughable assertion.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think the distrust and division was already here before the pandemic even started.

It is sad and frustrating to see a lot of people on social media that, in my view, are determined to minimize the pandemic and claimed that these people would have died anyway. That just isn't true in the sense of statistics and demographics

The increasing hostility towards people of different political views has obviously been growing in recent decades. I would have thought an outside threat like a virus would cause us to band together, in a wartime effort, but it seems to have divided us even further. Polls do show it's conservatives that are less likely to take the pandemic seriously. But liberals have been just as bad with their hypocritical governors and mayors violating their own recommendations, and few of them speaking up about the protests last summer.
    Conservatives took it more seriously at first and were scoffed at by the media and by Democrat politicians and pundits. Conservatives were the first to adopt mask wearing and were laughed at for it. The thing driving division is social media if I had to name one thing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    While I am on the subject of COVID, I am planning to install a refrigerator, freezer, and microwave in my truck soon. Right now I am sitting at a truck stop which has cut its restaurant hours down to 11:00 am to 7:00 pm, and this is a TA not some mom and pop shop. This type of nonsense has become commonplace and is growing tiresome. I don't exist for their convenience and will stop participating very soon. The consensus derived from talking to the staff is that business is in the toilet but the bean counters are too fixated on cutting expenses to see that they are cutting their potential to make money even though they keep increasing prices well beyond general inflation. All in the name of COVID, lack of any identifiable connection notwithstanding.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This isn’t just about your post, it’s about the whole line of thinking. So I’m not picking on you specifically.

Why are we comparing a pandemic to man made phenomenon? Why aren’t we comparing it to other pandemics? Are we trying to attach a moral to the spread of this? Are we trying to assign blame and shame people for it? For those of you who are thinking of it that way, shame right back atcha. That’s not helpful.

It's a popular tactic of the left to take something and then try to compare it to war deaths for some reason. The anti-gunners do it by taking something like 10 years of gun deaths and then picking some war to compare them against.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I think the distrust and division was already here before the pandemic even started.

It is sad and frustrating to see a lot of people on social media that, in my view, are determined to minimize the pandemic and claimed that these people would have died anyway. That just isn't true in the sense of statistics and demographics

The increasing hostility towards people of different political views has obviously been growing in recent decades. I would have thought an outside threat like a virus would cause us to band together, in a wartime effort, but it seems to have divided us even further. Polls do show it's conservatives that are less likely to take the pandemic seriously. But liberals have been just as bad with their hypocritical governors and mayors violating their own recommendations, and few of them speaking up about the protests last summer.

Unfortunately with the current crop of politicians and media we have there was going to be no banding together. The democrats could have supported Trump when he initiated his travel restrictions but their instinct was to attack any actions. Then you had pelosi telling everybody to ignore it and come to chinatown for dinner, NY's mayor telling people to go out to eat, and New Orleans telling people to come down to mardi gras etc. Then all of a sudden the democrats realized that hey we can use this for the next 9 months.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    While I am on the subject of COVID, I am planning to install a refrigerator, freezer, and microwave in my truck soon. Right now I am sitting at a truck stop which has cut its restaurant hours down to 11:00 am to 7:00 pm, and this is a TA not some mom and pop shop. This type of nonsense has become commonplace and is growing tiresome. I don't exist for their convenience and will stop participating very soon. The consensus derived from talking to the staff is that business is in the toilet but the bean counters are too fixated on cutting expenses to see that they are cutting their potential to make money even though they keep increasing prices well beyond general inflation. All in the name of COVID, lack of any identifiable connection notwithstanding.

I guess I never knew you were a truck driver, thanks for keeping our stuff moving!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Link to Ohio's Covid dashboard. Updated 13 Dec. 79% of all death represented by those 70+ 53% 80+

SSA actuarial predictions for persons born in 1950 (the youngest in that cohort) 73.5 for males and 79.3 for females

Survey sez most of them were on borrowed time

Edit: Oops, left out the link

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards/key-metrics/mortality

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I see actual people who are sick briefly, recover and go on with life. I hear horror stories that in my observation are unsubstantiated. I see politicians weaponizing the virus and weaponizing the sheep in the effort to strip us of basic freedoms and to willfully wreck our economy and the lives of huge numbers of people while greatly benefiting handpicked "essential" winners in the redistribution.

What conclusion am I supposed to draw other than thepandemic is 95% horse **** foisted on us by domestic enemies who need a long fall with a short rope?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So We have Trump Supporters and Cuomo supporters agreeing?

Post so folks can point out the obvious flaw.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom