dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Indeed.

But, check my math. US population = ~330M. The pandemic will absolutely be over (herd immunity conjecture notwithstanding) once everyone has been exposed and their case resolved. With a CFR (Case Fatality Rate) of 1%, then 1% of 330M is 3.3M.

Ok, let's say the CFR is less than that and herd immunity kicks in at 2/3 infected. That's still ~2M dead Americans. And we're more than 10% of the way there.

I stopped caring about the WHO pretty early. And the guidance from the CDC through this has been... suspect. I don't expect much better from the Biden administration, either.

tough to tell what the real IFR is

Here's some other info that could be used for a thumb-in-the-air estimate of total population deaths. This was an area of Brazil where the pandemic went pretty much unmitigated for a few months. Serology was used to estimate prevalence, and they think about 70% of the population was infected. https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/12/07/science.abe9728/tab-pdf

The final death toll estimated from confirmed Covid deaths and uncomfirmed with similar disease patterns ended up being 2.6 per 1000 population.

Would the US be similar? We have better healthcare but it suffers with high case load. I think we have a lot more obesity and heart disease, but I'm not sure.

If we just use the same numbers, that would be about 850K dead

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Would the US be similar? We have better healthcare but it suffers with high case load. I think we have a lot more obesity and heart disease, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, there's a multitude of variables, and in some ways it feels like certain things since April haven't really changed in that regard.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm stuck in the "just 10 more pounds to lose" phase. But, my BP is consistently better than it was back then.

Huzzah!

At 6'3", I officially break into the "ideal weight range" at 200 and below. I am 205/06.

To keep it thread specific, I had some blood drawn today for normal tests to keep my comorbidities under control. I had them throw in an antibody test. I am not expecting a positive on that one..but the vampires were taking the blood anyhow.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    There either a pandemic or there isn't. All I care about is when restrictions are reduced and eliminated and that is only tangentially related to whether there is a dictionary-definition pandemic going on.

In Indiana, as of late June and July, we were getting really close to the restrictions being removed and there was certainly still a pandemic. The key, at the time, was that there was plenty of ICU/hospital capacity and a relatively low transmission rate.

We are long past deluding ourselves into believing these decisions have anything to do with actual science or data.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My mom called me about an experience she had tonight. She was in line at a grocery store behind a guy with a gun and a body camera. He was ranting about this virus being a hoax and it doesn’t exist. He then demanded that she agree with him. She told him she is a nurse and it’s absolutely real. He then cussed at her and called her names. This year has really exposed the crazy.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't think you should just take a shot in the dARK when guessing who it may be.

Besides, I haven't seen any BIG RED flags to suggest that he's a member here.

:)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We are long past deluding ourselves into believing these decisions have anything to do with actual science or data.

And they are taking away the decision making from doctors and patients and giving it to the bureaucracy...

[h=1]Doctors tell Senate they're attacked for saving COVID patients[/h]https://www.wnd.com/2020/12/doctors-tell-senate-attacked-saving-covid-patients/

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's true for every vaccine, AFAIK

It's best for people with tendency to allergic reactions to get the vaccine at a medical facility and hang around for about 30 minutes.

They can also be pre-medicated to reduce the chance of a reaction if they have a known risk.

Vaccines and every other substance which is injected.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom