Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Each of those has been justified at one time or another in our history (and some arguably worse). Except maybe the elections one. I'm not sure about that on any large scale. Well, we shifted our primary this year, but I don't know whether you would count that.

My point is that emergencies are what they are, and very difficult to define. That's why it is important to elect people who are - my words - of a responsible disposition to exercise that authority.

Which leads back to my point - vigilance. We need to be vigilant about making sure the "over-"reach doesn't extend beyond what is necessary. Fortunately, we do have the power of the ballot box (Trump's protestations notwithstanding) to un-elect leaders that abuse the power.

I'm trying to enumerate the nuance, but it seems that you're mostly taking the following, very absolute positions:

1. "Emergency" is a sufficient reason to infringe upon constitutionally protected rights and essential liberties, and "emergency" is a binary consideration
    2. "Emergency" needs only a rational basis rationale for said infringement
    3. If a constitutional right or essential liberty has been infringed/violated in the past due to any justification, it is fair game to be infringed/violated again

Since you seem to keep trying to paint me into the exact opposite corner, I think this is a fair/reasonable assessment of your positions. If these are your views, then I will indeed take the opposing, absolutist positions.

On the other hand, if we can agree that the two opposites represent two ends of a spectrum, perhaps we could instead have a discussion about where the appropriate middle ground is, and the basis for finding that middle ground.

(But if I'm forced to take one of the two, absolutist views, I'll gladly take the side that errs on the side of the philosophy articulated in the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed...")

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Well we will see what happens with my scheduled, not-to-be-completed test today.

My employee came in last Monday morning with symptoms of a head cold, which I didn't find out about for a couple of hours. I sent her home, She tested positive on a Covid rapid test Tuesday.

I was not technically considered an "exposure" because i was not within 6' of her for 15 minutes. We also mask, we use a powerful overhead exhaust fan if anyone even wants to unmask to sip coffee, we use separate computers and phones, etc. Nonetheless I was working closely with her for a few minutes and we handled some of the same syringes (all be it with a lot of hand washing). So the past 10 days I've isolated from my family at home, I cancelled some routine work so I could keep those us at work even more separate than normal, and I scheduled a couple of tests.

I had a negative test from earlier this week. Since I'm 10 days in with no symptoms and testing is overwhelmed, I decided not to test today. There is no online option for cancelling, and I suspect phoning is just going to create one more hassle in their busy day. So I'm just going to be a "no show" (which bugs me, but not much I can do). We'll see if I get any kind of message later.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    09o55ap.jpg

Nah. Those people are too happy. Conspiracy theorists would have angry faces and drapes drawn so the government couldn't peek in. Same picture in a basement possibly, with lights going down the escape tunnel.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Nah. Those people are too happy. Conspiracy theorists would have angry faces and drapes drawn so the government couldn't peek in. Same picture in a basement possibly, with lights going down the escape tunnel.

So, basically, a picture of current-day Jews in NYC?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I don't know the Venn diagram of NYC Jews and Conspiracy Theorists.

I would think the NYC Jews circle to be too big. Wouldn't it be more NYC Orthodox Jews?

Ask DeBlasio. He'll know which ones he's been sending goon squads to harass.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well we will see what happens with my scheduled, not-to-be-completed test today.

My employee came in last Monday morning with symptoms of a head cold, which I didn't find out about for a couple of hours. I sent her home, She tested positive on a Covid rapid test Tuesday.

I was not technically considered an "exposure" because i was not within 6' of her for 15 minutes. We also mask, we use a powerful overhead exhaust fan if anyone even wants to unmask to sip coffee, we use separate computers and phones, etc. Nonetheless I was working closely with her for a few minutes and we handled some of the same syringes (all be it with a lot of hand washing). So the past 10 days I've isolated from my family at home, I cancelled some routine work so I could keep those us at work even more separate than normal, and I scheduled a couple of tests.

I had a negative test from earlier this week. Since I'm 10 days in with no symptoms and testing is overwhelmed, I decided not to test today. There is no online option for cancelling, and I suspect phoning is just going to create one more hassle in their busy day. So I'm just going to be a "no show" (which bugs me, but not much I can do). We'll see if I get any kind of message later.

Now... if they tell you you're positive...:n00b: That's not like getting out of line at DQ.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

In case you can't see behind the (very flimsy) paywall:

Mayor Joe Hogsett at the groundbreaking for the Pando apartments. The project aims to first help young adults who have aged out of foster care to secure a safe living arrangement, then to offer them support resources. (IBJ photo/Eric Learned)

Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett announced Wednesday afternoon that he and his wife, Steph Hogsett, have begun quarantining after having close contact with a person last weekend who subsequently tested positive for COVID-19.

Neither Mayor Hogsett nor his wife were exhibiting symptoms of the disease, according to the announcement. Based on guidance from the Marion County Public Health Department, they plan to be tested at the end of the week.

They expect to remain in quarantine at least through Dec. 4. The announcement provided no other details.

Hogsett is far from the first public official to decide to quarantine after a close brush with someone with the disease.

Gov. Eric Holcomb and his wife, Janet, began quarantining on Nov. 17 after several members of the governor’s security team tested positive for COVID-19. They tested negative for the infection several days later and reported no symptoms. They plan to continue to stay in isolation until Dec. 1.

This story will be updated.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    In case you can't see behind the (very flimsy) paywall:
    Considering that this moron is always facetiming (is that a word?) the news media from his office while wearing a mask , I'm sure he's ok cause masks are effective. (right?)
    He surely wouldn't go to a public event maskless unless he was a f'in moron. OK, mystery solved.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Considering that this moron is always facetiming (is that a word?) the news media from his office while wearing a mask , I'm sure he's ok cause masks are effective. (right?)
    He surely wouldn't go to a public event maskless unless he was a f'in moron. OK, mystery solved.

My understanding is you are considered a "close contact" if you are within 6' of an infected case for 15 minutes or more (cumulative for the day) whether masked, PPE, or not. I think this is true even if you are outdoors. Obviously the risk really varies by some of the circumstances but I understand when you are setting policy for 300 million people you need to keep it somewhat simple.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Gabriel Bosslet, a pulmonologist and critical care doc from IU Health has been keeping up a useful facebook page throughout the pandemic. He and Micah Pollak (economics professor at IU Northwest) have worked together repeatedly on discussing state data.

This is a post about their predicted upcoming hospitalizations and deaths. If the current slight decline in positivity holds for the moment, we'll still see nearly 100 Indiana Covid deaths per day for a while. What happens after that may depend on what people are doing this week.

https://twitter.com/MicahPollak/status/1330996603327569923

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Gabriel Bosslet, a pulmonologist and critical care doc from IU Health has been keeping up a useful facebook page throughout the pandemic. He and Micah Pollak (economics professor at IU Northwest) have worked together repeatedly on discussing state data.

This is a post about their predicted upcoming hospitalizations and deaths. If the current slight decline in positivity holds for the moment, we'll still see nearly 100 Indiana Covid deaths per day for a while. What happens after that may depend on what people are doing this week.

https://twitter.com/MicahPollak/status/1330996603327569923

Is Micah an Austrian? A Keynesian?

Just curious.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I’m kinda of a different mind. I think emergencies, by definition, are not long term. The thing causing the emergency may become long term, in which case responsibility for making laws should be with legislators and not just to keep doling out emergency powers. So the the governor would have the authority to make executive orders to deal with an emergency, which would automatically expire after some period after having declared a state of emergency. 30/45/60 days. Whatever. Thereafter it would be up to the legislature to write laws to deal with the thing for a longer term. And maybe that means granting some limited authority to the governor to react as needed. But authority that would allow the governor to act like a king and just make any old decrees just wouldn’t work.

It seems to be 'working' in a number of places, including Cali, NY and MI

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My understanding is you are considered a "close contact" if you are within 6' of an infected case for 15 minutes or more (cumulative for the day) whether masked, PPE, or not. I think this is true even if you are outdoors. Obviously the risk really varies by some of the circumstances but I understand when you are setting policy for 300 million people you need to keep it somewhat simple.

So this right there indicates mask wear doesn't do anything, if it did, there would be a different outcome if exposed...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom