• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    They've been up for a little while now. I'm just not sure nickel boron is worth the extra $60. Still pacing in my hallway trying to decide. All 5 of my regular M16 BCG's have yet to fail me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'll probably get one for my next build. I would like to know who coats them for PSA.

Unfortunately I know just enough about coating steel to not want to take a chance on just anyone who decides to jump on the NiBo bandwagon.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've had both, both ran great. If you are good at maintaining your guns don't bother. If not, get one. Don't know who PSA gets them from (probably whoever has them at the time) but Failzero and spike's (same thing) and WMD are all good.

Last edited:

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Aimsurplus has been selling their house bran NiB BCG for a while at $130, currently sold out thou.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What about this brand sold by Botach? $130:

Kley-Zion M16/M4 5.56mm & 7.62mm Nickel Boron Complete Bolt Carrier Groups - Botach
    ar15-bolt-carrier-group-auto-556-223-nickel-boron-800x4591__04573.1392080983.1280.1280.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I caught a "sale" on my last one. It was a WMD for $192, tax and all. For me it was worth it. I am pretty anal about keeping my firearms clean, but I am getting better! lol.

It's not like you can just take any old BCG and dip it in a bucket of Nickel Boron and let it drip dry. There is a lot of work that needs to be done to have some insurance that it will adhere and stay adhered to the steel. You also have to make sure the dimensions are correct after adding the coating.

I don't think they are necessary, but I like them and I think the added lubricity of the coating may make it cycle smoother. Easier to clean is nice too.

Plus, they look cool!

I would only buy a WMD or a Fail Zero. I would buy the Fail Zero at Botach for $170 if I was ready for it.

Last edited:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Unfortunately I know just enough about coating steel to not want to take a chance on just anyone who decides to jump on the NiBo bandwagon.

I don't either but I've always heard good things about PSA products and customer service .

I've heard their shipping can suck but otherwise they're GTG .

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have been blessed with zero BCG problems to date. How does one determine good from bad? Do they work poorly from the beginning? If they work well from the beginning, do "bad ones" show signs of problems or just start not working?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Would you buy a bcg without knowing if the bolt was c158, 8620, 9130, etc? Why buy nickel boron if they aren't properly applying the coating that people pay so much extra for?

STOP POSTING THIS CRAP !!!!!! You're making me second guess my purchase , lol .

FWIW , the bolts are C158 , IDK how they are coated .

I'll be trying out two of them within the next few weeks and I'll post up how it goes . One will be in a 5.56 and the other will be in a 300 Blk rifle .

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do you have a PSA NB BCG or just a regular one .

Just parkerized.

I'm considering investing in one of these coated BCGs as a backup and or next build. As noted above, I haven't really researched the particulars of what makes them good and bad and how or whether one can work that out?

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    I have both bolt carriers. One from PSA and one from WMD. The WMD's finish has mostly worn off after shooting less than 1000 rounds. I do use a suppressor though, which makes things a bit more dirty. I've put less rounds on the PSA, but the finish seems to be holding up better. Both work fine though. Given a chance to go back, I wouldn't make the recommendation to buy one at all. They do not provide functionality, and regular bolt carrier groups will fire fine for hundreds or even a thousand rounds. It only makes cleaning a bit faster... as long as the finish doesn't burn off.

Top Bottom