• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I really like them as its one of the few shops I have actually purchased a gun from. another bonus for me is it is the only gun shop that has actually like me take my bike inside the shop. I was going to get some ruger 10/22 mags and a lite22/45 but they didnt have either last time i went but so didnt anyone else.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Beech Grove Firearms is to be commended for actually having firearms . . . IN THE STORE.

I have only been to BGF a few times but have yet to hear "we can order whatever you want" in the store.

One of my pet peeves of gun stores is stores that have nothing on hand in inventory and then express bewilderment that people do not come in.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    One of my pet peeves of gun stores is stores that have nothing on hand in inventory and then express bewilderment that people do not come in.

One of my pet peeves as a retailer was hearing those words from a customer who'd just come in to buy a Blastomatic left-handed bolt action, in the stainless finish with the Grade II checkered walnut stock, in 7.8mm Super Medium Magnum, and when told "Well, I could order that for you," would flounce out with a huff and a "I'll just go find a real gun store that has it in stock!"

Yeah, good luck with that. Shelf space is finite; potential inventory items are not.

(Conversely, you've gotta keep that shelf space full; people don't like to buy from an empty-looking store. The trick is knowing what to stock. BGF manages to cram that little storefront with a pretty fair variety of stuff.)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Blastomatic left-handed bolt action, in the stainless finish with the Grade II checkered walnut stock, in 7.8mm Super Medium Magnum, and when told "Well, I could order that for you," would flounce out with a huff and a "I'll just go find a real gun store that has it in stock!"

Pffft, I'll bet you didn't even have it in the Real Mossy Maple camo that I wanted. BTW, I wanted the UberSuper Medium Magnum in 6.5MM, thank you very much.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    For those who are praising BGF....have you been to other gun shops in town? Do you have something to which you can compare? I've been there 3 times. They'd have to pay me to come back. "Great service." "Great people to deal with." Really? You can't go in their tiny store for 5 seconds w/o being arm-twisted into getting your wallet out to buy something. They don't allow anyone to just browse their guns. You either buy, quickly, or you get out. No exceptions. The most annoying of all is the old, skinny guy (that is, when they can get him back in the store and off the sidewalk outside where he smokes 50 minutes out of each hour.) Their business model, for a gun shop, is hopelessly flawed.

For those of you tripping over yourselves to post how much you like them, get out and experience some other shops in town. There are zero good shops in the Indy area but there are several which are definitely better than BGF.

I see you are the common denominator in this equation of gun store ratings. The only person on here that thinks all Indy gun stores suck is you. While I have never been to BGF, from the TONS of great experiences that are constantly listed on this forum, I can make a safe judgement call that infact, they have a nice store. Next time I am in Indy, I have the plan to stop by a couple of these shops (I havent told my wife yet, I might just try to do it, and risk her being upset on the ride home)...

In closing, I will ask you Mr. Jake46184... Can you give us an example of a more suitable and appropriate gun shop that would treat us, as gun enthusiasts, any better??

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Beech Grove Firearms is to be commended for actually having firearms . . . IN THE STORE.

I have only been to BGF a few times but have yet to hear "we can order whatever you want" in the store.

I agree with this, i stopped at KS&E to look at a CZ that i was interested in only to be told they could order it. I can order it and most likely cheaper, i want to hold it to make sure i like it.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I have been to Beech Grove Firearms twice and both times was waited on the by owner, Greg Burge. He was patient, helpful,knowledgable,professional, and just nice to deal with in every way. I purchased NFA items both times and when one of the transfers had a minor hangup his wife helped me through it with much patience. I have to drive 2 hours to get to this shop and it was worth the trip both times.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    For those who are praising BGF....have you been to other gun shops in town? Do you have something to which you can compare? I've been there 3 times. They'd have to pay me to come back. "Great service." "Great people to deal with." Really? You can't go in their tiny store for 5 seconds w/o being arm-twisted into getting your wallet out to buy something. They don't allow anyone to just browse their guns. You either buy, quickly, or you get out. No exceptions. The most annoying of all is the old, skinny guy (that is, when they can get him back in the store and off the sidewalk outside where he smokes 50 minutes out of each hour.) Their business model, for a gun shop, is hopelessly flawed.

For those of you tripping over yourselves to post how much you like them, get out and experience some other shops in town. There are zero good shops in the Indy area but there are several which are definitely better than BGF.

This is just plain B.S.! Any time I go to a gun shop for the first time, it's usually just to check the place out, get an idea of what they stock and to get a general idea of the place.
    My first trip to BGF was no different, the guy behind the counter was nice, asked if he could help me, I told him it was my first time there and that I was just checking them out. No pressure, no rush, actually ended up handling a few different rifles, and had a pretty lengthy discussion about scopes, and he checked the computer to get a price on a rifle that I was interested in that they did not have in stock. I left with a couple brochures of scopes, a good price quote on a rifle, and a good idea of who I was dealing with AND I was in there for at least 30 minutes, never saw anyone outside smoking (not that there would be anything wrong with that!), never was rushed, or made to feel like there was any pressure to "get my wallet out"!:dunno:

Oh yeah, "zero good shops in the Indy area"? Where do you buy your guns and accessories?

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've been to BGF a few times and have always been treated with courtesy and respect. I have never purchased anything from them but last time I was there my friend bought an HK 416 22. He got a fair price and good service and some swag to boot. I like their selection and the "Old gun shop feel". To be honest there are only 2 gun shops in the Indy area I don't care for and I'm not alone in my dislike of them. All shops have a different ambiance and a different selection to browse. I enjoy chatting with most of the owners of the local shops. To each their own I suppose. :twocents:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I would like this response to start by thanking almost everyone for your kind comments. We at Beech Grove Firearms strive on a daily basis to give the best service and the best prices in Indianapolis and the Central Indiana area. Although it is tough for any gun shop to have the best price on every single item at any given time, I think we do a darm good job of it on average.

To address a couple concerns and make a couple confessions:

1. YES, we do have a tiny store. Our store located at 207 Main Street in Beech Grove would fit in most peoples living rooms. But that will soon change when we move 1 block North into a new state of the art 12,000+ square foot facility at 3020 S. Emerson, which will rival any gun store and range in the midwest. We hope this move will improve the customers expierence not only in shopping but also with live firing and classroom training and practice.

2. Yes, the old gray guy likes to smoke. We make him go outside. But that old gray guy has years and years and years of gun shop and customer service expierence. He is an excellent salesman, a good friend and we are proud to have him. We sure the heck wouldn't want him at one of our competitors shops. So for now, we will keep his smoking clause in his contract. Maybe in the new shop we can make him go out back.

3. To say we either make you buy or get out I have one word to respond to that.....Herman. (Inside joke, but I'm sure the sharp readers will pick it up.)

I did not post this to claim "better" or "worse", but to only explain our side. As always we thank all of our customers for your prior business, we invite you back and we would love to see new customers as well.

Respectfully,

Corey A. Shaffer
    Director of Marketing
    Beech Grove Firearms, Inc

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I like that they stick up for their smoker employee instead of sending him to classes on etiquette, or any crap like most companies do to their employees these days when someone makes an irrational complaint.

I'll be sure to check BGF out next time I'm out that way...

:yesway:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    LOL

Corey, those who don't get #3 haven't spent much time in any gunshop that's ever been anywhere near Beech Grove. Heck, for a long time I thought Herman's last name was Albro. :D

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana

Wow, I just don't agree with this analysis.

There are many good ones and BGF is among them. Granted, an old, skinny man smoking out front isn't a big negative for me, and I haven't had a pushy sales experience as you describe either.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

I like many others have already said have never been pressured to buy anything in BFG.

You are incorrect about there being zero good shops in the Indy area. We are very fortunate here in the Indy area to have an abundance of great gun shops to patronize and comparison shop.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Guys, ignore jake...he's just a troll who like nothing better to do than crap on everybody's thread.

Thumbs up BGF, can't wait for the new store to open!

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I'd like to add a "Me too!" to the kudos for BGF. I was looking for a .40 Sig SP2022. The guys ordered it for me and because I work downtown and can't always get out of the office before 6:00, were willing to stay open a little late to give me time to make it in. I'm really looking forward to the new store / range as well. I'm definitely a repeat customer.

Top Bottom