Became a Site Supporter....just because.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The Classified section seems to be filling up with lots of new folks who never post anywhere else. Wonder what the reaction would be, if INGO raised the minimum post count to 100, before you could buy and sell?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The Classified section seems to be filling up with lots of new folks who never post anywhere else. Wonder what the reaction would be, if INGO raised the minimum post count to 100, before you could buy and sell?

Why not let the Ingo community make the decision?
    Keep the site sponsorships in place, but disconnect them from the classifieds. We get no insight into someone paying to access the classifieds, other than the fact that they are here, at least in part for that reason.
    Say, you only need 10 posts, like it was to begin with, but this time you need 10 posts that gain you reputation points from established members.
    Set a minimum of positive feedback from the community as a whole.
    This will give us a chance to get to know someone, and would likely eliminate a large chunk of the "racers".

Then we would also be able to see who is here to contribute, and who is just here to troll...

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    As someone who has a few more than 50 posts, what's the big deal about people coming to INGO specifically for the classifieds? I dont think it really hurts anything. I mean, yeah it'd be great if they stuck around and contributed, but I don't think it "brings the forum down" like a few have suggested. Do you guys not buy things from GunBroker, EBay, etc?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As someone who has a few more than 50 posts, what's the big deal about people coming to INGO specifically for the classifieds? I dont think it really hurts anything. I mean, yeah it'd be great if they stuck around and contributed, but I don't think it "brings the forum down" like a few have suggested. Do you guys not buy things from GunBroker, EBay, etc?

Those are not "forums"
    And, they also have rules. Violate the rules, they can kick you out.
    Earlier mods and Fenway came up with these rules for a reason. Come to the forum, someone should be able to follow our rules.
    I lurked, studied people and their actions, and read the FAQs before signing up.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.

Well, I've never bought or posted in classifieds, but if I was going to I think I'd research who I was dealing with before making a transaction. If they haven't contributed much I'd be weary. If they have then the odds are they're reputable. I don't post much, but I browse a lot. Too much to learn here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Lets let the membership deal with them.
    Buy their stuff or don't

There is on occasion something in there that is fairly priced.
    My main interests are 1911's/AR's etc so none of the Tuperware in there grabs my attention but somebody wants/likes it.
    Variety. That is the key.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I made my statement because if you're meeting them in person you're going to be seeing the "goods" before exchanging money, so there's no real chance of getting scammed unless you don't inspect the gun(or whatever you're buying) before handing the payment over.

I personally have no problem with the 50 post rule, I'm just not a bug supporter of it either. I'm indifferent. I'm just saying that if the only reason they're here is for the classifieds and they never post anywhere else, how's that any different than if they had never joined the forum at all(which is what would happen if they don't have access to the classifieds)? I guess I'd rather have them here strictly for the classifieds than not at all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I made my statement because if you're meeting them in person you're going to be seeing the "goods" before exchanging money, so there's no real chance of getting scammed unless you don't inspect the gun(or whatever you're buying) before handing the payment over.

I personally have no problem with the 50 post rule, I'm just not a bug supporter of it either. I'm indifferent. I'm just saying that if the only reason they're here is for the classifieds and they never post anywhere else, how's that any different than if they had never joined the forum at all(which is what would happen if they don't have access to the classifieds)? I guess I'd rather have them here strictly for the classifieds than not at all.

Think with me for a moment.
    We (staff) have to deal with the classifieds on a daily basis. You do not.
    Not a jab or a knock but a fact.
    We need some concrete ground rules so we can keep things rolling smoothly.
    Like it or not the 50 is in place. I would be OK with the 100 mark myself as it might weed out a few folks that we will eventually have to deal with. Might not.

This post is not targeting you or your post just using it to make my point.

Thanks.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Think with me for a moment.
    We (staff) have to deal with the classifieds on a daily basis. You do not.
    Not a jab or a knock but a fact.
    We need some concrete ground rules so we can keep things rolling smoothly.
    Like it or not the 50 is in place. I would be OK with the 100 mark myself as it might weed out a few folks that we will eventually have to deal with. Might not.

This post is not targeting you or your post just using it to make my point.

Thanks.

I'd be fine with that. With ~1500 posts, I'd have a few to spare. Ha.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Good on ya OP! I did the same thing after being a member here a few months. Actually, my first membership expired last week and when it did I immediately re-upped. Even did it via PayPal, which I have a complete hatred for :)

You are all good with me sir and thank you for your service. Sadness here for your plight.

Yup, maybe some tight nit groups but hey.......get into the discussions. We absolutely can not bite you over the interwebs.
    Truth is, I have made so many great friends and good acquaintances from Ingo that my phone log is 2/3rds members.
    It took a bit to wade through the site to find a niche but once I did.........:woot:

Exactly right. Take the time to participate in the conversations and if possible, attend some INGO get togethers. Some darn fine people here! :ingo:

Top Bottom