• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clovis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Sorry to bump a thread well over a year old. I found this thread by googling 'black bear sightings in Indiana'.

In the late spring of 2005, I was at Johnson County Park with a friend. JCP was once part of Camp Atterbury.

We were walking the road that leads to the steel bridge, and saw what we both strongly believe to be a black bear. The bear was about 100 yards from us, in an open field, and sat watching us for maybe 10 minutes.

We both thought that our eyes were playing tricks on us, and we eventually allowed disbelief to set in. "Black bears in Indiana? There hasn't been one sighted since the 1800's" we thought.

We walked on, and when we returned to the same spot about 15 minutes later, the bear was gone.

When you consider that JCP is about 6000 acres, which abuts to Atterbury with 40,000+ acres, and is in close proximity to Brown County and Yellow Wood, where the OP found the tracks, it makes sense that black bears could be living in the wild here.

Laugh and howl at me, if you wish...I would give anything to have had a good camera with me that day.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    My father and grandfather were told years ago, that in the mid-late 70's, there was a DNR "test" release of approx. 16 black bear in Brown County. Within 2 months, 7-8 had been found dead, shot by hunters or landowners, or whoever. The rest were unaccounted for, but if the rest had 2 or 3 breeding pairs left, it could happen.

It was supposedly deemed a failure and not publicized. I think my dad said a CO or retired CO was the one that told my grandfather about it.

Just the rumor passed down to me, but makes a good story...

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I love hearing stories like this. A diverse wildlife in Indiana would be a great boon to the state. There really is nothing like seeing an elk or bear or large cat out in the wild.

As far as farmers having a problem with them. That is solved easily enough with the right dogs guarding the herd. Since farming was invented, people have been using dogs to guard their herds from lions, wolves, etc.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I suck at paint, but I see a dog.

dog.jpg

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Irregardless of what made those prints, I grew up in that area and can tell you with a great degree of certainty that there are in FACT bears, cougars and bobcats in yellow wood. Don't bother trying to report a sighting though as the DNR in that area will laugh and make jokes all the time telling you how nutz you are as they sit drinking their coffee collecting pay checks and trying to decide what area to go harass kids on 4 wheelers at the following week. Funny thing about those cougars that don't exist though, once they started to eat joggers and bicyclists the story became a bit different.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ain't scared to dust off an old thread.

Was googling about bears in Indiana and this came up.... along with this:

Outdoors: Indiana DNR won't believe black bear sighting | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Now I had camped at Spring Mill and wouldn't doubt a small bear population could survive but ROSELAWN? Seems a tad sparse as far as really wooded areas but brother, if a bear decided he was gonna live on soy beans and corn he would certainly be living high on the hog in those parts. My god that's close too...

Good for you Yogi

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Wouldn't surprise me to see a bear, anywhere in IN.
    I bet lots of folks have animals without permits, and should one get loose, they probably aren't going to report it.
    Taken further, somebody might raise a couple and turn them loose just to get a population started. Bet some have done it with Russian bloodline boar (hence the issue up in Mich with such pigs raised for supposed meat).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I ain't scared to dust off an old thread.

Was googling about bears in Indiana and this came up.... along with this:

Outdoors: Indiana DNR won't believe black bear sighting | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Now I had camped at Spring Mill and wouldn't doubt a small bear population could survive but ROSELAWN? Seems a tad sparse as far as really wooded areas but brother, if a bear decided he was gonna live on soy beans and corn he would certainly be living high on the hog in those parts. My god that's close too...

Good for you Yogi

Wouldn't surprise me to see a bear, anywhere in IN.
    I bet lots of folks have animals without permits, and should one get loose, they probably aren't going to report it.
    Taken further, somebody might raise a couple and turn them loose just to get a population started. Bet some have done it with Russian bloodline boar (hence the issue up in Mich with such pigs raised for supposed meat).

Not out of the realm of possibility that a black bear somehow wandered down into NWI from Wisconsin or some such...

But IF it were truly a bear that was spotted - then my money is on an escaped or released "pet".

-J-

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Proving once again that there is more than corn, UFOs, Bigfoot and Chupucabras in Indiana!

Seriously though, I would not be surprised if there are a few bear and maybe wolves and cougars wandering around Hoosier National Forest or similar remote areas. No reason why not. Animals, despite what the DNR might say, do not know they are supposed to be extinct in certain areas and do not respect state lines. Guess they just don't read the publications.

Top Bottom