• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This is where I think it all comes down to QC. I have a 6.5 grendel bca barrel, not complete upper, just the barrel, that shoots wolf steel cased ammo 3/4" at 100 yards.
    I use a 20" BCA 6.5 Grendel barrel as well on mine. I get the same accuracy as you do with Hornady Black Box, and my SST loads. My SST loads shoot a little under 0.7". It's probably more accurate than that, but that's the best I can do. I'm talking multiple 5 shot group averages.
    Not saying I don't pull a few here and there. I'm not perfect.

Edit:
    The 6.5 barrel and a few 7.62x39mm barrels were all good. So I decided to try out a complete 20" 223 wylde upper. As stated above I haven't shot it enough to give any recommendation.

Last edited:

Dr.Octagon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2024
    Crown Point
    So I’ve been looking at building an AR and want to get a better idea on a good low cost upper that will last a decently long time and have the least ammount of issues. Sorry if this isn’t the correct place to post this but I’ve seen countless arguments going every which way on every place I’ve looked.
    I’ve purchased a few uppers and lowers and lots of ammo from PSA, great company, great customer service, great warrantee. I found a blem lower with a Geissele trigger for dirt cheap. I’d vote Palmetto all day

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You takes your chances with PSA. And you *really* takes your chances with BCA.

Do you really *know* the quality of their parts? Are they in-spec? Do you know their QA/QC process? Do you know that it's assembled to correct specs?

Some companies' reputations are such that you don't really have to worry about quality parts being used, quality parts being to-spec, and said quality parts being assembled to correct spec. And this isn't necessarily cost dependent. There's a reason that Radical firearms are nicknamed Radically Out Of Spec.

It's your $ - so youse can takes your chances to save a buck (which may end up costing you who knows how much more to get it to work right) or you can look at something like Aero Precision which has a MUCH higher likelihood of being good to go right out of the box.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Bear Creek barrels are trash. I tried one of their 6.5 grendel and 300BLK barrels (5 years ago). Neither would shoot better than a 5 inch group at 50 yards no matter the ammo I used. Switched to an Odin Works barrel and instantly was MOA or better.

Go with PSA at least they stand by there products if you can provide them proof of fault.

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    You takes your chances with PSA. And you *really* takes your chances with BCA.

Do you really *know* the quality of their parts? Are they in-spec? Do you know their QA/QC process? Do you know that it's assembled to correct specs?

Some companies' reputations are such that you don't really have to worry about quality parts being used, quality parts being to-spec, and said quality parts being assembled to correct spec. And this isn't necessarily cost dependent. There's a reason that Radical firearms are nicknamed Radically Out Of Spec.

It's your $ - so youse can takes your chances to save a buck (which may end up costing you who knows how much more to get it to work right) or you can look at something like Aero Precision which has a MUCH higher likelihood of being good to go right out of the box.

Do you have data or significant use of both that shows Aero is that much better than BCA with regard to being in spec? Because I think reputation wise, BCA is getting a bad rap because they're inexpensive. People equate spending significant dollars on something with it being high quality when that's not always the case.

As an example, it's interesting the image people have of Remington's reputation being so great even though they, based on claims in multiple lawsuits, manufactured rifles with defective trigger mechanisms that caused numerous deaths. "Reputation" without data to support it is literally nothing more than opinion...

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Bear Creek barrels are trash. I tried one of their 6.5 grendel and 300BLK barrels (5 years ago). Neither would shoot better than a 5 inch group at 50 yards no matter the ammo I used. Switched to an Odin Works barrel and instantly was MOA or better.

Go with PSA at least they stand by there products if you can provide them proof of fault.

Interesting. I have 2 BCA barrels that both shoot MOA or better.

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    I'd have to see it shot live to believe it.

Don't really care whether you believe me or not. It shoots well for me, which is all that matters.

There are two other guys in this same thread who say they have BCA barrels that shoot sub-MOA. I guess you shouldn't believe them either...

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Don't really care whether you believe me or not. It shoots well for me, which is all that matters.

There are two other guys in this same thread who say they have BCA barrels that shoot sub-MOA. I guess you shouldn't believe them either...
    I definitely would not believe them till I saw it. Known too many people who went with them and none who have been able to show me MOA or better with their barrels.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I definitely would not believe them till I saw it. Known too many people who went with them and none who have been able to show me MOA or better with their barrels.
    I'm just the opposite. I haven't meet anyone that I personally know that has had bad accuracy with their barrels.

100yds 300blkout looks accurate to me.

5.56 upper under 1moa

6mm ARC under 1moa

INGO's very own @sgreen3
    6.5 Creedmoor

Last edited:

Knights1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2024
    Idaho
    PSA makes a solid rifle. They've really increased their quality the past few years.

There's really nothing to complain about with PSA, they even have upper grade offerings. There are other companies out there like Radical Firearms. I just can't find myself supporting a company like BCA.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A MOA or sub-MOA gun is a gun that can do it regularly and consistently over time until things literally begin to wear out.

Getting lucky with a 3-shot group out of a general purpose AR isn't an accurate judge of the platform's capability - nor the shooter's.

TRULY accurate gas guns are 1.5 MOA guns consistently. Like Knights and Hodge. Note - these are 5.56 guns.

If your BCA or PSA AR-15 in 5.56 is *really* a MOA or better gun consistently over many rounds/mags - then you should prove it. Until then, it's literally not believable because the best of the best doesn't do that.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I am a fan of PSA-I have yet to have an issue with mine-somewhere a little over 1,000 rounds, zero hiccups. At this point I have spent more in ammo than I did on the rifle, My thoughts are this, it has a lifetime warranty. Any issues at all, warranty will cover the replacement. They seem to hold up well enough to warrant trying one out. I have a real basic carbine that is reliable and accurate. I plan to purchase a second unit soon before any legislation can stop me.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My BCA 22" 6.5 grendel upper shoots 1.5 inch groups with my suppressor on it only using a bipod. Anybody that doesn't believe me is welcome to come shoot it.

Top Bottom