• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    More to the point why do you buy certain models of handguns. I suspect many of us buy a gun just to tinker with. I was talking with some mods at the recent Bradis event and it occurred to me that often we mod our guns just to mod them.

I have seen threads where comments are made akin to great gun but do to lack of after market parts I got rid of it or passed on it. One such victim of this train of thought is the FNP from FHN.

As an example: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/173805-fnp_9_a.html

Do we shun certain models just because we cant mod them? Are we passing on some very good handguns just because we cant tweak them? Are all these tweaks really necessary or are we just caught up in it? Its great to be an American and its great to live in a country where we have such a variety of handguns and materials / modifications available. But stop and think, do we just get caught up in it? Am I speaking blasphemy, should we continue to tweak just for the sake of tweaking? Are we out of control with all these tweaks and modifications available? Or should I just set down and shut up?

I have to admit I wonder about some of the tweaking I have done. I bought a Glock 22 with night sights because I shot it so well. It was a great gun right out of the box. But then I put a 3.5 connector in it, then the extended mag release. It was fine before, but now it was my precious.

I have a FNP9 and with the exception of perhaps changing the sights sometime in the future I dont feel the need to mod it at all.

I bought a S&W M&P Pro model specifically instead of the standard because it had the trigger mods and particular sights I wanted already installed, that way I didn't have to mess with it. As I get older Im far less into tweaking my guns.

When is it time to back away from the accessories and say, hey its good enough? Im sure it will be easy to admit we have all bought guns specifically because there was so much aftermarket tweaks for it. But then how many guns have we passed on because of the lack of mods available.

:popcorn:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    The answer for me is yes.... I prefer buying a gun I can tinker with.

Its the reason why I touch my 10/22, Remington 700 and AR-15 infinitely more than I do my SR9c and is why I want a 22/45 Lite and would trade my 9mm for one in a heartbeat!!

I guess I should keep the SR9c to carry... but whatevs

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    i have always beleived in making it your own, weather that is a car or a gun. do something to make it yours. does not matter how big or small the modification, as long as you do something. i buy weapons with a good aftermarket base. because modifing is fun. and haveing something that looks just like everybody elses is boring. i wish more manufactures would make a wider variety of accessories for the not so popular weapons.
    tokarev tt33 could us some nice aftermarket sights.
    my wifes makarov has one of the worst da triggers i have ever felt.
    there are plenty of great weapons out there that could use more support.
    I want nicer grips for my 5906. not going to happen at the price i have found for them.
    my next is a 1911.
    i owe it to some people on here, to buy a 1911, and
    there is so much you can do to it to make it yours.
    if you like the factory look, then rock the factory look.
    me, i like my pistol to be different than yours.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The answer for me is yes.... I prefer buying a gun I can tinker with.

Its the reason why I touch my 10/22, Remington 700 and AR-15 infinitely more than I do my SR9c and is why I want a 22/45 Lite and would trade my 9mm for one in a heartbeat!!

I guess I should keep the SR9c to carry... but whatevs

Ah the endless trek for perfection. Just curious have you every bought a gun and was satisfied with it right out of the box?

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i swapped the factory sights for night sights on my m&pc, techsights on my marlin 795 bc the factory sights suck and i had shot one with them and loved it. i had no mod intent when i bought those. my sa-20 and 930spx are completely stock. i removed the laser from my bg .380 because it can vbrate loose and cause a jam (happened, i know how to fix it, but i figured i would go the 100% route).
    my ar-15 on the other hand has been through a couple minor transformations. bought it, then added a quadrail front for it because i shot a friends rifle who had a vert front grip. i liked it, so i did it to mine. added a red dot and 3x magnifier for same reason.
    every rifle has a sling. my sig mosquito is the only firearm i own that i have not changed or added SOMETHING to. all of them have a loose screw behind the trigger. if i could just fix that, they would all shoot a lot better.

edit: to answer your question, i buy firearms to shoot them. if i try something someone else has on their identical firearm, or i find something to be inadequate, that is when i change things. people will mod things to make them their own, or make them better suited to the shooter or task at hand. some just go for "cool" factor.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    i swapped the factory sights for night sights on my m&pc, techsights on my marlin 795 bc the factory sights suck and i had shot one with them and loved it. i had no mod intent when i bought those. my sa-20 and 930spx are completely stock. i removed the laser from my bg .380 because it can vbrate loose and cause a jam (happened, i know how to fix it, but i figured i would go the 100% route).
    my ar-15 on the other hand has been through a couple minor transformations. bought it, then added a quadrail front for it because i shot a friends rifle who had a vert front grip. i liked it, so i did it to mine. added a red dot and 3x magnifier for same reason.
    every rifle has a sling. my sig mosquito is the only firearm i own that i have not changed or added SOMETHING to. all of them have a loose screw behind the trigger. if i could just fix that, they would all shoot a lot better.

edit: to answer your question, i buy firearms to shoot them. if i try something someone else has on their identical firearm, or i find something to be inadequate, that is when i change things. people will mod things to make them their own, or make them better suited to the shooter or task at hand. some just go for "cool" factor.

The cool factor is a good point. This tacticool thing is out of control in my opinion, but then who am I to judge. After all it is America land of the free, free to make choices.

So if the choice has to be made...

Which is better, buying a larger variety of guns and not spending so much on modifications. Or saving the money that would have been used on tweaking and accessories and buying more guns? I'm leaning towards not tweaking as much as I have in the past.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've always kept pistols and revolvers as close to factory as possible. If I want pretty grips I'll change them and keep the factory grips stored away.

There is something I want that I can't find either. It is called a Sarsilmaz K2 in 45acp. I want one so bad that the more I can't find one, the more I feel that I need one. It's one of those things. Not very expensive, but when I find it I'll probably pay more than what they're listing for.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    My guns are all toys. Self defense is just a byproduct. They are all gadgets with moving parts that go clickety- clack. Are there other reasons to buy guns?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    All the guns I have are stock. Well, I guess I do have Crimson Trace laser grips for my 92FS, but I don't consider that tinkering. Off hand, the only thing am thinking of getting is aftermarket sites for my Glock 19. The more expensive a gun is, the less I am REALLY going to not tinker with it.

chefjamescia

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    For me, I buy my guns to do a job. I have a motorcycle and my wife for sexy show pieces. Tweaking or polishing your gun is fine, no judgement here, but too many guys who purport to be of a defensive mindset think that more guns = more safe, not true. if you have them for defensive purposes, pretty isn't always going to put shots on target. I'd rather spend my money on training with a bare bones G19 with XS sights than on modding it. Again, if you have 900 guns and they are all chromed, good for you, but IF you have them for defense, can you use them?

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The cool factor is a good point. This tacticool thing is out of control in my opinion, but then who am I to judge. After all it is America land of the free, free to make choices.

So if the choice has to be made...

Which is better, buying a larger variety of guns and not spending so much on modifications. Or saving the money that would have been used on tweaking and accessories and buying more guns? I'm leaning towards not tweaking as much as I have in the past.

I'm just starting out. So I'd rather buy more guns. Maybe a grip or something so I don't fumble. I actually like very small sights, and the ones people seem to gaggle over look clunky and block the view of the target. I know some have bad eyes, but I can't see anything but blur past a foot without my glasses anywho. I bought the gun, it's already mine. Done deal.:twocents:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    for the most part, I buy guns as tools. But, there are some that are bought for fun and some that blur the lines between fun projects and tools. For instance, I bought a couple of Czech police turn in CZ 75s last year as project guns that would be a tool once completed. Most of my guns get tweaked in some way like grips or night sights, but a few get worked fairly heavily. I have one CZ 75 that was refinished, resprung and converted from D/SA to SA only and it is one of my favorites to shoot and carry. Another 1911 was refinished and had an extended thumb safety installed, but does not get carried much.

I tend to tweak just about everything a bit though. I figure that the manufacturers build a gun to appeal to as wide an audience as possible and that usually means it's been configured in a way is not perfect for anyone, but acceptable to most. I try to bring them back to as close to perfection for my needs as is practical. That usually means night sights or grips.

I do have one gun that was near perfect right out of the box. It's a Sig Scorpion full size 1911. If I do mod that one it will be to add an extended thumb safety.

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Coal Creek, IN
    Being a long time guitar guy, this is VERY similar to other forums/hobbyests/grown-up toys. I have very guilty of getting an "Itch" for things. Be it building or modding, I think the majority of us are connected that way. Very few things I own are stock OEM and that ranges from cars to guns.

Top Bottom