Bass Pro Shop parking lot trade gone bad....(for Kirk)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I'm going to object to the spelling of improper 'low-dead" at this time.
    :): The optional "loded" was considered but deleted as unnecessary to go that far in recreating the accent.

As in "Eye kin point my raffle gon at meye customers in the gun shoppe 'cause eet ain't low-dead . . . BANG! . . . sorry, Cledus."
    Two minor points - one speculative:

1) When it does happen, it's more likely to be one of the customers rather than the proprietor engaging in such behavior.
    2) Proper names can vary, but the few individuals I worked with in the past who bore that name spelled it "Cletus".

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The attempt at recreating the drawl must account for the geographical dialect. For example, in the Ohio Valley sort of southern dialect the long "i" is often pronounced somewhere between long "i" and a short "a", but closer to a short "a". Almost like "ah".

So let's break it down. "Ah kin pone-nt mah rahffle guhen..."

Note "point" doesn't quite have the "i" pronounced as prominently as upper-mid west speech. Also "gun" has two syllables.

"...at mah customahs e-yen..."

They don't tend to pronounce 'r' as much at the end of many words and note the two syllables for "in". In the deep south it's much worse; they really have a hard time with words that really need the 'r' pronounced. Ever hear a native Mississippian try to pronounce "error"? It comes very close to an awkward version of "era".

"...the guhen shaup 'cause e-yit..."

Again two syllables for "it"

"...ayint lowd'd."

I'd say they wouldn't pronounce it low-dead, it'd be more a shorted "lowd'd."

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I wondered how long it would take the big city Hoosiers to make fun of us lowly southern Indiana river rats.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I wondered how long it would take the big city Hoosiers to make fun of us lowly southern Indiana river rats.

Come on dude...You know we rag on them Canadians all day long.......

Oh no deer season...Here come the yuppie Canadians down to the big river to fill our woods up with the sound of.....

"Brad!!! I think I got one big deer...Look...He has spots and a big rack.."

"Uh...That "rack" is actually called an udder and that animal is actually a cow.."

"Udders are boobies right?"

"Sort of"

"So it's a big rack then..."

:)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The attempt at recreating the drawl must account for the geographical dialect. For example, in the Ohio Valley sort of southern dialect the long "i" is often pronounced somewhere between long "i" and a short "a", but closer to a short "a". Almost like "ah".

So let's break it down. "Ah kin pone-nt mah rahffle guhen..."

Note "point" doesn't quite have the "i" pronounced as prominently as upper-mid west speech. Also "gun" has two syllables.

"...at mah customahs e-yen..."

They don't tend to pronounce 'r' as much at the end of many words and note the two syllables for "in". In the deep south it's much worse; they really have a hard time with words that really need the 'r' pronounced. Ever hear a native Mississippian try to pronounce "error"? It comes very close to an awkward version of "era".

"...the guhen shaup 'cause e-yit..."

Again two syllables for "it"

"...ayint lowd'd."

I'd say they wouldn't pronounce it low-dead, it'd be more a shorted "lowd'd."

Here's a map...Now excuse me...I have to barr-ee some tools cuz I am changing the arl in my truck later...I got to ride out to the farm to make sure the far didn't damage the cell phone tar....I need to worsh my hands too...That arl made them greazy....

[h=2]The Hoosier Apex[/h]
    3064842.jpg
    [COLOR=#6600CC !important][FONT=Vollkorn !important]
    The Hoosier Apex (as seen in Figure in map above) is one that astonishes linguists. It is located in the southern/central west part of Indiana and a sliver of the south eastern part of Illinois and what it is is that it suddenly sounds like you just crossed into the state of Alabama. The Hoosier Apex is an example of the South Midland dialect; but it goes beyond that even to where it is almost just like a Southern dialect in itself. There have even been recent discussions about how there is even a Hoosier dialect in itself, taking on a Southern drawl and speaking slowly (Herring, 244). It also occurs to me that once when I was in class a peer student of mine had that when he visits other parts of Indiana they always want to know where it is he is from because he speaks a lot more southern than most anyone else in Indiana, and it just may be because he lives in this apex. I have also noticed that people from Indiana generally pick up a southern accent very easily. A phonological thing Herring points out that happens in the apex is that when someone says greasy the s turns into a z sound, like “greazy” (243).

Albert Mackwardt has been credited with coming up with the name Hoosier Apex. The name itself is not
    anything of significance it is just a clever name, a lot like the word Hoosier. No one really knows how the word Hoosier came about. There have been stories. That I am sure most all Hoosiers have heard but who really knows if any of them are true and if they are which one. Craig M. Carver says that he believes that the Hoosier Apex may be from the early migration of Southerners and they may
    have moved over the Ohio River north into Indiana more than they did other northern states (Herring 244). In the beginning when the migration took place Herring said that the most of them would not have called themselves or thought of themselves as “Midwesterners”, especially since that term was not around until later, but they also did not see themselves as Southerners either (246).
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Now hold on. I may have been born in the North but my roots are in the South. Both parents. And I've lived more years of my adult life in the South, including Mississippi.

Come on dude...You know we rag on them Canadians all day long.......

Oh no deer season...Here come the yuppie Canadians down to the big river to fill our woods up with the sound of.....

"Brad!!! I think I got one big deer...Look...He has spots and a big rack.."

"Uh...That "rack" is actually called an udder and that animal is actually a cow.."

"Udders are boobies right?"

"Sort of"

"So it's a big rack then..."

Honestly, I think y'all have a better way of referring to people than "you guys". "Y'all" as a contraction of "you all" makes more sense. The only problem is that many Southerners swear the proper contraction is "ya'll" which doesn't make more sense.

Here's a map...

That map is WRONG! In Mississippi they told me anything north of Jackson TN is Yankee. GFGT, you barely made it!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I am unaware of this tale...Do tell...(sorry printcraft:))

I get tired of Kirk referencing it without providing any means to actually read it... So I did some digging and did manage to find this: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...4-negligent-discharge-poll-2.html#post2904069

Have I forgot to tell you guys about the accidental discharge with the 870 at Shootrite? Huh, I thought I had told you guys about it.
    :D

Langston, Alabama (Jenny), Shootrite, Triad (2 days pistol, 2 days rifle, 2 days shotgun) with Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch and Tiger McKee of Shootrite:

We we doing one handed drills behind cover. While doing left side, I load my Scattergun Technologies FBI Model 870 with one round of Remington #00. With the weapon on safe, I close the action with my left hand and my right hand is behind my back.

Upon closing the action the weapon discharges clipping a section of the cover. I handed the empty shell to Clint, he ran his finger over the primer and then threw it down. Clint then lectured about the nature of firearm platforms with inertia firing pins and how this can (obviously) happen.

Shook me up pretty good. I have used the 870 platform for decades and have never experienced such a discharge. However, it only takes once and thank goodness the only thing I hit was a mountain in Alabama (Jenny) and a chunk of Tiger's barricade.

Nothing was found to be wrong with the weapon, at Shootrite or when I had the gunsmith (Stu Grell of Attica) tear it apart when I returned to Indiana. I have used the weapon since without any reoccurence.

I've only had such a thing happen with an SKS so far, but the gun was already on target and shouldered when I ran the action, so, nothing was out of the usual safety wise.

One reason I take such objection to stores with "No loaded firearms" signs, because the less intelligent are going to stand there and try to unload their CCW or go back to their car and do it, putting not only themselves, but everyone around them in danger.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It happens when you are clearing your weapon.

True story...

Papaw was unloading his old Winchester Model 97 in the house after a day of rabbit hunting(back in the 1950's)...Mamaw said, "I wish you would do that outside..." Papaw said (as he was racking the slide back again to clear the weapon) "Right here is fine.." Then a large "BOOM!!!!!!

Mamaw's little notions table with the little figurines on it went down like a shot....

Needless to say from that day forth all guns were unloaded outside after a days hunt...

Winchester model 97's were kind of known to do that every now and again...

I remember being a kid back in the 1970's asking mamaw how come her little end table didn't match the rest of the furniture and papaw grabbing his pack of Salem's and Zippo and saying "I am going outside for a smoke" and my dad fighting a grin and saying to me, "That's a touchy subject son and lets not ask that again..."

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Now hold on. I may have been born in the North but my roots are in the South. Both parents. And I've lived more years of my adult life in the South, including Mississippi.

Honestly, I think y'all have a better way of referring to people than "you guys". "Y'all" as a contraction of "you all" makes more sense. The only problem is that many Southerners swear the proper contraction is "ya'll" which doesn't make more sense.

That map is WRONG! In Mississippi they told me anything north of Jackson TN is Yankee. GFGT, you barely made it!

One of my customer's from Alabama one time...He comes in and I usually say "What's up Johnny Reb?" One day I was ribbing him about being from Alabama...He is an engineer for the railroad and his route takes him from Louisville west to Jasper through the rolling hills of Southern Indiana...He looked up at me and said, "I hate to knock you off of your high horse but I have spent a lot of time in Alabama and a lot of time in Southern Indiana and I can tell you this...Indiana is the Mississippi of the Midwest..."

I took it as a compliment although he did not mean it that way....:)

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    I have no scientific support for this, but I believe that racking the slide before dropping the mag is the most common cause of "empty" guns...not being, y'know...empty.

As for calling someone an idiot, maybe it's harsh, but the smartest people sometimes do idiotic stuff. Obviously, myself included. In those moments, I'm an idiot.
    I remember when i was in 5th grade our DARE officer talked about how one of his fellow officers almost shot himself doing just that when going to clean his gun. The guy apparently still couldn't remember in which order to clear his weapon, so every time he would clear it he would rack the slide an extra time just to be sure. It horrified me then and still horrifies me now that a police officer of all people doesn't understand how a gun works well enough to know to remove the magazine first.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    I remember when i was in 5th grade our DARE officer talked about how one of his fellow officers almost shot himself doing just that when going to clean his gun. The guy apparently still couldn't remember in which order to clear his weapon, so every time he would clear it he would rack the slide an extra time just to be sure. It horrified me then and still horrifies me now that a police officer of all people doesn't understand how a gun works well enough to know to remove the magazine first.

Let me offer this for review: A lot of us, particularly those that frequent this board, including myself, and probably you as well, were born and raised in a gun and hunting environment. Thus being that we were raised by responsible parents, and were taught basic gun safety from a very young age, basically had it drilled into us to the point that we understood bad safety habits would cause us to lose our hunting privileges. Kind of like the muscle memory thing. Screw up the safety thing = no more gun for you.

Meanwhile the LEO that you mention probably wasn't raised that way. learned guns, gun function, and gun safety at an adult age. Gun safety, albeit a very important part of his occupation, didn't make as much of an impression on his cranial matter that it did to us when were young.

Just throwing that out there.

I could be wrong.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    One of my customer's from Alabama one time...He comes in and I usually say "What's up Johnny Reb?" One day I was ribbing him about being from Alabama...He is an engineer for the railroad and his route takes him from Louisville west to Jasper through the rolling hills of Southern Indiana...He looked up at me and said, "I hate to knock you off of your high horse but I have spent a lot of time in Alabama and a lot of time in Southern Indiana and I can tell you this...Indiana is the Mississippi of the Midwest..."

I took it as a compliment although he did not mean it that way....:)

Well. I know for a fact that Mississippi is grateful to the state of Alabama because at least Mississippi isn't always dead last in education.

Let me offer this for review: A lot of us, particularly those that frequent this board, including myself, and probably you as well, were born and raised in a gun and hunting environment. Thus being that we were raised by responsible parents, and were taught basic gun safety from a very young age, basically had it drilled into us to the point that we understood bad safety habits would cause us to lose our hunting privileges. Kind of like the muscle memory thing. Screw up the safety thing = no more gun for you.

Meanwhile the LEO that you mention probably wasn't raised that way. learned guns, gun function, and gun safety at an adult age. Gun safety, albeit a very important part of his occupation, didn't make as much of an impression on his cranial matter that it did to us when were young.

Just throwing that out there.

I could be wrong.

I could be wrong, but the guy who shot himself in the foot, may have easily been a guy who was raised by responsible parents and taught basic gun safety from a very young age. I think a lifelong understanding gives one advantages. But it's not a guarantee that one will be better than another.

The cop indeed may be someone whose first introduction to guns was as an adult. He likely gets the order of operations wrong, as you say, because he doesn't really understand function as much. But that's not necessarily because he learned as an adult. It may be that he doesn't practice with his firearm enough to get it "under his fingers" to borrow a musician's term for muscle memory.

What makes people safe with firearms is that they consistently follow the safety rules. Whatever makes people do that doesn't really matter.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    jamil, I concur sir, well stated. After all, the thread is about the AD or ND if you prefer.

When people become complacent with dangerous situations, bad things happen. Done there, been that. Case in point, for me, walked behind a drag car that was backing up from burnout. Almost got run over. Only injury was embarrassment for me, that was 30 years ago, I knew better, had several years working the starting line. Next incident on my behalf, was 10 years later, while I was working in my shop, cost me 5 days in hospital. I don't want to tell it and you don't want to here it, definitely more than embarrassment.

Point being; DO NOT become complacent with a gun.

That is my take, but I could be wrong.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Who's yer big city Hoosier here? At one time in the distant past, I would have considered that term an oxymoron, though I suppose it's possible nowadays. Unless one is guilty of sloppy, careless, or reckless gun handling, one need not feel made fun of.
    Other than past legal residence in Ohio and California, plus time spent working for Uncle Sam in Oklahoma, Georgia, Korea and Germany, I've spent most of my life within 12 - 20 miles of both sides of the river. Most (but not all) of the incidents I've witnessed have happened in this geographical area. So I'll make fun of certain ones where it's deserved, partly 'cause I 'are' one. :)

Here's a map...Now excuse me...I have to barr-ee some tools cuz I am changing the arl in my truck later...I got to ride out to the farm to make sure the far didn't damage the cell phone tar....I need to worsh my hands too...That arl made them greazy....
    <image deleted to save space>
    Thanks, Rick. I believe you've posted that link before. Used to be an informal hobby of mine. If I can ever get some free time, I'll drop by to share some jokes about it.

It happens when you are clearing your weapon in the improper order and/or have your booger hooker on the bang switch while you're attempting to do so.
    (Added a bit. Hope you don't mind.)

Well. I know for a fact that Mississippi is grateful to the state of Alabama because at least Mississippi isn't always dead last in education.
    It's not? :): :stickpoke:

What makes people safe with firearms is that they consistently follow the safety rules.
    /thread

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Maybe in more sophisticated circles. But among us regular folk, expect it to sound more like "yaw". :D

If it counts for anything, I grew up on the sound end of town, damn near Pinson.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    The first link is for a different incident (check the date). Shortly after the incident mentioned in the first link, I traded an AR to the individual in question...

I initially didn't know he was involved, but during the course of the trade it came up. Turns out the guy gave himself a grazing wound to the stomach while (attempting to) safely clear a pistol he was in the process of trading to another person in Bass Pro's parking lot. While he says he's unclear on exactly how it happened as he wasn't paying a lot of attention at the time, he takes full responsibility. He also turned his experience into a cautionary tale on his Facebook page. FWIW, he was medically retired as SFC from wounds received in Iraq. He seems to be a stand up kind of guy, and I wouldn't have a problem shooting with him... Murphy is out there and he's just waiting for anyone of us to relax.

As a side note, I'm happy with the 686-4 and 29-10 that I got from him, and he used the rifle I built for 3 gun and has had good results.

:ingo:

Top Bottom