Bass Pro Shop parking lot trade gone bad....(for Kirk)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Rick - that first link appears to be an unconnected event from a year ago... where some ding dongs had an ND in the parking lot.

But yeah - as we get more and more folks joining the carrying community - we're going to have to keep preaching the gospel of the 4 rules to folks.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I just love us gun guys, so eager to eat our own when something goes wrong. I think we need to think about all pulling In the same direction a little more. We don't know the exact circumstances, but I'm a little weary of the "that'll NEVER happen to me!" (because I'm such a great, conscientious, safety-minded gun expert) posts.

Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't, but if it does, chances are in the high 90th percentile that I did something wrong and/or dumb. Holding our own to a high standard seems like a better plan overall than accepting dangerous mistakes as normal.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I think I saw four people who shot themselves unintentionally in the last year. I have 25 partners and I'm sure some of them have seen patients as well.

I don't call them idiots. We go over the four rules. Their family is generally pissed at them, they feel awful. Sometime's it is the straw that break's dementia's back to the family. We hear about 0.01% of the accidental GSWs I bet. My point is These are people that had a bad thing happen. Kinda cold to kick a guy when he's down for no other reason than to show internet superiority. I am guilty of it in other contexts too.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I don't think anyone is saying they are immune to something bad happening, I'm certainly not, but I can 100% guarantee you, I will never see fit to stand in the entryway of a public place and attempt to unload my edc, I haven't seen the need to do so in 30+ years of daily carrying, and can't even think of a scenario that would require doing so. This guy is extremely lucky nobody else was injured, what a field day the gun grabbers with that.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Their family is generally pissed at them, they feel awful.

My father NDed a 9mm FMJ right through the his thigh, right after Thanksgiving dinner, in the living room, on mom's nearly white carpet.:n00b:

After I convinced mom that he wasn't going to bleed to death, yes, she was pissed.;)

Is my dad an idiot? Not generally. But that day, yes, he most surely was. He will get to limp the rest of his days on earth to remind himself of that.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    People do things sometimes without thinking about it. We're all only human and can make mistakes. I once saw a relative of mine clear his gun by racking the slide, ejecting the magazine, and pulling the trigger. Fortunately for the kitchen, the magazine disconnect would not let the weapon fire. He did not even realize there was a round in the chamber until I told him to rack the slide again!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    People do things sometimes without thinking about it. We're all only human and can make mistakes. I once saw a relative of mine clear his gun by racking the slide, ejecting the magazine, and pulling the trigger. Fortunately for the kitchen, the magazine disconnect would not let the weapon fire. He did not even realize there was a round in the chamber until I told him to rack the slide again!

I have no scientific support for this, but I believe that racking the slide before dropping the mag is the most common cause of "empty" guns...not being, y'know...empty.

As for calling someone an idiot, maybe it's harsh, but the smartest people sometimes do idiotic stuff. Obviously, myself included. In those moments, I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I have no scientific support for this, but I believe that racking the slide before dropping the mag is the most common cause of "empty" guns...not being, y'know...empty.

I saw a reputable trainer recommend this way at one time. I can't remember who it was (could have been JY). It made my brain hurt

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Rick, I am deeply disappointed that you would use a courier urinal link in your post......that's my main take away......

My favorite phone call to get?

"Hello sir, would you like to sign up for a subscription to the Courier Journal?"

"Hold on a minute...HONEY! Can you pour me a bourbon with three ice cubes and grab my ash tray? Yeah, it's the Courier Journal on the phone and I am going to be a while telling them what I think...Oh...And could you grab my blood pressure medicine as well? Thanks...."

:)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    "Everybody is stupid 15 minutes a day!" By the way, anyplace that requires the clearing of a firearm before entering the store should consider a clearing barrel.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am not going to mock this guy...Though it bothers me not that others do..I see what littletommy and bigboxofjunk are saying and see nothing wrong with their responses...I am around guns every day and I have made mistakes that wake me up at night in a cold sweat in my 40 years of fooling with guns...Reenacting 18th century frontier life with many people I have never met put me in some scary situations at various times in my life...I served on a cannon crew once...Once...Carrying a pound of black powder wrapped in aluminum foil around a smoldering cannon barrel can give one grey hair...

I keep a coffee cup here on the counter with ammunition taken out of "unloaded guns" that were being brought in to trade.....

To paraphrase Charlie Daniels, I try to be a faithful follower of the Brother Kirk Freeman school of gun safety...Kirk is a realist and understands that even with the best of intentions and good will that bad things can happen to good people...That is why he preaches the four rules of gun safety...I think Kirk feels, like I do, that even while following these rules that bad things can happen..

So Kirk preaches and does what common sense dictates...He plays the odds and he knows that by following these four rules the "odds" of something bad happening are greatly reduced.....

End of safety rant....

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    tumblr_nl516ufas91tw18zlo1_500.gif

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    My father (who, of all people, would know) taught me early on that "a car is just like a loaded gun", so I'm going to draw an analogy. Despite all the driver education, admonitions about drunk and distracted driving, etc., far more tragedy occurs due to driving "stupidity" than shooting "stupidity". Why don't we feel the need to go castigate or road-sharing peers the way we do our shooting peers when bad things happen on the road? Is it because "everybody drives" and accidents are just expected and accepted? We all know the damn Four Rules. Speaking for myself, I'm tired of the damn self-righteousness I see every time something goes wrong with a gun.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Probably belongs in a separate thread. Agree. Been tempted to post that almost word for word in several past threads more directly related to that particular topic. Seen it enough times and/or deduced from firsthand accounts of others. Additionally, in my experience it was invariably a show-n-tell type who, after having handed me or someone else his unsolicited firearm, gets all pissy when he sees one immediately go through the correct procedure to verify the (unloaded or not) condition of that weapon and says angrily, "I dun toltcha twudn't loaded!"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom