• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I also have a pair of Red Shouldered Hawks hanging in the neighborhood this winter. They make quite a bit of noise this time of yer which I found odd.

For the past 4-5 years, about the same time as the Barred Owls started nesting we've had a air of either Coopers or Sharpshins nest in back. I;ve watched the parent train the young ones by catching some sort of song bird and the little ones will chase the parent through the woods dodging and darting between the trees. The parent will drop the bird eventually and the little ones will swoop down and find it.

Very cool to watch them hunt but there is one big draw back. Those chick wake up early and are always hungry. And when they're hungry they squawk and squawk and squawk. I wouldn't normally mind but they star at sunrise and it doesn't end until sunset. They almost never shut up!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You're a good man for putting up with the chicks squawking like that.
    Cooper's or Sharp Shins both are awesome bird hunters, and if you don't mind them taking out the occasional songbird, they're much more prolific at destroying starlings, which makes them okay in my book.
    I despise those nasty black birds.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Decades ago, I was still living with my mother in Southern CA. At night there are some owl making noise all night long. Say I am a person wearing hearing aids in order to hear normal conversation. I was sleeping without them and I could still heard them. So you can imagine how loud they sound. It was driving me nut. Then one day I realized owl didn't like bright light shining on them. So I bought a 1 million candlelight bright big flash and shined on it. Next week or so, no more owl howling at nights. But I know owls are good for pest control.

Top Bottom