• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Correct! Private property is just that. They make their trespassing rules as they see fit.

ANY business, school or organization that receives public funding of any sort should not be able to supersede our IN LTCH.
    Gov't, military, Post Office, prison, court, whatever. If cops can carry firearms there legally, so should we.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'll support the repeal of just about every law. I'd also support the addition of exceptions to existing laws.

If you could categorize these public funded colleges as political subdivisions of the state, we'd hardly need any new law - existing preemption would preclude them from adopting or enforcing these rules.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Can you imagine the chaos of a campus without these things? I doubt there'd be much learning going on with the fundamentalist preachers screaming from the steps of every building.

I agree with the 1A zones, simply because some folks can be *very* annoying with their views, be it Brother Jed or some hippie wearing a Che t-shirt spouting Marx...
    I remember some of that at IU Bloomington, 40 years ago--back when the idea was that you would be exposed to different points of view and then sort it all out instead of hiding from opinions you didn't like--and there wasn't any chaos. Maybe some entertained hecklers.
    Now you have the perverse spectacle of "progressive"-useful-idiot-facists bringing their "1A zone"/"safe zones" with them to silence speakers that they don't want to hear.:rolleyes:

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I remember some of that at IU Bloomington, 40 years ago--back when the idea was that you would be exposed to different points of view and then sort it all out instead of hiding from opinions you didn't like--and there wasn't any chaos.

The 1A zones were in effect at Purdue when I started there in 1980. So, no chaos then, none now. That's where I saw Brother Jed (can't remember the name of the other guy; the math prof fired for refusing to stop preaching in the classroom...)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    What are you proposing? How much less illegal can we possibly make it to carry on college campuses?

I'd be in favor of more positive legal protection.

A good start would be removing the postsecondary education exemption from the parking lot law IC 34-28-7-2. I mean, one can store in one's car at a high school, but not a university - makes no sense.

Ultimately, we need preemption over state postsecondary ed institutions like a number of other states have (these universities run themselves like little cities/political subdivisions anyway, they have their own police, etc., so treat them that way).

These antigun policies at many such institutions are relatively recent inventions by the left on these campuses. For example, staff could carry at IU up to the mid 90s (1996 ish? iirc) when the policy was changed. NO adverse events prompted the policy change. Simply leftists flexing their influence.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Doing something like open carry because you have the right doesn't necessarily make it right. Carrying on a campus, ANY CAMPUS, is generally considered TABOO virtually everywhere in this Country due to recent history in the past decade. So, why do it? If you get slapped for doing it then man-up because you basically deserved it. Common sense needs to prevail if any of us expect to keep the 2nd Amendment in tact. We have a right to carry but at the same time we need to respect those that do not carry. If concealing your weapon in some areas is all that is needed to keep the peace then out of sight=out of mind seems to be more fruitful than throwing a tantrum in the eyes of the public. Flame On!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I probably shouldn't wear short skirts, either.

No, you're good.

Interracial marriages were also taboo. We shouldnt do that either?

While I agree to a point the fact of "just because you can doesnt mean you should", an OC demo on the public sidewalk of a higher ed institution doesnt necessarily fall into that category. YMMV.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Just because they make yoga pants in XXL doesn't mean it's a good idea to wear it.

fail-yoga-pant-fat-lady-pics.jpg

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Doing something like open carry because you have the right doesn't necessarily make it right. Carrying on a campus, ANY CAMPUS, is generally considered TABOO virtually everywhere in this Country due to recent history in the past decade.

When I make choices for me, all other opinions are merely suggestions.

So, why do it?

Why carry? Lots of reasons... but you probably meant why don't you cover it up, right? I can't think of any good reason to take that extra step of hiding it.

If you get slapped for doing it then man-up because you basically deserved it.

Wait, slapping is doing something to someone else. You're not attempting to equate this with carrying on one's own person, are you? Please explain further if you hope for this notion to make any sense.

Common sense needs to prevail if any of us expect to keep the 2nd Amendment in tact.

You must not understand what the 2nd amendment is or what it actually prohibits. What damage could we possibly do to the second amendment by open carrying on a public campus?

We have a right to carry but at the same time we need to respect those that do not carry.

Absolutely. I will respect their individual choice and make no attempt to force them to carry.

If concealing your weapon in some areas is all that is needed to keep the peace then out of sight=out of mind seems to be more fruitful than throwing a tantrum in the eyes of the public.

If the public considers a citizen bearing arms to be throwing a tantrum, the public needs to see more examples of Liberty, not less. Since I want it on people's minds, I'll definitely keep it in sight. I don't keep peace, I make it.

Flame On!

As requested. :)

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I will respect their individual choice and make no attempt to force them to carry.

I hope you can comprehend that some people feel threatened by OC, given what has happened around the country. Differentiating between a patriot exercising 2A and a psychopath waiting for the moment to open fire on a crowd isn't that easy.

By comparison, I doubt few people would care what you listen to, so long as you use headphones. Going around blasting the music through a megaphone? Not so much.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I hope you can comprehend that some people feel threatened by OC, given what has happened around the country.

Feeling threatened is an emotional choice distinct from being threatened. What has happened around the country has always happened all over the globe.

Differentiating between a patriot exercising 2A and a psychopath waiting for the moment to open fire on a crowd isn't that easy.

Precognition might make life easier, but I saw a movie like that once and Liberty took a serious hit.

By comparison, I doubt few people would care what you listen to, so long as you use headphones. Going around blasting the music through a megaphone? Not so much.

You think that's even remotely similar?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I hope you can comprehend that some people feel threatened by OC, given what has happened around the country.

Im sure those same folks FEEL threatened by tattooed bikers, and possibly even aggressive (yet lawful) youts. Should we ban bikers and youts too? Should we force them to wear polos and properly fitting khakis and speak in respectful, polite, measured tones to make the timid more comfy?

Some people need to get over themselves.

I can understand the trepidation of somebody feeling on edge seeing someone aggressively* carrying a long gun, but they should not feel threatened by someone exercising their 2A with a handgun in a proper holster as they go about their day, showing no signs of aggression or shifty behavior. If they are, they need to relax. The only OCers that should scare them are those carrying in floppy nylon holsters. :runaway: (They kinda give me the willies. )

*low ready, in hand instead of slung on their back in a passive carry position.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Well, the 2nd Amendment was nice while it lasted. The people that don't own a firearm are not doing as much damage to our 2nd Amendment Rights as the people with firearms. Flaunt it if you got it, you have the Right.... for now.

Top Bottom