• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I have the ABC's of reloading and it is a very helpful book. However, I would like to get my feet wet in the reloading world by spending as little cash as possible. That being said, I am a smart purchaser and would like to buy equipment that can be upgraded with time saving features, etc. later on.
    I will be loading pistol and rifle ammo.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: pistol and handgun ammo LOL

Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Here's the first press kit I ever bought, I was on a bare minimum budget too. I think it was called something different back then, but it looks identical.

I handed it down four or five years after buying it. Its been handed down three different times since then by folks who were interested in upgrading their equipment after getting started reloading with it.

I can't even begin to guess how much brass has been processed by this thing, and its still kicking - and rapidly approaching 20 years in service.

The only thing I'm aware of that has ever been replaced out of the kit has been the priming tool - as it just flat wore out(I'm told Lee offered to replace it for free, but the shipping was nearly as much as the replacement locally).

Spend your money on good quality dies, Lee's aren't it. Buy Hornady, Redding or RCBS.

$89.99

MidwayUSA - Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit

Gooch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Agree with BE Mike. Lee Classic Loader is the best way to go "cheap". Learn on it and then advance "up" to a little more sophisticated stuff if you choose to.

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    dillon 550 is great as long as you are not changing primer size you can change caliber in two minutes. Does most every popular pistol and rifle size. And great customer service. If something breaks call them and they will send it with no questions asked. Its not cheap but it will pay for itself in no time, if you shoot alot.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I know where there's a Lee Progressive for something like $120, RCBS (IIRC) .45acp dies, and powder.

If you're close to Wabash at all, I can probably get you set up pretty well for under $200, maybe $250. This will last you.

FWIW, I've been seeing single stage presses go for $120. I just got to digging at a local gunstore and found this one - they don't do much in the way of reloading.

If you want this stuff, let me know first and I'll make sure they still have it. I'll then stand guard over it while I talk you in via cell phone, or something like that.

I would make no money from it; just an INGO service.

Josh <><

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    I read all the info I could before I got into it. I heard most people saying single stage press to start but Oh how I love my progressive.

Well I knew I was in it for the long haul, I don't do things half way. If I'm going to want a progressive press why not get it and save the money of upgrading later? I don't think any single stage can be upgraded. Am I wrong? Anyone help me out here?

I went with the Dillon 550B. Like has been said, the warranty is par none. I am not disappointed at all. I took it slow, saw how it worked, I understand each stage, I check everything several times before I start cranking them out, and it can crank them out. It was a good choice for me. YMMV :twocents:

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    The Lee Clasic Loader kit is yes the cheapest, but the "die", term used very loosely, wasn't meant to full length size brass only neck size them. This is alright if your useing the brass back in the firearm it can out of, however it is not recomended for semi autos. Second the Lee Classic Loader powder measure is a scoop. That limits you to what powder and how much powder one can safely use.

If i wanted to go cheap I'd be looking at a Lee Hand Press Relloading Kit. It uses standard dies thus you can fully resize the brass and use the same dies when/if you move on to something bigger.

I still think the Lee Challenger Kit is the best buy for your money as a new reloader. Even if you upgrade to a progressive you still have a press to work up loads on or load rifle loads with out having to switch out a progressive for twenty or so rounds. And if you find you don't like reloading or that it's not for you your not out that much money. :twocents:

JJ1962IND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Anderson
    I have been using Lee for many years, dies and press!! No problems.. I did up-grade to a pact digital Scale I trust it more. I use a RCPS Powder Thrower its was way more consistant than the Lee. Just my 2 cents!! Good look and have fun!!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    like alot of folks i started and am still on a lee classic. i got the kit for around 120 and it had all you NEED except dies and components

eventually you will want calipers and alot of other stuff but this kit will give you enough to make a round go boom

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I am suprised at the number of Lee users here that are actively endorsing the Lee presses. Not that they are bad, because I don't know. This is honestly just the first time I have heard anything proactively positive said about them. (I personally have never used one and cannot comment on the quality.) Most have said they are "ok" or worse. Perhaps I have been mis-informed all this time??

I purchased a RCBS kit, and have witnessed RCBS rock chuckers in 30+ years of service with no problems. That is the main reason I went with RCBS, not endorsing them, it is just what the "old man" had and swore by so naturally I followed in line. They can be upgraded to progressive however it is my understanding they don't function nearly as well and it is worth the investment when ready to just pony up for the Dillon.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I know where there's a Lee Progressive for something like $120, RCBS (IIRC) .45acp dies, and powder.

If you're close to Wabash at all, I can probably get you set up pretty well for under $200, maybe $250. This will last you.

FWIW, I've been seeing single stage presses go for $120. I just got to digging at a local gunstore and found this one - they don't do much in the way of reloading.

If you want this stuff, let me know first and I'll make sure they still have it. I'll then stand guard over it while I talk you in via cell phone, or something like that.

I would make no money from it; just an INGO service.

Josh <><

Wabash is a bit of a haul for me, but thank you for the offer.

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    I have the ABC's of reloading and it is a very helpful book. However, I would like to get my feet wet in the reloading world by spending as little cash as possible. That being said, I am a smart purchaser and would like to buy equipment that can be upgraded with time saving features, etc. later on.
    I will be loading pistol and rifle ammo.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: pistol and handgun ammo LOL

My father has reloaded for the last 70 years. I've reloaded for the last 40 . I've used everything from a single stage C press to progressives. Shotgun, rifle, pistol, you name it, I've loaded it. Lots of work with lead. But, its all been my dad's equipment at his house. (Which is less than 1/2 of a mile from mine.)

But, the deal is this: I recently decided I wanted my own stuff. Over the years I had purchased stuff at yard sales that seemed like good values but never really used them. My oldest daughter just moved a few months ago, so, I decided to convert her room into a loading shop. And, I just decided to buy some used equipment to see how far along I could get and what price. 2 gun shows later and I'm loading. Here is what I bought to load 9mm.

Used Lyman Spartan C Press: $30
    Used RCBS Powder Measure: $15
    Used Redding Powder Scales: $10
    New RCBS Carbide 9mm 3 Die Set: $41

Thats it except for the consumables. If you add them in:

1 Pound of SR4756 $20
    100 Small Pistol Primers: $4
    100 Hornady 124gr HP Bullets: $18

So, the next time someone asks you, "How much will it cost me to get started loading?" Give yourself some wiggle room and say $200.

A good upgrade is a "Turret Press" so you can swap dies without screwing and unscrewing. Speeds things up. Personally, I don't really mind all that much. I run 50 through size/decap/recap, then run them through expansion, then do charge/seat/crimp. Swapping the dies doesn't take that long. But, it sure is nice when you're working up a load to swap dies with a "click". Even a n00b deserves a turret press but don't feel like you have to have one.

Oh, yeah, loading bench is an old kitchen table with a piece of 3/4 plywood bolted to it. 2x4s underneath where I lag screwed the press down. Works great!

Good luck! Its a lot of fun.

Top Bottom