• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    They're majestic when flying or snagging fish out of streams, but after seeing probably a hundred of them looking scraggly and hen-pecked eating rotting fish of the Homer Spit in Alaska, I began to wonder if Ben Franklin was right in proposing the turkey as the national bird....

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've watched them alot at monroe, cataract, and brookville lakes. I think they did a big rehab with them down at hardy lake a few years back. A good friend lives close to the lake and dnr came to his house a few times cause one of them had a nest in the woods he owned. Pretty cool to watch. Sucks to see when your fishing and not catching one and then the eagle comes a gets a nice size fish and takes off. LOL

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Eagles in Southern Jackson County

EaglesatNurseryB.jpg
    EaglesatNurseryA.jpg

100_0060.jpg

This pair of Bald Eagles have been nesting at the Vallonia State Nursery in Jackson County for about four years now. The first year they didn't raise their eaglet to maturity. The second year they raised a single eaglet. The third and forth year they have raised two eaglets. They are really cool to watch in the spring, when they are learning to fly. They hang around for a couple months and the eaglets will call to each other. Not the sound your used to hearingin the movies. That's actually the call of a red tailed hawk. These guys call sounds like a screech.
    It's an amazing site to see these birds up close. I hope I never get tired of watching them or so accustom to them being around that it looses it's thrill factor.

Barrn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Plainfield
    Over the past several years I have seen:

A Bald Eagle over the White River in near Martinsville.
    A Bald Eagle in a tree at Griffy Lake, Bloomington.
    A Bald Eagle dive and catch a bass at Scales Lake, Boonville.
    I have observed Bald Eagles at Harden,Cagles Mill (Cataract) and Starve Hollow lakes.

My most recent sighting of a Bald Eagle was last winter when one flew low over the I-465 bridge over the White River on the southside of Indy.
    I thought it was an Osprey until I saw the snow white head and tail.

The DNR's Bald Eagle reintroduction program seems to be working.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I watched one attempt to steal my cat on Lake Lemon when I was a child. They really aren't rare or even endangered any more (even though they remain on the list, animals NEVER get taken off the list once they are there it's a tree hugger thing). They where at risk for a short time back in the '70s from DDT use, something about thinning shells on their eggs....I see them frequently just about everywhere in the lower 48. There's a place up north where they congregate by the thousands.....quick search says Homer Spit, Alaska. Still, it's a pretty neat thing to see the first few times.

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I watched one attempt to steal my cat on Lake Lemon when I was a child. They really aren't rare or even endangered any more (even though they remain on the list, animals NEVER get taken off the list once they are there it's a tree hugger thing). They where at risk for a short time back in the '70s from DDT use, something about thinning shells on their eggs....I see them frequently just about everywhere in the lower 48. There's a place up north where they congregate by the thousands.....quick search says Homer Spit, Alaska. Still, it's a pretty neat thing to see the first few times.

Sorry not a "tree hugger" thing at all.

They were taken off the list in 2007 since the restrictions that were put in place in the 70's (by some tree huggers, no doubt) have been so successful. There was only <1000 birds in the US when those regulations were put in place.

nismoz33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Lawrenceburg HVL
    I need to get to Versailles State Park more & catch a glimpse of one of these birds. I've been out West to Yellow Stone & canoed the boundary waters but still haven't spotted one myself.

marine4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    South Indy
    Lake Monroe has a bunch. My in-laws boat every Wed. and Sun. all 3 seasons and they make maps of the nests and everything. Its pretty cool. Last year saw 2 small ones in the nest. father in law walked right under the tree and the mature parent came swooping in on him. He came back to the boat in a very brisk manner I tell ya. lmao

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Used to be a husband and wife bald eagle pair that lived between Lafayette and West Lafayette. They would fly around, fish and hunt pigeons.

One early morning I was driving to the dry cleaner in West Lafayette when an eagle hit a seagull maybe 10 yards in front of my SUV. I drove through scattered feathers.:D

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    One flew over us the day after Christmas at 116th & Allisonville on Indy's north side. Supposedly, there's a mating pair that lives along the White River near there. The kids at Riverside Juniorhigh can watch them out the lunchroom window as they've got one of their "landing pads" in view there.
    2-3 of my friends living in that area have seen them around the park adjacent to the Riverside School.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ive seen one flying along the twin bridges (tween evansville and henderson in southern in) they say that you can see the nest from green river road (in henderson, not the one with the mall in evansville), according to the gleaner newspaper, the eagle nest is close to two great blue herron nests, and till the leaves start growing in the spring you can see all the nests from the side of the road(i haven't looked yet but i plan on looking soon)

oh btw that was beautiful seeing that eagle soar

Steelworker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Allen County
    I saw one sitting in a tree about 200 yards off of sr37 right before the Ohio state line in NE Allen county this last summer. Pulled off the road and watched him through the binocs for 10 mins. It was very neat. First one I have ever seen so close to my house.

doubleshock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    hamilton county
    live in rural harrison county near buck creek. 2 aprils ago went to collecy my mail from box accross road and saw this huge bird in field there. got mail and retreated to house and binocs. approx. 250 yrds. out sat mr./ms.? baldy eating a freshly snagged fish. i sat on my front steps and observed for 45 mins. while it scarffed the fish. the coolest part was after about 30 mins. the activity attracted the attention of several black crows who all crowded as close as possible to the baldy and its meal trying to horn in on some food. that eagle took no crap from those crows! finally it took off circled 4-5 times and headed south which is towards the ohio river about 4 miles away. awesome.

Top Bottom