• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 500 mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indy
    Anyone know of a good bait caster I can get for around 60 bucks? I've never used one before, so I don't know anything about them.:dunno:

bass pro

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    west side guy
    Spend a little more and buy a Garcia Revo or Ora(99.00) . You wont regret it. Plus the better reels cast easier. For help learning to cast one pm me

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Ive been considering picking up one as well too. Look forward to hearing the suggestions.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    First BC I bought was a Mitchell $40 deal from Walmart. It was a good one to learn with and decide if I wanted to continue to use one. I've stepped my game up a little with a Quantum KVD series, Lews and Daiwa Aird (Daiwa is new, haven't used it yet). I'm no expert at casting them but I get by and can catch fish with them.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I have a couple of Quantums, a Black Max Garcia, and a couple Pinnacles, plus my very first bait caster, an Abu-Garicia from 1983, which I still use for jigging. all have been good reels. I like my Quantums for fishing plastics and the Pinnacles for crankbaits and Spinnerbaits. (Part of this is because of the rods they are mounted on though)

Things to look for are number of ball bearings, gear ratio, and pay special attention to the material the gears and other moving parts are constructed. You'll find the cheaper models will substitute polymer or cast aluminum for brass to save money. That can and will cost you a big fish when (not if) those parts fail.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    If you are right-handed, consider looking for a left-handed retrieve model, so you don't have to move the rod from one hand to the other every cast. Same principle as a spinning reel.
    Left-handed models are a lot less common, though.

jrclaxon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Marion
    I have four and yes you will get some backlashes, but if you will set the brake to match the lure weight and use at least a medium heavy action rod you will minimize them. Practice in your yard but be sure to use a practice weight you can see (not just a sinker) so you can apply thumb pressure as it lands. Use a smooth motion when you cast (as opposed to snapping the rod tip) and you soon "feel" how it's done. Good fishing.:hooked:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    My favorite all time reel when I was tournament fishing was the Shimano Currado. Use to have about ten of them.

Yep! +1 That is all I use and strongly recommend. I have several and they have lasted years! The problem is that that is WAY over his price point. They are still worth considering as the saying holds true..."Buy once, cry once" The suggestion of buying a left handed model is not a bad idea either. If I was just starting over I would strongly consider going this way. Once you get used to cranking right handed it is second nature but can be a little awkward.

Backlashes are sometime a part of using a baitcaster. Here is a good video demonstrating the easiest way to remove a backlash from your reel.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc[/ame]

Last edited:

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have several Johnny Morris reels from Bass Pro and they are great but a little more than you want to spend. I have mine set with the reel on the left hand side so I don't have to switch hands. Try the Abu Garcia. Remember to start out slow. I found that when casting if I tilt the reel in a little it reduces issues.

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I would suggest you buy a combo from wallyworld to start out with. you may not like them at all. that way you don't have too much invested in it. if you do like them, you can upgrade from there. this is how I started with one, years latter my youngest son learned on the same set-up. I would also suggest you get some cheap mono, in bulk. you will probably need it. good luck with it, and have fun.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've gradually improved my reels over time just like my guns. In general, the better the reel, the fewer problems. Most of the higher quality reels have better magnetic adjustments to control the spool during casting.

Also, it takes some technique to learn to cast. I prefer the snap-roll (think of rolling your wrist in a clockwise circle as you toss the bait side arm/underhand), or sometimes more of a tennis racquet cast.

If I do cast over hand it is with the axis of the reel perpendicular the water, vs. parallel to it. That also helps with backlash as the momentum of the cast isn't put directly into the spool.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I bought a abu Garcia silvermax combo from gander mountain, I think the combo was around $85-90 and so far I love it, It was very easy to get used to

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'm mainly a spinning reel person, but for casting I have an Abu-Garcia 4600C4 that I like very much, and that's from someone who doesn't use casting reels exclusively. It's got a 6.3:1 retrieve ratio and will really motor that lure in when you want to. It wasn't outrageously expensive, and still one of the best deals out there if you want something not made in the third world and where you know what materials and quality you're getting for the price point. This reel will throw a half-ounce lure like a rocket & can even go a bit lighter once you get used to it.

I think the folks who are predicting Birdnest city are exaggerating a bit, or maybe just haven't used modern BC reels much. They've come a long way. Magnetic damping works awesomely. Simply hold the rod out with the lure dangling a few inches down, free-spool the reel, and loosen the dial on the LH side until the bait just barely begins to drop without shaking it. That's a good starting setting for a given lure weight. As long as you keep the bait under positive control and feather it down to the water, there should be minimal problems with modern reels, and you'll probably get addicted to the level of control you have compared to other types, once you spend any time using it.:ar15:

Top Bottom