• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I bought a bass pro extreme and love it. I fish a lot of tournaments and I really prefer that reel over my shimano's. You can get a lot of money into a rod and reel but IMO the best bang for the buck is the Extreme.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    One of the things you need to decide on is whether you will want a reel with both a spool tension adjustment and a magnetic adjustment, or just a spool adjustment. I have several, some with magnetic and some without.

Generally I prefer my reels that only have the tension adjustment, but for a beginner the magnetic can really help out.

I just did a quick search and found this, and looks like this has some good info, and pictures

Baitcasting 101

I think the folks who are predicting Birdnest city are exaggerating a bit, or maybe just haven't used modern BC reels much. They've come a long way. Magnetic damping works awesomely. Simply hold the rod out with the lure dangling a few inches down, free-spool the reel, and loosen the dial on the LH side until the bait just barely begins to drop without shaking it. That's a good starting setting for a given lure weight. As long as you keep the bait under positive control and feather it down to the water, there should be minimal problems with modern reels, and you'll probably get addicted to the level of control you have compared to other types, once you spend any time using it.:ar15:

This is a great way to start off. Then once you have the hang of it, you can loosen the spool adjustments.

Top Bottom