• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This is a no-brainer. Pay them $160k/year like the dock workers get in LA with an $88k/yr pension

ILWU workers’ compensation package is believed to already be the most lucrative of any blue-collar in America. Full-time workers working 2,000 hours per year earn an average of $142,000 annually in wages and a benefits package that costs over $82,000 a worker. “Clerks” that work an average of 50 hours per week earn over $200,000. But “walking bosses,” the equivalent of warehouse foremen, can earn over $300,000.

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2015/02/06/longshoremans-union-to-strike-29-west-coast-ports/

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think with the economy the way it is, and BP is probably going to have to deal with the "Cadillac tax" for the ACA, now might not be a good time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think with the economy the way it is, and BP is probably going to have to deal with the "Cadillac tax" for the ACA, now might not be a good time.

Ah, the wonderful gift of ACA keeps on giving! My employer discontinued all of our health plans and replaced with roughly equivalent coverage, but with much higher deductibles in order to avoid the 40% "cadillac plan" tax. 40%. Because our insurance plan was "too good." 40%.

A tax penalty for providing insurance to employees that is "too good."

I can't wrap my head around it even though it's real.

I would expect BP to either change plans or cease offering health coverage and pay the penalty for it.

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    And if they only need people for a short time?
    my company hires lts. (long term supplement employee) loop hole so they dont have to pay what i make.i was one for 2 years

The owner has the final say on wages and benefits, the employee or potential employee decides whether they want to work there or not.
    Seems pretty simple to me, and that's the way it is for most of us.

This ISN'T pro or anti union, it's where does the theory come from that an employee can dictate what their employer is going to pay them?
    Under any other scenario, this is considered extortion and is a crime.
    even though im part of union i realize they get greedy

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ah, the wonderful gift of ACA keeps on giving! My employer discontinued all of our health plans and replaced with roughly equivalent coverage, but with much higher deductibles in order to avoid the 40% "cadillac plan" tax. 40%. Because our insurance plan was "too good." 40%.

I would expect BP to either change plans or cease offering health coverage and pay the penalty for it.

It is how Barry and the boys force you all into the collective.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

It makes perfect sense when you consider that the politics that created it is that of jealousy and the zero-sum game. If you are jealous and think that what someone else has can only occur by taking from someone else, then it is possible to view someone as having it "too good". If you aren't jealous, then you are more likely to say "Good for them. They earned it". Redistribution is the natural solution when you view the world that way. It is actually very simple to understand once you grasp this.

waross

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    So I heard from a reliable source that the demands the union are making have nothning to do with safety or such. They want a contract that says everyone hired has to be a union member (against state law) and that they want a 6% raise this year, 6% raise next year and 6% raise the third year.
    With the economy still in the crapper due to the incompetent guy living in goverment housing at 1600 Pennsylvania St, have any of you gotten this kind of raise over the lat three years? And the newspaper reported yesterday that the average income for a worker at the Whiting refinery is $82,000 per year.
    WOW. That exceeds most college graduates. I'm done.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I heard from a reliable source that the demands the union are making have nothning to do with safety or such. They want a contract that says everyone hired has to be a union member (against state law) and that they want a 6% raise this year, 6% raise next year and 6% raise the third year.
    With the economy still in the crapper due to the incompetent guy living in goverment housing at 1600 Pennsylvania St, have any of you gotten this kind of raise over the lat three years? And the newspaper reported yesterday that the average income for a worker at the Whiting refinery is $82,000 per year.
    WOW. That exceeds most college graduates. I'm done.

They will not get all of their demands.
    The company is hiring temps and contractors. This is causing issues beyond just the union. I have seen management try this in other facility's and it never ends well for them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Assuming the "reliable source" is correct, I'm not surprised the unions are still trying to bully employers into hiring only union workers, thus making it defacto union-only workplace. It's in the best interest of the union and the people who run it to do so, regardless of what it does to the employer, the stockholders, or even the union members (unintended consequences can be a bit**). No law is going to stop that unless the employers resist them. I certainly hope that they do.

$82,000 a year? And guaranteed 6% raises three years in a row? Nothing wrong with asking, but any shred of sympathy I might had previously is no longer with us.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    People trying to better their position financially.

I have no problem with this. I have been fortunate enough to do it many times throughout my career. I have always managed to do by working hard, learning new skills, and if need be, changing employers. I have not done it by convincing 6000 of my buddies to extort our employer. Guess I've been doing it wrong.:dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, they are asking for 6 percent.
    You also start negotiations by asking for more than you are willing to settle for, so that you can negotiate down and settle for less.

Top Bottom