• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • waross

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    I would agree if it not for the fact that American oil is traded on the international market. It doesn't stay here at home. We can boost production till the cows come home, but as long as it is being sold on the world market, it will be subject to the whims of speculators.

Ok, given what you just said. Is the world market going to buy from the US when OPEC is artificially under cutting the price. Because the US companies can't stay in business and sell oil for less the 60-70 dollars a barrel. And the amount we export is far less than OPEC. We need oil independence and stop being slaves to the mideast for most of our oil supply.

If OPEC continues to do as they are now by selling off oil at an atrificially low price, Russian economy will faulter and then the US companies will go under and our economy will take a deep plunge.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    For those of you who believe this has any effect on gas prices, wake up. The gas prices are low because OPEC has artificailly lower the price of a barrel of oil in order to do two things. One is to dismantle any pressure Russian is putting on their surrounding countries in order to hold them at bay. The second and possibly main goal is to try and put the Western World Oil Companies out of business. The western companies can only survive for so long when the price of oil from over seas is cheaper than what they can produce it for. The longer this goes on the bigger chance of US producers being forced out of business and therby keeping the dependence on OPEC for our oil. The US is on the verge of being oil independent. With the Keystone Pipeline and drilling in the US being increased we coudl achieve total independence from OPEC and then we would not have to be their protectors anymore. With the US becoming independent of the mideast for oil we would no longer have to fight their wars, give them endless funds for every sort of mission and we could concentrate on our own economy, security and welfare.
    The strike at Whiting has nothing to do with any of this.

I would agree if it not for the fact that American oil is traded on the international market. It doesn't stay here at home. We can boost production till the cows come home, but as long as it is being sold on the world market, it will be subject to the whims of speculators.

Ok, given what you just said. Is the world market going to buy from the US when OPEC is artificially under cutting the price. Because the US companies can't stay in business and sell oil for less the 60-70 dollars a barrel. And the amount we export is far less than OPEC. We need oil independence and stop being slaves to the mideast for most of our oil supply.

If OPEC continues to do as they are now by selling off oil at an atrificially low price, Russian economy will faulter and then the US companies will go under and our economy will take a deep plunge.

OPEC can drill all the oil they want.
    How's it going to get to your tank, if it's NOT REFINED?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The owner has the final say on wages and benefits, the employee or potential employee decides whether they want to work there or not.
    Seems pretty simple to me, and that's the way it is for most of us.

This ISN'T pro or anti union, it's where does the theory come from that an employee can dictate what their employer is going to pay them?
    Under any other scenario, this is considered extortion and is a crime.

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    From a friend that works at BP: BP's new contract language is asking for less "contract" employees in their plants. A 24 hour contract extension came today, so they must be close.

I don't blame them for striking over contract employees... That BS they need to just hire more people... Contract employees always make less money that's why they want them...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

All irrelevant when the gas stations set the prices. They will use any excuse to jack prices up.

If the refinery actually does shutdown, prices will really go up. Lots of demand and less supply will mean even higher prices.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I was running a business and I could get the job done less expensively by using contractors, I'd do it.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I filled up Saturday morning at a Speedway in Mishawaka that was still selling regular for $1.99 a gallon. Full tank for under $30! Two weeks ago I paid $1.89. Reminds me of the late 80's.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I filled up Saturday morning at a Speedway in Mishawaka that was still selling regular for $1.99 a gallon. Full tank for under $30! Two weeks ago I paid $1.89. Reminds me of the late 80's.

It should remind you of 2009. That's about what it was then, if I remember right. Back in the late 80's or so, you could buy gas for under $1/gal.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As to the contractor discussion.
    The mills just found out, contractors are not as cheap as they thought they were.
    After cutting down maintenance crews and trying to run places with contractors, they found....
    1) contractors ARE better at major jobs that are done and over. Such as rebricking a furnace. Replacing rolls. You can't have specialized crews sitting around waiting for another furnace to need rebricking. So you hire a contractor that goes from mill to mill. Schedule down time.
    2) contractors raised the cost of labor, after finding out the mills had cut back. The mill had to pay, there was no long term labor contract.
    3) union workers were often called back to fix a job that was done "good enough". The contractor gets paid if they have to come back again and again.
    4) contractors performing "standby maintenance", such as answering calls on broken machinery, will stretch themselves so much (to make more), that when called, are often at another location. The loss in production is MORE than whatever savings there were.

Top Bottom