• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    If this is in the wrong spot go ahead and move it.

I have had several bad experiences in Chicago but I would like to relate one and then see if this was a unique experience or if there are others out there who have been targeted because of Indiana plates.

I had to go to Midway to pick up my wife. She was supposed to come into South Bend but the flight was re routed and her car was at SB of course.

I went to Midway and parked my little Colorado in the parking garage. The sign said no SUV's or Vans. My little Colorado was no higher than any other car there.

Yep you guessed it. When I came out I had a ticket on my windshield and it said the violation was because it was a "truck". I tracked down the ticketing person/officer/meter maid, whatever. I said the sign said no SUV's or Vans. It said nothing about trucks especially little tiny trucks. She said "I know Sir but your license plate says you are from Indiana, I have a quota to meet and you are welcome to complain to the City of Chicago if you like"

Anybody else have bad experiences in Chicago because you are from Indiana. I was livid to say the least.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Honest!

I think one of the things I love most about our neighbors in the,"Windy City", is their complete candor!" Sorry Pal I've got a quota to meet"! :D

Last edited:

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Ya rolls the dice, ya takes ya chances...

I hate to say it but at the time it never occured to me that I was taking a chance. Little truck. Didn't say anything about a truck although yes I could see if it was a full sized truck. Just didn't occur to me. Still sucks. lol

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I was drinking in a bar after a Cubs game a couple years ago. I was talking to this girl and somehow the conversation got into politics. She said something that I very much disagreed with and I attmepted to defend my position. She cut me off and said in an angry voice something about how educated she was. College this, college that, you're wrong 'cause I went to college, bla, bla, bla.... So I said, "I'm a sorry I ain't got none o that fancy book learnins likes yous." She called me a hick and left.

It's a shame too 'cause she was hot and I thought I had a pretty good chance of hittin it like a screen door in a hurricane.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I was drinking in a bar after a Cubs game a couple years ago. I was talking to this girl and somehow the conversation got into politics. She said something that I very much disagreed with and I attmepted to defend my position. She cut me off and said in an angry voice something about how educated she was. College this, college that, you're wrong 'cause I went to college, bla, bla, bla.... So I said, "I'm a sorry I ain't got none o that fancy book learnins likes yous."

It's a shame too 'cause she was hot and I thought I had a pretty good chance of hittin it like a screen door in a hurricane.

But she was a filthy Chicagoan! You might as well have slept with your cousin......

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I didn't pay the ticket. I don't take that truck to Chicago anymore either. Luckily between my wife and I we have four vehicles so I have three more that can get ticketed before I have to worry! lolololololol

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I know this wasn't the best way to handle this but I was so mad I tore the ticket up and handed it to the pay attendent at the exit of the parking garage. I was so mad.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    These tickets are issued by the Chicago Department of Revenue. If you choose not to pay the ticket, they will turn it over for collection, and it may affect your credit. I believe you can dispute it. Is the truck plated as a truck or a car. If you have truck plates, you probably will not win the dispute. By the way, they look for out of state plates because they figure you will pay without dispute.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I know this wasn't the best way to handle this but I was so mad I tore the ticket up and handed it to the pay attendent at the exit of the parking garage. I was so mad.

There is probably a warrant out for your arrest now. I'd go ahead and hide my dog if I were you.

Oh, and say hello to Jake and Elwood for me.

:D

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I hate to say it but at the time it never occured to me that I was taking a chance.
    You were in Chicago. Therefore, you were taking chances. The only thing left to figure out was what kind of chances you were taking.

It's the same when I go to San Francisco for conferences. Yeah, I got stuff to do, but I know that my illusions of peaceful journey and reasonable discourse with the natives are just illusions. Getting hung up on some stupid local thing is just part of the trip.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    These tickets are issued by the Chicago Department of Revenue. If you choose not to pay the ticket, they will turn it over for collection, and it may affect your credit. I believe you can dispute it. Is the truck plated as a truck or a car. If you have truck plates, you probably will not win the dispute. By the way, they look for out of state plates because they figure you will pay without dispute.

They are truck plates. I did take a picture of the sign and my truck in relation to the other vehicles. I would love to hear the explanation on how my little truck is an SUV or a Van. Lol. Can't beat city hall I know. So darn frustrating.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    You were in Chicago. Therefore, you were taking chances. The only thing left to figure out was what kind of chances you were taking.

It's the same when I go to San Francisco for conferences. Yeah, I got stuff to do, but I know that my illusions of peaceful journey and reasonable discourse with the natives are just illusions. Getting hung up on some stupid local thing is just part of the trip.

Wasn't my choice to go. I had to pick up my wife. She was going to catch the SouthShore but I didn't want her to go through the hassle. The funny thing is she is usually the one who get's irate quickly about such things.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    An audio recording of your conversation with the ticket writer would be golden.

20/20 hindsight. I was just so mad at the time. Didn't think to do it. I believe my blackberry will record audio. Not sure. Have to ask my teenage daughter! lolol.

Top Bottom