• ...and so much more!
  • fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    Point taken Pami.

I think the difference between enforcing gun laws and distracted drivers is that really there are no laws covering distracted drivers.

We have been dealing with gun laws since the 30's (?), we have been dealing with drunk drivers since really only about the late 70's, but distracted drivers have just been a problem the last 5-7 years, or so.

With gun law and drunk driving, we have a well established base line to go from. With distracted drivers, we don't have that...yet. We do have a base line for impaired drivers, but that involves mental and physical impairments (hence the legal definition of intoxicated covers both of these).

With distracted drivers there is really nothing to go on to punish them.

Make sense?

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    Let me also say, that is my rational for thinking that some sort of law covering cell phones should be on the books. It would give us that base line to go from. Even if it is soley for those talking or texting and cause a crash. If you can drive and talk at the same time, then you're good. If not, then pay the fine.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Let me also say, that is my rational for thinking that some sort of law covering cell phones should be on the books. It would give us that base line to go from. Even if it is soley for those talking or texting and cause a crash. If you can drive and talk at the same time, then you're good. If not, then pay the fine.
    That right there is what I support. Not just pulling someone over because they're talking on the phone while driving.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Well, was just going to mention that I've not had a ticket in more than 20 years. Now that I've said that, I'm sure I'll get one this week.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    got stopped in Cali doing 118 in a 35, 2:00 A.M., 4 lane road winding through the hills outside of camp pendelton. LEO was sitting parked at the entrance to a gated community.no ticket:rockwoot:. I think the cop was shocked that I even stopped. I had to wait quite a while for him to get to where I had stopped, and then he blew past me. guess he was in a really good mood.

got pulled over on the same road a month later picked out of traffic and ticketed for 53 in a 35.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    First off, I am not a ticket writer. I subscribe to the theory that an ass chewing is better that a ticket for $200 plus. Others will disagree. I stop a lot of cars, however I generally care less about the traffic infraction. I am looking for criminal offenses, drunk driving, drugs, unlicensed guys carrying guns, stolen items, etc... The majority of my arrests come from these traffic stops.

Now for drunks. According to the NHTSA drunk drivers will commit this offemse several times before they are ever caught the first time. I don't have the numbers handy but I'm sure I can dig them up. I'd say 70-80% of the drunks I arrest have prior offenses. They obviously don't learn. Part of that is blamed on the criminal justice system. We all screw up from time to time, however there should be some teeth behind this law, otherwise it is sort of pointless, especially on repeat offenders.

Across the board, we deal with the lower 5% of society. We arrest the same armed robbers, burglars, drunks, drug dealers time and again. This is just what they are, this is waht they will be. You learn to deal with it.

If you are in that lower 5% of society - see you soon! :D
    Ass chewing :laugh: are my dad or something j/k anyways Ive had to many speeding tickets to count . Hey I drive fast and when I get caught I pay for it but in the end I will still speed as I see fit lol Do the crime pay the fine :dunno:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom