• ...and so much more!
  • bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Not sure if this is a repost but...
    A old man (he wasn't there...not that old) just told be that during the trade era hunters and trappers used bacon to keep their rifles functioning. I am sure this was after they ran out of the appropriate oil.

My Kimber smells like... BACON! :bacondance:

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Well considering they would have most likely been using muzzleloaders, there is some truth to this. If you ran out of lube for your patches, use whatever is on hand... spit, bacon grease, etc.

Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    bacon grease for seasoning a cast iron skillet, bacon grease for seasoning a muzzleloader.
    I Wouldn't TRY it, but I could see someone doing it.

Would have to be beyond desperate to use it on a modern firearm though... even a kimber :D

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Bacon grease I kinda doubt, cured bacon has salt in it. Plus long hunters/mountainmen soon ran out of things from civilation, cured meat, flour, and corn meal. On the other hand the game they hunted for food, supplied fat that could be rendered into tallow. Many times I've taken chunks of fat from a deer we're butchering, chunked it up fried it in a pan and strained the oil thru a cloth. After it cooled it was about like a soft wax, SnoSeal boot dressing is similar. I use it in my round ball guns as a patch lube, bore lube after cleaning, and general lube. Works well as a leather dressing and chap stick...........:@ya:................<>< Duce

Top Bottom