• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, after 15 years, I went back hunting this season. After 2 full days in the stand, I saw 1 very tiny doe. That's it. My hunting partner got a bigger 7 point so that was cool.

I will try to squeeze in another day maybe this week.

Even though I struck out, I had a blast and it was great being out there again.

If you're on the fence about going, get out there and do it!

BTW--I'm surprised there are any deer left in Brown County after all the shooting I heard. Mid-morning starts to sounding like Beirut! :D

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Same situation for me. Stopped hunting around 15 or so years ago. Sold all my guns and destroyed my bow by leaving it on the camper shell and then driving off - stupid I know. Started squirrel hunting again this year and have enjoyed it very much. I'll probably get back into deer hunting next year (bow, gun, both?).

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't hunt so much because I enjoy the thrill, I hunt mostly because I really like venison and it is a good excuse to sit in the woods reading a book or napping.

I have 150 acres I live and work on, so it's pretty easy for me to get out. If I had to go somewhere and spend a lot of money doing it I don't think I would quite as much.

I hunt squirrels because I hate squirrels :) (yes, I do eat them).

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm the same way, left Indiana for the Army back in the 80's and had been out of hunting since then until last year.

Got out and got my first doe in late ML and it's starting to grow on me again.

Took my sons our squirrel hunting this year and had a blast.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I don't hunt so much because I enjoy the thrill, I hunt mostly because I really like venison and it is a good excuse to sit in the woods reading a book or napping.

I have 150 acres I live and work on, so it's pretty easy for me to get out. If I had to go somewhere and spend a lot of money doing it I don't think I would quite as much.

I hunt squirrels because I hate squirrels :) (yes, I do eat them).

Where at near Bedford? I grew up down that way in Williams and family has a little 30 some acres near Silverville that I hunt on.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    where

Well, after 15 years, I went back hunting this season. After 2 full days in the stand, I saw 1 very tiny doe. That's it. My hunting partner got a bigger 7 point so that was cool.

I will try to squeeze in another day maybe this week.

Even though I struck out, I had a blast and it was great being out there again.

If you're on the fence about going, get out there and do it!

BTW--I'm surprised there are any deer left in Brown County after all the shooting I heard. Mid-morning starts to sounding like Beirut! :D
    where are you in B/C, hemingway? i'm up here east of beanblossom. definitely sounded like a war zone for a couple hours that first saturday.

RandyN2075

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    South of Greenwood
    I was in Brown County opening weekend Saturday and Sunday. I returned after 5 years without hunting. I paired up with my old partner, bought a new Marlin .44mag to celebrate the event and came home Saturday with a nice doe and Sunday at 7:30a.m. nailed my best buck ever...a nice 10 pointer....both with my new Marlin .44...I can't believe I had been gone for so long...I love the woods...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I was in Brown County opening weekend Saturday and Sunday. I returned after 5 years without hunting. I paired up with my old partner, bought a new Marlin .44mag to celebrate the event and came home Saturday with a nice doe and Sunday at 7:30a.m. nailed my best buck ever...a nice 10 pointer....both with my new Marlin .44...I can't believe I had been gone for so long...I love the woods...

public or private? That's a great return to the woods.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    where are you in B/C, hemingway? i'm up here east of beanblossom. definitely sounded like a war zone for a couple hours that first saturday.

I was on some friend's property. It was off 135, south of 46. Not sure what the town name was since I didn't really see anything. I was near Crouch's Market--know where that is?

I don't really know that area that well. I'm on the northside of Indy.

But, yeah, there were some serious shooting being done. And I heard coyotes howling almost constantly the 2 days I was there. Didn't get a chance to put one down though.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I end up hunting public lands (nothing wrong with it expect you can't pattern the deer) and didn't see a thing. Oh well I guess I'll hope for better luck during M/L season.

Top Bottom