• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    I've been gathering brass shell casing for some time. I had thought I would sell it off as scrap at some point, or sell the casings in general.

I have the interest but no equipment. Is there a good "beginners" guide to reloading you like. If I bit the bullet, pun, and started to reload I'm going to be doing .38/.357 and 9mm. I might do 12GA and 20GA for trap shooting purposes.

I'm thinking of starting by just getting the brass I have clean. Turns out there are a lot of devices that do this. Which are bad, which are good?

Am curious what my brothers and sisters know on the topic.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    So, I spent some time looking at pic of how people have their reload area set up. I noticed a lot of people have the [h=3]Dillon's CV-750 Vibratory Case Cleaner.[/h]
    I think we may have a winner.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN

michaeladkins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Indy
    I started off by finding a mentor and then I spent several days watching videos on youtube. Now the youtube thing may not be recommended, but I am a visual learner. Also, don't forget to ask questions. Get several reloading books and magazines that tell you reloading data.

Good luck!
    Mike

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If your near indy profire arms offers classes.

Im also going thru the same as you and am planning on getting a few books soon and then taking a course soon.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Go see Andrew at Profire and he, or one of his guys will fix you up.

When I got started, I walked in, told them what I had to invest and asked them to tailor the best package for what I had. They took great care of me. Sold me just what I needed and nothing extra.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Here is some good reading material as well:

The ABCs Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert: Rodney James: 9781440213960: Amazon.com: Books

It talks about way more than reloading (evolution of the modern cartridge, bullet casting), but you can sift through everything and read about reloading only. Then go back and read whatever you want. It really goes pretty in depth with everything from powder to types of presses.

I was lucky enough to get it for free on Kindle Download about a year ago, but even at $20 it's well worth it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Get Richard Lee's book.

Reloading 38/357/9mm is exactly the same process and can all be done on the same press. It doesn't matter if you choose a single stage, turret, or progressive. I suggest a progressive like the Lee Pro 1000.

Shotgun reloading requires a totally different process and press.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Lee or Lyman books both will get you through. There are a few things in the LEE book about equipment to be taken with a grain of salt. There are few few places where the equipment LEE produces is bragged about and the equipment from other brands is called dangerous. Ignore that stuff, and the rest will get you there.

Loading is a process, just make sure you understand each step and do not continue until that step is mastered. Check each step and check it again. Slow and steady beats fast when you are making safe, reliable ammo. You might damage a few pieces of brass along the way, throw them away and consider it the cost of education.

There are a lot of skilled reloaders on this website. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and then weigh the answers with the book. You will be able to catch on pretty quick.

Good Luck

Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    I agree with LEO. Start slow. Double check. Keep good records. When i reload i have a postit note in my brass bucket with what i have done to it at all times so if i have to walk away for a few days, weeks i know never guess. When loading large batches i allways stop at 100 and check my powder drop OAL ect... Never load more between quality checks than your willing to unload. Look at it this way, i like to load in batches of 5000. If i just get it and go droping one after another in a large bucket and find out after 2000 rounds i ran out of powder somewhere along the way then wich ones dont have powder? And most importantly Have fun its not a job. When it gets like work walk away.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I'm also new, and started reloading just last week. Thus far it's gone very well. I purchased my equipment seperatly, and glad i did. The kits are a great idea, but can be somewhat restricted. Being a newb to reloading, I'd say a digital scale (don't forget calipers) would be best as there is less guess work. The powder measure included in the kit, and this is just a thought on what I've read, is not very accurate. Take your time do a little research. I started in January collecting stuff, and now I'm down to securing bullets and a few small items. I'll be set for a winter run/production date. I have a Redding single stage press, Lee & RCBS dies, Frankford tumbler. I'm planning to purchase a Lee or RCBS hand primer and the Hornady Lock & Load Powder Measure, oh and a better caliper one with the adjustment knob. Trying to land on .000 is not that easy by hand.

GeoffM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    total +1 to all that! The handbooks really are good for a good grasp on everything. I would advise ordering bullets and powder according to a specific recipe you find in those books so you have a good starting reference and don't have to start guessing right off the bat (like I did, dough!). I bought both the Lyman and Lee reloader's handbooks and they both have great info (albeit the Lee is a bit biased to it's own equipment, as stated above).

GeoffM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I purchased everything separately too, FYI. I heard it's not the best to go with a kit if you plan on doing it forever. I like to custom-pick my tools too, though...

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I like Lyman's 49th and Hornady's reloading guide. Not a fan of the Lee guide so far.

Turns out Hornady's includes AR-Comp powder, which is new and not in the others.

Top Bottom