• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    So for the last few weeks have been taking a class in active shooter I work in a school so it helps a lot, and I just finished class yesterday, all I can say is amazing the instructor Jeff is the owner of "Self preservation training" in my opinion you can't get any better then him, not gonna mention his career but he knows his stuff and won't bull**** with you, he had a lot of experience, so if you need some training and live around the noblesville area give Jeff a call he will work with your schedule. Jeff 317)379-4730

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm not trying to be obtuse, I legitimately want to know how active shooter takes several weeks, unless of course it is mostly team and entry tactics.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @vupdblue as a student it's great to learn these tactics, as a civilian I may never need them but who knows, atleast I'm prepared on the situation, Jeff is a great teacher,

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Can you tell us a bit more about what was covered in the class? Was it all building search techniques with a team? Or was there more to it? How many days and hours per day was the class?

From the facebook page it says this:
    "We did some joint active shooter response training today with law enforcement officers & civilians training together. As an officer you may be off duty, or no back up near by, so being able to work with a trained private citizen may be your only option. As a civilian who carries a firearm, having at least a basic understanding of tactics may enable you to team up with an Leo or military person to stop an active shooter or terrorist attack"

[None of the below is a criticism of the class, the topic, or anything else. I'm just throwing out my initial thoughts.]

This sounds cool, but I think it has limited applicability for the average non-leo dude. I'm not a cop, but I tend to doubt too many cops would come in and pick up a random armed citizen then proceed to search a building with them. It's more likely they'd disarm and restrain them just in case they were a bad guy and not a good guy. If not that, I expect the cop will tell the citizen to get out of the way and let them do their job. I'd likely do that in their position.

Now, I'm not against learning team movement and building search techniques. My limited experience tells me that it can be difficult to put two people together, even if they both have separate training, and get them to work together well right off the bat. It takes some experience with the same training to get on the same page and know what the other person expects/is going to do. Not everyone is taught to move and work the same way. It's even fairly difficult to get them to communicate effectively. So I think this type of thing works better for couples, friends who are together often, or two employees of the same school who might be working together (assuming they can be armed).

I'd be curious to hear the INGO LEO's opinions on teaming up with a random LTCH holder to perform a building search. I think a couple have already posted on this thread. I don't think most would refuse aid if they were mid shoot-out, but teaming up to go search a building seems like a different thing to me.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    @vupdblue as a student it's great to learn these tactics, as a civilian I may never need them but who knows, atleast I'm prepared on the situation, Jeff is a great teacher,
    Are you intentionally being so vague for a reason? Were you instructed not to post an AAR? People are asking WHY it was such "awesome" training, and I for one would like to know what makes it awesome? Was this your first class, was it an advanced class, etc., etc...

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I'd be curious to hear the INGO LEO's opinions on teaming up with a random LTCH holder to perform a building search. I think a couple have already posted on this thread. I don't think most would refuse aid if they were mid shoot-out, but teaming up to go search a building seems like a different thing to me.

Who can show me a Ranger Tab?

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @vigalant it was awesome cause I got to do training with other police officers, and just the fact of doing this kind of training "active shooter" it's exciting not the situation but how the police train, I get to lean all the tactical stuff how to clear a room how to clear a stairway. How to move w a 3 man team or just a first responder, granted I'm not a cop but like Jeff says I won't be a sheep and run scared I can help if ever needed

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I will opine that if you find yourself being shot at, it is appropriate to return fire. Once the sirens start showing up, if you are not actively engaging a bad guy, please un-ass the area so you are not mistaken for a bad guy yourself.

I cannot envision picking up a non-copper to take with me to do copper stuff.

Top Bottom