• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I will opine that if you find yourself being shot at, it is appropriate to return fire. Once the sirens start showing up, if you are not actively engaging a bad guy, please un-ass the area so you are not mistaken for a bad guy yourself.

This appears to support my earlier conclusions about the possibility of helping the police. I didn't mention the part about possibly being shot on site if you're waving the gun around in the stairwell. (Do I understand correctly that much of the current police training for active shooter situations includes coming in as quickly as possible, moving fast to the shooter, and dispatching the them without delay? No more waiting for a second or third officer to show up, moving through in quads/squads/teams or whatever they called them, etc? They come in as they arrive and move to or search for the shooter as quickly as possible?)

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Since I was mentioned in this thread I will try to respond where I feel it's appropriate. First, burt gummer, thanks for the kind words. I am glad you have enjoyed the training so far. I look forward to more training with you.

As far as the class taking weeks. That's due to his schedule. We usually train for about an hour to an hour & a half weekly during private classes. This past weekend was joint training with students so we could work team movement. If schedules permitted, the class would run about 7 or 8 hours depending on the size of the class. It's what I would consider a basic class to give the student some working knowledge to apply if they are ever in an active shooter/killer situation. The class covers things such as history of active shooter response tactics and how they have evolved. We cover weapons handling, movement, room entry, movement in stairwells, legal aspects of engaging an active shooter, interaction with responding officers, objectives, concealment and cover options, improvised weapons, basic empty hand skills and more, but you get the idea.

As far as an armed citizen partnering with an officer. I agree that's not the ideal situation and not most likely to be how it goes down. However, as a police officer, if I am off duty and an active shooter or terrorist attack happens where I am and a private citizen is armed and able to provide armed assistance that allows us to stop the killer...great! That's partly why I do this training. I am a police officer, but i was an armed private citizen before I became one, and I will be an armed private citizen after I leave law enforcement. To me, the more well trained citizens we have, the better off we ALL are.

For my qualifications, I posted most of them in the "Defensive Use of an Edged Weapon" thread I started. There are a few spots still left by the way :D! But I can tell you a bit about myself here. I am an 11 year police veteran police officer. I am an ILEA certified instructor in handgun, patrol rifle, defensive tactics/ground fighting, edged weapons & active shooter response. I have over 30 years of experience training in multiple martial art disciplines, including Tae Kwon Do, western boxing, kick boxing, Mauy Thai, Kali, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and some other stuff I find that works. I am a guest instructor at the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy and have been teaching law enforcement officers since 2006. I have taught privately for close to two decades.

As of January this year, I officially launched Self-Preservation Training, LLC. It is a multi-disciplinary training company focusing primarily on training private citizens, but we do offer LEO only classes once in awhile.

I hope this answered the questions that applied to me.

Jeff

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Since I was mentioned in this thread I will try to respond where I feel it's appropriate. First, burt gummer, thanks for the kind words. I am glad you have enjoyed the training so far. I look forward to more training with you.

As far as the class taking weeks. That's due to his schedule. We usually train for about an hour to an hour & a half weekly during private classes. This past weekend was joint training with students so we could work team movement. If schedules permitted, the class would run about 7 or 8 hours depending on the size of the class. It's what I would consider a basic class to give the student some working knowledge to apply if they are ever in an active shooter/killer situation. The class covers things such as history of active shooter response tactics and how they have evolved. We cover weapons handling, movement, room entry, movement in stairwells, legal aspects of engaging an active shooter, interaction with responding officers, objectives, concealment and cover options, improvised weapons, basic empty hand skills and more, but you get the idea.

As far as an armed citizen partnering with an officer. I agree that's not the ideal situation and not most likely to be how it goes down. However, as a police officer, if I am off duty and an active shooter or terrorist attack happens where I am and a private citizen is armed and able to provide armed assistance that allows us to stop the killer...great! That's partly why I do this training. I am a police officer, but i was an armed private citizen before I became one, and I will be an armed private citizen after I leave law enforcement. To me, the more well trained citizens we have, the better off we ALL are.

For my qualifications, I posted most of them in the "Defensive Use of an Edged Weapon" thread I started. There are a few spots still left by the way :D! But I can tell you a bit about myself here. I am an 11 year police veteran police officer. I am an ILEA certified instructor in handgun, patrol rifle, defensive tactics/ground fighting, edged weapons & active shooter response. I have over 30 years of experience training in multiple martial art disciplines, including Tae Kwon Do, western boxing, kick boxing, Mauy Thai, Kali, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and some other stuff I find that works. I am a guest instructor at the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy and have been teaching law enforcement officers since 2006. I have taught privately for close to two decades.

As of January this year, I officially launched Self-Preservation Training, LLC. It is a multi-disciplinary training company focusing primarily on training private citizens, but we do offer LEO only classes once in awhile.

Jeff

Hey Jeff. I now remember your other thread about the knife class. I thought this sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. Thanks for posting and telling us more about the class. Do you have a website?

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Jeff
    Missed your first thread, but am glad you posted. Too many bunk "trainers" out there, and sorry, but Burt Gummer's somewhat cryptic post to me sounded like there was some kinda super secret Ninja stuff that he was happy about, but if he told us, you'd kill him. Was looking at the post to see an AAR from a trainer I hadn't been to yet, so thanks for the re-intro!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This appears to support my earlier conclusions about the possibility of helping the police. I didn't mention the part about possibly being shot on site if you're waving the gun around in the stairwell. (Do I understand correctly that much of the current police training for active shooter situations includes coming in as quickly as possible, moving fast to the shooter, and dispatching the them without delay? No more waiting for a second or third officer to show up, moving through in quads/squads/teams or whatever they called them, etc? They come in as they arrive and move to or search for the shooter as quickly as possible?)

This is correct. I did the 2 day ALERRT class in December and it stressed the importance of "move to the threat" based on actionable intelligence. If we hear gunshots, get witness information, etc. then we move directly to stop the shooter. We practiced 2-5 man teams clearing halls, stairs, and rooms in order to search for a threat, but the overriding message was as soon as the threat location is determined then move there quickly.

Top Bottom