• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Ok, so I have a serious question here so please don't flame me.

I recently bought 2 9mm handguns and in my efforts to get ammo I have gone countless times to stand in line in hopes of getting ammo. I only buy 9mm because that is what I shoot. I have been buying all Walmart will let me whenever I can which is about 25% of my trips. This had mostly been 50 packs which after tax cost me $15.

Recently I have been able to get quite a few of the 100 round value packs so I sort of want to offload some of the more expensive 50 Rd boxes and keep buying the 100s when I can.

I don't want to gouge people, but I do have a lot of time and effort involved in getting what I have. I am planning to sell them at $20 a box.

What in YOUR opinion turns it into gouging? Pure cost or percentage over what someone pays? Keep in mind that most local gun stores are selling 50 packs of 9mm FMJ for $18 before tax. I know because I bought some of those too when they were all I could find.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I recently bought 2 9mm handguns and in my efforts to get ammo I have gone countless times to stand in line in hopes of getting ammo. I only buy 9mm because that is what I shoot. I have been buying all Walmart will let me whenever I can which is about 25% of my trips. This had mostly been 50 packs which after tax cost me $15.

Recently I have been able to get quite a few of the 100 round value packs so I sort of want to offload some of the more expensive 50 Rd boxes and keep buying the 100s when I can.

I don't want to gouge people, but I do have a lot of time and effort involved in getting what I have. I am planning to sell them at $20 a box.

What in YOUR opinion turns it into gouging? Pure cost or percentage over what someone pays? Keep in mind that most local gun stores are selling 50 packs of 9mm FMJ for $18 before tax. I know because I bought some of those too when they were all I could find.

This is an interesting question. INGO used to be a place where people helped each other. I'm not saying that anyone needs to GIVE anything away, but when people sold hard-to-find guns, it was reasonable to get maybe $50 profit. When it was a regular old gun, a $100 loss was reasonable. I'm not saying this was written in stone, but it was a normal practice. That is why you can find threads where members have given away packs of .22 for children and even offered to give away brass and other items to help someone out.

With all of the new members, much of that has gone out the window and now Shields are being sold for $600 that were purchased for $409 and the mantra is "If people don't want it at that price, they don't have to buy it." Much is the same with ammo. There is nothing wrong with making a profit for your time and expense to purchase ammo, but I believe everyone has an internal "check" that tells them when they have crossed a line: selling a $15 box of 9mm for $35, just because that is what people are paying on Gun Broker.

This is the main reason I really try to watch who I deal with.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County

It's your ammo, so you should sell it for whatever you want. I would only feel bad if you purchased it with the intent to resell. If someone is willing to pay an arm and a leg for your ammo, let them do it. I'm selling some ammo that I've had sitting around my house for a few years in the classifieds now. The only reason that I'm selling it is because people are willing to pay crazy prices. Let the market set the price. If it is too high it wont sell.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville

Let's see... You're buying more ammo than you need to then sell at a profit?? Yep! You're part of the problem!

But go ahead and rationalize it any way that helps you sleep at night.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Let's see... You're buying more ammo than you need to then sell at a profit?? Yep! You're part of the problem!

Maybe I misunderstood his post, but that isn't how I took it...

I understood him saying he bought the only option that was available at the time and now that he is finding a preferred alternative, he now wants to sell his initial purchases.

The fact he wants to make a $5.00 profit for his time involved, isn't too unreasonable. I'm not convinced that there is a real $5.00 differential anyhow... That $5.00 is based on value now... Once this craziness settles, I wouldn't be shocked to see close to that as the new "low" anyhow.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Maybe I misunderstood his post, but that isn't how I took it...

I understood him saying he bought the only option that was available at the time and now that he is finding a preferred alternative, he now wants to sell his initial purchases.

The fact he wants to make a $5.00 profit for his time involved, isn't too unreasonable. I'm not convinced that there is a real $5.00 differential anyhow... That $5.00 is based on value now... Once this craziness settles, I wouldn't be shocked to see close to that as the new "low" anyhow.

I stand by my post. Anyone who buys ammo they don't need (thus denying someone who DOES need it the opportunity) and then resells it for a profit is part of the problem. If he had enough ammo for his own use, why would he continue to stand in line for it? Like I said, rationalizing this process in his head doesn't make it not gouging. He asked for opinions. That's mine.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh

I knew there would be one or two of "those guys" out there who will bash no matter what and that's OK. However you did not answer my question. Is it the $20 price you take offense to which is $5 over what I actually paid and 75 cents over what the guns stores are selling it for with tax, or the fact that I would even consider a profit at all?

And just to be clear, none of us "NEED" ammunition, we want it. Like most everyone I know I bought what I could get when I could get it. The fact that I got a better deal later and now have some I am willing to let go of does not change the fact of why I bought it in the first place.

I appreciate your concern, but I will sleep just fine.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I stand by my post. Anyone who buys ammo they don't need (thus denying someone who DOES need it the opportunity) and then resells it for a profit is part of the problem. If he had enough ammo for his own use, why would he continue to stand in line for it? Like I said, rationalizing this process in his head doesn't make it not gouging. He asked for opinions. That's mine.

I don't really need to explain this to you, but it may actually help some others here so I will.

I stopped standing in line about a month ago when I accumulated about 2000 rounds. This was a point where I felt I had enough to hold me over and I would wait and see what happens as I think ammo is starting to loosen up a bit.

In the time that it took me to get what I have I ended up being friends with some of the Wally world employees. Recently WM has changed the way they bring out ammo. As I understand it, it is a corporate wide thing.

Where you used to have to go stand in line and guess when they would offload the truck (around 6:30 PM here) and pray that they have what you want, now they lock all the ammo up and bring it all out at 7AM.

If you are not an abrasive ass one of the employees who you befriended may give you a heads up while you are in buying your bananas or toilet paper as to what will be coming out the next morning when they happen to see you. You may even luck into some 100 packs that have eluded you for so long.

So think whatever you want and keep bashing people assuming you know the facts when you don't. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Like you said, I asked for it.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I can see someone getting a few boxes for themselves or hooking up a friend every now and then, but this is just rotten! :xmad:

This is 100% the reason there is a perceived ammo shortage. I'm here to tell everyone that there is no real shortage.

I've stood in line at Walmart every morning during shelf stocking for a month and 4 or 5 days a week they receive shipments of ammo.

Bricks of .22lr, 9mm, .45, .223, 7.62... you name it... they get it and lots of it. The problem is exactly like described. People wait in line... buy their limit, then sell it for double and because buyers have no patience, the cycle has been allowed to go on for months.

STOP PAYING STUPID PRICES and the prices will drop. But they won't drop if you keep buying inflated prices.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

If you are looking to turn a profit...then gouge the hell out of anyone willing to pay. Put it on Armslist for $25 a box....

If you don't want to gouge... stop buying 50rd boxes ;)

I have the ammo I need and have no reason to go anymore.... I've learned that ammo is plenty and as soon as people like me and you stop buying more than we need, then the ammo shortage will go away.

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany

This is a perfect example. You have something to sell, lots of people want it. Why on earth would you sell it for less than what people are currently paying for it? No sir it is not gouging even if you get 50x what you paid for it. To sell it for less than what folks are paying for it does not mean you are an honorable good ole boy, it means you are a few cans short of a six pack :)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is 100% the reason there is a perceived ammo shortage. I'm here to tell everyone that there is no real shortage.

I've stood in line at Walmart every morning during shelf stocking for a month and 4 or 5 days a week they receive shipments of ammo.

Bricks of .22lr, 9mm, .45, .223, 7.62... you name it... they get it and lots of it. The problem is exactly like described. People wait in line... buy their limit, then sell it for double and because buyers have no patience, the cycle has been allowed to go on for months.

STOP PAYING STUPID PRICES and the prices will drop. But they won't drop if you keep buying inflated prices.

I've not purchased ammo off the shelves in over two years, so I'm not the one paying stupid prices.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is a perfect example. You have something to sell, lots of people want it. Why on earth would you sell it for less than what people are currently paying for it? No sir it is not gouging even if you get 50x what you paid for it. To sell it for less than what folks are paying for it does not mean you are an honorable good ole boy, it means you are a few cans short of a six pack :)

Yep, I really miss the old INGO. :ingo: So, one IS honorable if they sell for as much as they can possibly get?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I've not purchased ammo off the shelves in over two years, so I'm not the one paying stupid prices.

I didn't necessarily mean you... it was more of general advice for anyone unfortunate enough to read my babble.

But yeah... that's awesome. I wish I reloaded!

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Also you should stop at every car dealership that is selling a car for more than KBB value and tell them to get bent. It's not enough to just not buy, you have to make sure and let them know just how big of a man you are.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's your ammo, so you should sell it for whatever you want. I would only feel bad if you purchased it with the intent to resell. If someone is willing to pay an arm and a leg for your ammo, let them do it. I'm selling some ammo that I've had sitting around my house for a few years in the classifieds now. The only reason that I'm selling it is because people are willing to pay crazy prices. Let the market set the price. If it is too high it wont sell.

Your asking prices are not crazy, IMO. It's only a bit more than I saw in Walmart the other day.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    If you are looking to turn a profit...then gouge the hell out of anyone willing to pay. Put it on Armslist for $25 a box....

If you don't want to gouge... stop buying 50rd boxes ;)

I have the ammo I need and have no reason to go anymore.... I've learned that ammo is plenty and as soon as people like me and you stop buying more than we need, then the ammo shortage will go away.

I think you are being sincere and probably posted without seeing the last post of mine, but I stopped buying 50 packs a while back. The issue is now that I have started getting some 100 packs, I am thinking of selling some of what I bought a month ago.

I am comfortable with myself and what I will ask. I just like to hear other opinions. What has been interesting to me is how it seems to be all or nothing for many. I don't believe in buying with the intent of flipping, but I am perfectly fine with making a small profit since I found some better deals.

Top Bottom