• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    It’s all a matter of the fine print which the retailer never says anything about at the time of purchase and only uses it to squirm out of the consumer’s demand for a replacement under the supposed lifetime warranty in the situations outlined above.
    It’s always a marketing scam! :bash:

shadowguy219

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2022
    US

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Yeah I'm pissed about the Craftsman tool exchange. There's a website where you're supposed to enter the part# off the tool in order to still exchange it. Well the 3 broken ratchets don't register on the website so I'm SOL. Granted said ratchets are north of 20 years old but damnit I still want my free replacement!

I exchanged a couple of 30+ year old Craftsman ratchets at Lowes a couple of years ago. Took them up to the counter, they told me to get the ones most like the ones I had.

No issues at all

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Where you get yours?
    I'm an OEM guy, especially when it comes to electrical and cv axles. I will buy aftermarket pads and rotors, fluids, etc. But that's about it. Talking about my personal vehicles with that statement. Customers at the shop get choice of oem and aftermarket. I will give a longer labor warranty on OEM parts however. Up to customer how they wanna spend their money, not me.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    Just because you get your vehicle fixed at the Dealership doesn’t mean you’re getting OEM.

I know they manger at local parts store and he says his biggest consumer is the Dealership!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    '02 Impala LS 3.6l w/300k on the odometer.
    Wouldn't an 02 have the 3400 or 3800? The 3800 is notorious for eating ignition modules.

Warranties depend on the person at the counter as much as store policy. They (stores) all waffle back and forth on it. I worked at an oreillys a while in school and their policy expressly didn't cover pads wearing out but the local policy was always warranty it because having crackheads do all their buddy's cars with the same parts as they wore out from normal use and warranteeing it every 3-6 months was better store policy than making anyone buy things.

Most cases are lifetime warranty of the original part, replacement part has 12, 6, even 3 month warranty on it. Usually if you escalate to a manager or threaten to call corporate they'll relent.

When I worked at the shop, I had someone want to warranty a set of brake pads because they wore down to the backing plates evenly because we put them on and had a lifetime warranty. Yea, manufacturer defect warranty. They're not warrantied against wearing out in 80k miles. Congrats on getting good life out of them, here's cost for new ones.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah I'm pissed about the Craftsman tool exchange. There's a website where you're supposed to enter the part# off the tool in order to still exchange it. Well the 3 broken ratchets don't register on the website so I'm SOL. Granted said ratchets are north of 20 years old but damnit I still want my free replacement!
    Just remember in a lifetime warranty, its for the life of the company, not the part. Or the owner. Now that Craftsman exists in name only, those true Craftsman made wrenches no longer have a warranty because the company that made them is gone.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Look behind you
    Wouldn't an 02 have the 3400 or 3800? The 3800 is notorious for eating ignition modules.

Warranties depend on the person at the counter as much as store policy. They (stores) all waffle back and forth on it. I worked at an oreillys a while in school and their policy expressly didn't cover pads wearing out but the local policy was always warranty it because having crackheads do all their buddy's cars with the same parts as they wore out from normal use and warranteeing it every 3-6 months was better store policy than making anyone buy things.

Most cases are lifetime warranty of the original part, replacement part has 12, 6, even 3 month warranty on it. Usually if you escalate to a manager or threaten to call corporate they'll relent.

When I worked at the shop, I had someone want to warranty a set of brake pads because they wore down to the backing plates evenly because we put them on and had a lifetime warranty. Yea, manufacturer defect warranty. They're not warrantied against wearing out in 80k miles. Congrats on getting good life out of them, here's cost for new ones.
    Yes, my bad, typo

Top Bottom