• Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Might you be considering carrying Paragon Para X or XD's?
    Thanks.
    MH

Currently, I'm not planning on stocking any Paragon auto's. This is not to say that they are not a good knife, because they do make a good quality auto for the money. I just can't stock every manufacturer out there starting off (money limitations). Paragon is a manufacturer that I would like to carry down the road, just not at the beginning (July 1st).

lyons0425

Plinker
    Feb 9, 2012
    What is your thoughts on a Benchmade OTF Auto? I carry a Benchmade Emissary everyday and have been very happy with the fit and finish, but am looking around for a good auto now that I can.

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    What is your thoughts on a Benchmade OTF Auto? I carry a Benchmade Emissary everyday and have been very happy with the fit and finish, but am looking around for a good auto now that I can.

With out going custom, there are only two companies that make a good quality DA (double action) OTF, Microtech and Benchmade*. The Benchmade Infidel is a very good knife, it's been around for years and has a good track record. If you want to look at SA (single action) OTF's models, then add Protech's Dark Angel models and Piranha's excalibur models to your list.

* For a lower budget OTF, the H&K Epidemic model is pretty good. The H&K knives are made by Benchmade and are made in U.S.A. and carry the Benchmade life time warranty.

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Last time I priced a Benchmade they were several times what the OP (and I) was looking to spend.

This is true, just like everything you buy in life, there are different levels of quality and the price usually reflects the level of quality. About the only auto I recommend at $50 or slightly less is the Boker AK74 models. Just about everything else in that price range is chinese junk that won't last very long and does not have a warranty.

Thegeek

Master
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I won't disagree. I just think it's funny the way people think.... "I want some quality XYZ, but I don't want to pay the expensive price". Haven't they ever heard the law of commerce?

Good, fast, cheap.... choose only two.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I won't disagree. I just think it's funny the way people think.... "I want some quality XYZ, but I don't want to pay the expensive price". Haven't they ever heard the law of commerce?

Good, fast, cheap.... choose only two.

At work, we call that the "engineering triangle". :D

erikingst

Plinker
    Sep 15, 2013
    Las Vegas
    I'm still carrying the major brands that I started with, Benchmade, Protech, Microtech, Spyderco, Gerber, Boker. I do have a Hubertus and Weidmannsheil for those who like the old German style lever lock knives.

Hi Brad,

I read your post about the Mini Infidel and Epidemic on this thread and would like to know if you could spare a couple minutes to give me your opinion about them. I was told that the Epidemics do not function that well as opposed to an Infidel. And an old video from Notyourmamasknives (now it's BladeHQ) states the Infidel would not make a good EDC - in comparison to the Piranha Excalibur, which I would love to have.

I've been looking at Microtech but read that a lot of their knives, both folders and autos, seem to have to go back to the manufacturer for repairs. I know the general consensus is MT has the best OTF and I was thinking about an Ultratech and now a Troodon as I read they have an improved design over the Ultratech - but there seems to be number of posts reporting issues.

Also there's a Mini Infidel that's on sale for two fifty from an established online retailer, they said they are a big Benchmade dealer and can give a larger discount - but as the saying goes, if it's too good to be true - the lowest I've seen a Mini go for is around three, three twenty, etc.

Thx..

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Hi Brad,

I read your post about the Mini Infidel and Epidemic on this thread and would like to know if you could spare a couple minutes to give me your opinion about them. I was told that the Epidemics do not function that well as opposed to an Infidel. And an old video from Notyourmamasknives (now it's BladeHQ) states the Infidel would not make a good EDC - in comparison to the Piranha Excalibur, which I would love to have.

I've been looking at Microtech but read that a lot of their knives, both folders and autos, seem to have to go back to the manufacturer for repairs. I know the general consensus is MT has the best OTF and I was thinking about an Ultratech and now a Troodon as I read they have an improved design over the Ultratech - but there seems to be number of posts reporting issues.

Also there's a Mini Infidel that's on sale for two fifty from an established online retailer, they said they are a big Benchmade dealer and can give a larger discount - but as the saying goes, if it's too good to be true - the lowest I've seen a Mini go for is around three, three twenty, etc.

Thx..

OTF autos are not reliable by the nature of their design and I don't care if we are talking about a $600 Microtech or a $400 Benchmade, the design is susceptible to failure as far as the blade locking up when fired, and fully retracting when desired (this pertains to DA models, single action OTF autos are a totally different beast). The opening at the end where the blade fires out, allows dirt, crud, and pocket lint to get inside of the knife where all of the springs and mechanisms are located, this can cause lock up and retracting problems and is one of the reliability issues with an OTF design. Note: Some of the internal tolerances on your higher quality OTF knives are working on thousands of an inch.

As far as the difference between an Epidemic and Infidel: Both models are made by Benchmade. The Epidemic is the economy model OTF that Benchmade manufactures under the H&K name. The Infidel is a better design and uses better materials (blade steel, handle material...etc.), but is close to twice the money as the Epidemic. I have not had any experiences or have I heard any problems with the Epidemic models "not functioning well" from my customers.

Unless Blade HQ actually states the reasons behind why they believe the Infidel is not a good EDC knife, I would have to question that statement. The Infidel has been around for many years and has a proven track record. Also, remember that BladeHQ is the largest seller of Piranha knives, so I believe there might be a little bias in their statement about the Infidel with the intent of promoting Piranha knives. This is not to say that the Piranha Excalibur is not a good quality knife, it is a very good OTF knife.

Microtech is the king when it comes to OTF knives. There are probably has been more Microtech OTF knives sold than all of the other companies that make high quality OTF knives combined, so you are going to hear about more problems simply because there are more out there in the real world. The biggest compliant that is associated with Microtech is the their customer service. Turn around time for warranty work can run 6 to 8 weeks. Microtech's Ultratech model is the low end (if there is such a thing) Microtech OTF model. Their other models do have a better design, but you pay for that.

I won't comment on what someone else sells something for. I will tell you this, if they are advertising that price on line, they are breaking the Benchmade MAP agreement that all Benchmade dealers must follow.

Last edited:

wildddw

Marksman
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    I Bought the H&K epidemic from Brad about 3 weeks ago and I love it! It is really sharp and has stayed that way and I love it! I must warn you though I bought this, And now my wife wants one...... Her getting into my hobbies is getting expensive :(

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Hey Brad...I was wondering if you have any thoughts on the H&K Scorch knives? I kind of like the idea of the dual action...

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Hey Brad...I was wondering if you have any thoughts on the H&K Scorch knives? I kind of like the idea of the dual action...

Even though I carry the Scorch models in stock, I have to be totally honest. I have had more problems with them than I care to deal with. This week alone, I'm sending in two for warranty work.

Dual action is cool, and when you don't want to advertise that your knife is an automatic, it's the way to go.

Top Bottom