GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ha, in today's society? Laughable. Yeah...us Hetros have the market cornered on the sanctity of marriage...50% percent of first marriages, 67% of second and 74% of third marriages end in divorce.

So....

What you're saying is that when the institution of marriage is reframed as a simple contract between 2 or more people, filled with escape clauses, and loop holes, it becomes just that...a silly piece of paper to be tossed aside and abandoned when either or both parties decide it's no longer convenient to continue.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If government had never gotten into the marriage business in order to tax certain classes of citizens and give them permission to marry each other we might not even be having this discussion.

Enough people have stated the truth up thread, get government out of the marriage business then it will not matter if says they are married or not.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So....

What you're saying is that when the institution of marriage is reframed as a simple contract between 2 or more people, filled with escape clauses, and loop holes, it becomes just that...a silly piece of paper to be tossed aside and abandoned when either or both parties decide it's no longer convenient to continue.

When there is no love/commitment, hetro or homo (it makes no difference
    ) a marriage will not work. Far too many people get married for the wrong reasons. If you are willing to devote the rest of your life to your partner...that is what defines "marriage". That is all you need. WHO that partner is is none of my business and I'm surely not going to sit here and dictate to two adults whether they should be allowed to marry or not...who am I to do that. The "sanctity" BS is a false flag.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    ) a marriage will not work. Far too many people get married for the wrong reasons. If you are willing to devote the rest of your life to your partner...that is what defines "marriage". That is all you need. WHO that partner is is none of my business and I'm surely not going to sit here and dictate to two adults whether they should be allowed to marry or not...who am I to do that. The "sanctity" BS is a false flag.

It certainly is being redefined to that effect. But to go further would only serve to start this whole debate all over again.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County

In many middle eastern countries it's okay to marry a 12 year old. Are you okay with that?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Hold on a minute there. Have you read of Grecian and/or Roman history? Modern history (particularly that of Europe and America) has been dominated by a largely Christian or Catholic moral view, but in ancient times homosexuality was practiced openly in many places. Granted it may not have been as popular owing to the need for children in an agrarian society, but it was hardly some condemned and derided thing save in certain societies (i.e. the Israelites and a few others).

The Greeks and Romans certainly held homosexuality in a lower position. For a male to be penetrated by another male, especially one of a lower social class, was considered debasement. There was definitely a social stigma attached. In Roman practice, homosexual relationships between freeborn males was considered immoral, but you could use your male slaves and servants for sex though it wasn't exactly promoted, but tolerated. The most common Greek practice was pederasty in which an adult male would court a 12-17 year boy. Is that what you're advocating?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Somepeoplearegay.jpg

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Far more children's lives have been harmed by divorce and subsequent absentee parenting than having 2 parents of the same sex. We should ban divorce.

Interesting that you should bring that up. Divorce was a pretty rare event in the American family up til the 1960s. See my post above for the timeline of the attack on the nuclear family. Another funny thing, as the influence of "Christianity" waned in our society, while it has been denigrated for its "intolerance" and "hate" when it takes a moral stand, our divorce rate has skyrocketed and the nuclear family has fissioned (so to speak). This situation isn't unique to us; we watched it happen to the French and English before it got going well here, but the decline of Christianity - and its accompanying ethical base - has been evident in the downward slide of the western democracies in Europe.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    More bullying to counteract "bullying"? They're shouting their opponents down again.

Correct. A business is threatened by government because of its corporate president's opinion of homosexual marriage. The usual suspect professional radicals know that they can't win that one, so they reframe the argument as a big bad corporation harassing or "hating" gays (apparently disagreement with their goals is "hate" to the professional radical). Then they attack on that basis, even though CFA's president's personal opinion of homosexual marriage and government reprisals to punish him are the real issue. Pure Saul Alinsky playbook all the way.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I don't think anything about it, until this crap forces me too.

ETA: I think this is hilarious that a group of folks that don't want people that disagree with them, telling them how to live their lives, want to tell everybody else what to think:laugh:

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Correct. A business is threatened by government because of its corporate president's opinion of homosexual marriage. The usual suspect professional radicals know that they can't win that one, so they reframe the argument as a big bad corporation harassing or "hating" gays (apparently disagreement with their goals is "hate" to the professional radical). Then they attack on that basis, even though CFA's president's personal opinion of homosexual marriage and government reprisals to punish him are the real issue. Pure Saul Alinsky playbook all the way.

I tried opening this aspect of that same interview earlier but people are so focused on homosexuality...That being, Cathy also "attacked" people whom are divorced and/or married more than once. He did so in about the same manner as he "attacked" homosexuals. And as Denny succinctly pointed out above, a large number of US citizen also fall under another one of Cathy's hate groups. It's a wonder he can stay in business when he attacks and alienates over half of the US population:rolleyes:

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Oh good lord...this stupid argument AGAIN? I said ADULTS...ADULTS can consent...children cannot. Poor argument...very poor.

That's your opinion. Muslim men give their consent for their children to be married. They have a rights just as you do to decide what is allowed and what isn't. For them it would be wrong for an adult muslim woman to marry an adult non muslim man or woman. It's not a stupid argument. It is a real world fact that affects millions of people.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    That's your opinion. Muslim men give their consent for their children to be married. They have a rights just as you do to decide what is allowed and what isn't. For them it would be wrong for an adult muslim woman to marry an adult non muslim man or woman. It's not a stupid argument. It is a real world fact that affects millions of people.

Whatever. It's a **** poor argument to be against gay marriage. It's sad that religion has clouded their paternal instinct and it is wrong. However, I don't see how this counters my point.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't think anything about it, until this crap forces me too.

ETA: I think this is hilarious that a group of folks that don't want people that disagree with them, telling them how to live their lives, want to tell everybody else what to think:laugh:

Yeah, just like other religions and ethnicities. No know one can tell you how to think...only how to act. You don't have to like other races, cultures, religions...but you cannot act on those prejudices. It's not rocket science.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County

Whatever. It's a **** poor argument to be against gay marriage. It's sad that religion has clouded their paternal instinct and it is wrong. However, I don't see how this counters my point.

Devotion of one's life to another does not define marriage. Marriage is defined by the society one lives in based upon the values of said society. Marriage has been defined by civilizations for thousands of years. If the USA wants to redefine marriage, fine. But, until then, people need to follow the law and not make up law their own laws.

People who don't agree with the law can work to change the law, but still need to abide by the law until it is changed. Furthermore, those in government should not put themselves above the law by bullying a person that is expressing his opinion. The CEO of Chick-fil-A has every right to express his opinion and his opinion happens to agree with the law. Threatening to take away his ability to do business in certain cities because he exercised his freedom under the Constitution is wrong and should not be tolerated.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Interesting that you should bring that up. Divorce was a pretty rare event in the American family up til the 1960s. See my post above for the timeline of the attack on the nuclear family. Another funny thing, as the influence of "Christianity" waned in our society, while it has been denigrated for its "intolerance" and "hate" when it takes a moral stand, our divorce rate has skyrocketed and the nuclear family has fissioned (so to speak). This situation isn't unique to us; we watched it happen to the French and English before it got going well here, but the decline of Christianity - and its accompanying ethical base - has been evident in the downward slide of the western democracies in Europe.

And before divorce became prevelant, it wasn't taboo for a husband to beat his wife. I'd much rather see a couple get divorced than to use violence to solve marital problems.

I'm married to my first wife and my 15 year anniversary is coming in February. That's what I believe but I'm not going to legislate my morals on others.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom