• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chondro788

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    SE Indianapolis
    Is Atterbury still open? I went to the website and all the info has been taken down. :dunno: I was thinking of heading down on Saturday, anyone know the what time they open?
    Thanks

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yes they are open on the weekends. The DNR is running it. It's $7.00 and hour for the first hour, then $5.00 for every hour after words. Pay at the skeet house, then take your stub to the range and they assign you a lane. Not for sure what time they open though.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Unsure here. Site is "up" today., But most information is not showing. Hours shows an advertisement, but no hours. I've not been down since the early fall. I'd call tomorrow. I think they are still doing Fri-Sun hours only.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Atterbury is supposed to be in the hands of a new vendor by April 1st. The website has changed from what it used to be but the new site looks like it is only the start of what they need. I'll be heading down there on Saturday morning and will report back on what's up. Hopefully, Buzz is still there and it would be nice to see Phil and crew back again.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    Atterbury is supposed to be in the hands of a new vendor by April 1st. The website has changed from what it used to be but the new site looks like it is only the start of what they need. I'll be heading down there on Saturday morning and will report back on what's up. Hopefully, Buzz is still there and it would be nice to see Phil and crew back again.

Looks like a new vendor taking over operations might be a little later than 1, April. Check with the Attebury F&W area for updates. 812-526-2051. Until then, operations will be Sat. 9 - 5, Sun. Noon - 5

The "old" website that everyone has been getting information from was the "old" vendors website and is no longer connected to the Atterbury shooting range.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    I have recently confirmed that the Indiana Gun Club has been given the concession to operate Atterbury. I have also confirmed that it is likely that "memberships" will be sold. I really hate these "memberships," because you're not a "member" of anything, and you're already a member of the State of Indiana which owns and built the range.

These "memberships" are just front-end profit.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    I have recently confirmed that the Indiana Gun Club has been given the concession to operate Atterbury. I have also confirmed that it is likely that "memberships" will be sold. I really hate these "memberships," because you're not a "member" of anything, and you're already a member of the State of Indiana which owns and built the range.

i would buy a membership if i could go whatever time i wanted like we used to be able to do when it was just dirt. once again when the gov. tries to run something all they do is ____k it up.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    i would buy a membership if i could go whatever time i wanted like we used to be able to do when it was just dirt. once again when the gov. tries to run something all they do is ____k it up.

If I could dig it all up and go back to the way it was, I'd do it in a second.

Please, Mitch, don't "improve" any more ranges.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I went down last Saturday. It's $7 for the first hour and $5 per hour after that. The weather was great and a lot of folks were out. When I was ready to move over to the pistol ranges, it was at least an hour wait, so I bagged it. I have a birth defect, I was born without patience.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Is the transition confirmed? Source of confirmation?

I was down at Beech Grove on Thursday and Greg had not heard anything yet. It was down to them and one other vendor (as far as he knew).

If the state owns it, membership is wrong. $4mil of tax dollars built the thing. that should cover our membership for a long while.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Was down there today breaking in some winter purchases. Probably still too early for the takeover to happen, but it obviously hadn't yet.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy

Amen to that.
    Back then you didn't have to watch the clock, you had time to make friends and talk and you didn't feel like big brother was looking over your shoulder all the time and you didn't have to fit into their time frame. :twocents:

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business

Amen to that.
    Back then you didn't have to watch the clock, you had time to make friends and talk and you didn't feel like big brother was looking over your shoulder all the time and you didn't have to fit into their time frame. :twocents:

PRECISELY!

I used to chat with other shooters, try each others' guns, talk about things, scrounge the trash cans for brass and otherwise have a grand old time.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County

If a Indiana Gun Club is the concession to operate Atterbury. I hope it will be run more like a business. I mean some one that run this and make a profit.
    As for "membership", the last person had such a plan in place. was isnt called "yearly fee"? Being a member of the State of Indiana, do some of you think we should get into state Parks for free or don't think of operating costs? Don't other States Parks charge to get in. like Mcormicks over in Owen county or even other State run parks.
    I guess I don't understand all the talk about Attebury and how it should be free or next to nothing to get in because it a State owned place. I have been over at Atterburry a few times and hear someone say this sucks, we have to pay. I feel "luckly" to live in a State where we have such a place some where a person can go and doesn't have to join a "club" and put up with all the b.s. that comes along with being in a "club".
    I'm not trying to start a big debate or agrument. Just wondering thats all. my father n law hear thing from time to time about this and i'm just wondering.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I went down on Saturday and the word I got was that the new vendor was selected, but the contract is under review by the department of parks or something like that. The DNR guy up at the shotgun range was there and, as always, showed himself to be a nice guy and supporter of shooting sports. Buzz was on the line down at the pistol range, but I only got to chat for a couple of minutes.

There was a new DNR guy inside that did not impress me though. I felt like I was putting him out by asking for 3 pistol lanes for the 4 of us when the number of folks out there was fairly small. Then, he made a big deal out of who was going to be responsible for my 13 year old and who was going to let him shoot on their lane. My 13 year old has probably put 5K rounds downrange in the last year and is very competent and responsible. We've never been questioned like that in the past and it was embarrassing for him. The first guy up at the shotgun range seems to promote shooting sports with the youth, but the new guy at the pistol range seemed to treat them like a problem he did not want to deal with.

Other than that, it was a good day at the range despite the rain and we all got a bit more experience under our belts. Next time I'm down there, hopefully, I'll get a chance to talk with Buzz a bit more to see what's going on.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I also hit the range on saturday. The range is a lot nicer than it used to be and is kept a lot cleaner. Nothing like the good old days of watching the locals drag propane tanks, tv's and everything else under the sun out onto the range for a target. A good concession area with a selection of items without a 300% markeup would be great. A membership wouldn't be bad......if members got lanes before daily use shooters. It would just suck if no one could be found to run the range and it was closed. We don't need to loose places to shoot.

Top Bottom