• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    I went to Atterbury Friday afternoon to sight in a couple of rifles. It was my first time there and I had a great time. Beautiful range, staff were very friendly and helpful, great overall experience. I have heard some grumblings on here about it before, but I thought it was a great place. I will definitely be going back!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    It's kind of a long drive for Indy residents, but for those that want to shoot outside to 100 yds. it's a great facility. Seems they've had their share of tough RO's (and I get that safety is top priority), but right now they seem to have a good crew. Glad your experience was a positive one.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    The drive wasn't too bad. I also liked that I didn't feel rushed for time on the range. I was able to take my time and go slowly because there weren't a ton of people there. This may have been because it was 2pm on a Friday.

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    I like the range myself, only about a 20 min drive from where I live. I 2nd the "tough" RO's (at times) but it's the nicest public range in the area.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have never felt anyone was too tough. I myself enjoy consistent, firm rules when it comes to safety at a range. Personally, I drive from Bloomington and have always felt it was well worth the drive. Great place to shoot.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    I went to Atterbury Friday afternoon to sight in a couple of rifles. It was my first time there and I had a great time. Beautiful range, staff were very friendly and helpful, great overall experience. I have heard some grumblings on here about it before, but I thought it was a great place. I will definitely be going back!

I've never had any problems with the RO's at Atterbury. Are they strict about the rules? YES. To me that is a VERY good thing. The only time I have ever seen them be a little 'harsh' is during a cease-fire when someone touches ANYTHING on the shooting benches. Some people may think it is silly ("I was only grabbing a target from the bench"). I think it is a good thing. They are very clear when they tell you you can go forward to change targets - they specifically state over the PA that you are not to touch anything on the shooting bench. When I'm down range and I hear "GET AWAY FROM THE SHOOTING BENCH!" I appreciate the fact that they are working hard to keep me safe. I have no issue with them being 'harsh' about it. Frankly, I want to go smack the person getting near the bench while I'm down range swapping a target. :twocents:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My wife and I were there yesterday, on the pistol lanes. It was a beautiful day for shooting.
    There are plenty of pistol lanes, but they nearly filled up at about noon! It was a great time, as usual, and we very much appreciate the hard work put in by the folks there, especially the RSO's. They are helpful and friendly, and take the safety on the range seriously..exactly as it should be.
    Any corrections from the RSO's that I have seen (and experienced, as a result of my personal brain fade :ugh:) were appropriate and welcomed.
    We also drive from the Bloomington area to shoot at this range because it's the safest range we know of, and that alone makes it worth it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Good clay shooting there. I won't be back to the pistol/rifle range. I'm not military, and I don't appreciate being barked at.

If I'm shooting pistols or rifles, I go to Crosley.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I was down there yesterday shooting a pair of M1 Carbines and had a great time. They had the same crew there yesterday that's been there for years and they've always been great. My guess is that when the ROs seem tough, it's because they've had to deal with some extra idiocy that day and are a bit stressed.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I was at Atterbury Shooting Complex this past Friday afternoon. I had not been there in a few months. The last time I was there someone swept my head with the muzzle of their AR and I decided to take a break from that range.

This past friday I was on the pistol range and moved my target stand back to the next concrete pad during a cease-fire. The older Gentleman in the bay next to me had never been to the range and didn't bring anything to put his targets on the stand with so I gave him a few sticky targets. When I turned around his wife was at the bench directly behind us fooling around with the wheel gun he had on the bench while pointing the muzzle at our backs. The RO never saw it. The two groups of shooters on my other side saw it but didn't say a damn thing. I got the attention of the gentleman I gave a target to and pointed at his wife. His eyes were like saucers and he started yelling at her to get away from the bench.

I like the range. I've never had a problem with any RO or staff there, but 5/10 of the times I've been there in the last two years I've seen someone violating basic safety rules because they either don't listen or don't care.

IMO, there should be a RO on either side of the range one for the 50yard bays, one for the pistol bays, and have either cover the 100 yard lanes.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Picking up a piece of paper off the bench...Those RO's can go to hell.

"You may move forward to change your targets. Do not touch anything on or near the shooting benches...." Is clearly announced over the PA before anyone is allowed to move forward from the yellow line. The rules are clear and the instructions are clear. If you can't follow instructions it is your issue, not theirs for enforcing the rules. The rules are their for everyone's safety.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    That's not safety. That's drill sergeant BS. Like I said, I don't like their rules, or their attitude, so I don't go there anymore. It was a LOT nicer place a few years back before they turned it into what it is today.
    "You may move forward to change your targets. Do not touch anything on or near the shooting benches...." Is clearly announced over the PA before anyone is allowed to move forward from the yellow line. The rules are clear and the instructions are clear. If you can't follow instructions it is your issue, not theirs for enforcing the rules. The rules are their for everyone's safety.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Is this a public range as in owned and/or ran by the government? If so, what is the annual budget and what is the annual income via usage fees?

Not 100% sure about the Ownership, but reading this leads me to believe that it is state owned:

DNR: Atterbury Fish & Wildlife Area

If you click on the 'Activities' tab it does list the shooting range, but redirects you to their website.

:dunno:

Top Bottom