• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I was at Atterbury Shooting Complex this past Friday afternoon. I had not been there in a few months. The last time I was there someone swept my head with the muzzle of their AR and I decided to take a break from that range.

This past friday I was on the pistol range and moved my target stand back to the next concrete pad during a cease-fire. The older Gentleman in the bay next to me had never been to the range and didn't bring anything to put his targets on the stand with so I gave him a few sticky targets. When I turned around his wife was at the bench directly behind us fooling around with the wheel gun he had on the bench while pointing the muzzle at our backs. The RO never saw it. The two groups of shooters on my other side saw it but didn't say a damn thing. I got the attention of the gentleman I gave a target to and pointed at his wife. His eyes were like saucers and he started yelling at her to get away from the bench.

I like the range. I've never had a problem with any RO or staff there, but 5/10 of the times I've been there in the last two years I've seen someone violating basic safety rules because they either don't listen or don't care.

IMO, there should be a RO on either side of the range one for the 50yard bays, one for the pistol bays, and have either cover the 100 yard lanes.

This is how they were running on Sunday. Buzz was covering the pistol bays and Frank was covering the 50 yard line. I think the overlapped on the 100 yard line. Atterbury is a great range and well run. It's not a good range to practice defensive skills but it is a good range for those either new to shooting or who are focused on hunting and need to sight a rifle in.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    This is how they were running on Sunday. Buzz was covering the pistol bays and Frank was covering the 50 yard line. I think the overlapped on the 100 yard line. Atterbury is a great range and well run. It's not a good range to practice defensive skills but it is a good range for those either new to shooting or who are focused on hunting and need to sight a rifle in.

Agreed. I should also point out that they did that (2 ROs) when I first got there, but later switched to one covering the entire line (pistol, 100yd, & 50yd bays.) I assumed it was because there were only 7 bays being used at the time.

ADDICTED2TONE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Floyds Knobs
    I usually go to Knob Creek but I am gonna try this place next time. It's about 90 miles from be but I need some new scenery. KCR is kinda dangerous, bunch of green horns with zero discipline and the RSO has his hands fulll

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I enjoyed Atterbury when I went there (joined the Martinsville club and haven't been since). I got "barked at" about 3 times, but each time it was for something different (I try not to make the same mistakes twice :):), and it didn't bother me. I think they have to have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to touching stuff on the benches. Sure, you may know you're only picking up a target, or in my case a bottle of water, but the guy two lanes down may decide to coonfinger his gun. Now multiply that by 25 or 30 people on a busy day, and the RO's don't have time to decide who is doing what. Easier just to say "Keep away from the benches" period. Personally, with the amount of firepower potentially pointing down range when people are changing targets, I'm glad they are strict.

Top Bottom