• Status
    Not open for further replies.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I've read the entire thread and I'm still looking for an explanation. Maybe we simply need to ask Buzz who is a RO at Atterbury and a member here to chime in..............
    What do you want me to explain? There are 67 shooting lanes and never more than 2 RSos on the range. Sometimes it's a tough job to keep track of what everyone is doing. The range rules at Atterbury are range specific rules. They apply to that range. If I shoot at another range and one of their rules is to stand on your head and shoot, I have two options, follow the rules or go someplace else. I am sure I would not be missed. The people who shoot at Atterbury have the same options. If they choose to shoot elseware because they don't like the rules I can assure you they will not be missed. If your firearm is on the bench, pointed down range magazine out, and the action is open (I need to see the chamber) I can assure you I will not touch your precious firearm. The only firearms I fondle are M1-Garands, and I always ask. If your firearm has not bee placed on the bench in the above condition I am going to make it safe. I handle a firearm when I must with the utmost care. If you don't want your firearm handled listen to what I have to say before each ceasfire. I say it twice before every ceasfire And almost every time I have to open actions and remove mags before I can let people go down range. People just don't pay attention. I am sure there are some pros that never make a mistake on the range and have never failed to clear a firearm properly, had an AD or even committed a minor error. I am not in that class myself. Bottom line is I don't know that your a pro shooter, professional assassin, military sniper or any other type of warrior and I don't care. You still have to obey the rules. Management and The DNR make the rules and they are posted and copies are available. My job as a CRSO is to see that the rules are obeyed. Will be glad to answer any specific question if I can.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    What do you want me to explain? There are 67 shooting lanes and never more than 2 RSos on the range. Sometimes it's a tough job to keep track of what everyone is doing. The range rules at Atterbury are range specific rules. They apply to that range. If I shoot at another range and one of their rules is to stand on your head and shoot, I have two options, follow the rules or go someplace else. I am sure I would not be missed. The people who shoot at Atterbury have the same options. If they choose to shoot elseware because they don't like the rules I can assure you they will not be missed. If your firearm is on the bench, pointed down range magazine out, and the action is open (I need to see the chamber) I can assure you I will not touch your precious firearm. The only firearms I fondle are M1-Garands, and I always ask. If your firearm has not bee placed on the bench in the above condition I am going to make it safe. I handle a firearm when I must with the utmost care. If you don't want your firearm handled listen to what I have to say before each ceasfire. I say it twice before every ceasfire And almost every time I have to open actions and remove mags before I can let people go down range. People just don't pay attention. I am sure there are some pros that never make a mistake on the range and have never failed to clear a firearm properly, had an AD or even committed a minor error. I am not in that class myself. Bottom line is I don't know that your a pro shooter, professional assassin, military sniper or any other type of warrior and I don't care. You still have to obey the rules. Management and The DNR make the rules and they are posted and copies are available. My job as a CRSO is to see that the rules are obeyed. Will be glad to answer any specific question if I can.

+1+! :yesway:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace

While I can agree 100% with "if you don't like the rules, shoot somewhere else", I still have a problem with handling someone elses firearm. In my case, an H&R broke open in broad daylight, STRICTLY ACCORDING TO YOUR RULES? For Christ sake, Helen Keller could see an H&R broke open is unloaded!:n00b: Why did anyone feel the need to touch my firearm? And removing the flag I had in my HP carbine? I guess I can understand if you have a rule against using one, but again you should IMO ask the owner to remove it.

As far as my buddy's NEW 10/22 being practicly dropped back onto the bench scratching the stock, wouldn't it just be better for the RO to ask the OWNER to show him/her the firearm is unloaded? What would be the management's explaination AND response if somehow a REALLY REALLY expensive, or "precious" as you call it, firearm was dinged, scratched, or otherwise damaged by careless handling like my buddys 10/22 was? Or would the response be (taking from your tone) Damn.... sucks to be you!

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    While I can agree 100% with "if you don't like the rules, shoot somewhere else", I still have a problem with handling someone elses firearm. In my case, an H&R broke open in broad daylight, STRICTLY ACCORDING TO YOUR RULES? For Christ sake, Helen Keller could see an H&R broke open is unloaded!:n00b: Why did anyone feel the need to touch my firearm? And removing the flag I had in my HP carbine? I guess I can understand if you have a rule against using one, but again you should IMO ask the owner to remove it.

As far as my buddy's NEW 10/22 being practicly dropped back onto the bench scratching the stock, wouldn't it just be better for the RO to ask the OWNER to show him/her the firearm is unloaded? What would be the management's explaination AND response if somehow a REALLY REALLY expensive, or "precious" as you call it, firearm was dinged, scratched, or otherwise damaged by careless handling like my buddys 10/22 was? Or would the response be (taking from your tone) Damn.... sucks to be you!
    Actually How long ago did you have your problem? I am not doubting what you are saying but the benches are wooden and in order to scratch or ding a stock it must have been slammed down pretty hard. Hope your friend reported it to management and was satisfied with the outcome. OBIs are encouraged. If we are not busy and the owner of the firearm is available I will ask him or her to make it safe. If we are busy, no way am I going to ask each person to come and clear their firearm. It takes to long. People want to get down range and post their targets. It doesn't suck to be me as stated above. I actually like the CRSO job. Get to meet some really nice people and am invited to shoot a lot of different firearms. When I am not being a range Nazi I spend most of my time helping people improve their skills on the range.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Except the looseness with the rules and the complete disregard for safety, I do miss the ability to send water-filled milk jugs soaring through the air. But not having to worry about Joe-Bob dicking around with the gun he left loaded on the bench pointed at my backside is a HUGE improvement.

well on the good ranges i have been privy to participate at, you get your ass beat for doing stupid **** that could kill people. and that's the way it should be. which one would dumb joe-bob prefer? getting shot by me, or getting his lip busted so he doesn't do it again at any other range? yep, i like number 2 also.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If your firearm is on the bench, pointed down range magazine out, and the action is open (I need to see the chamber) I can assure you I will not touch your precious firearm. I handle a firearm when I must with the utmost care. If you don't want your firearm handled listen to what I have to say before each ceasfire.

well, I did all of the above and the guy still touched and played with mine this last time and a couple times before. (rifle that is). always the same guy. next time I will just grab all my **** and leave whether its a cease fire or not. my $4 will be on the ground on my way out.

I will give it one more time and see what happens there. if the same guy (always the same guy) does it again, i will make sure to get his name and picture. You might not give a **** if you lose one or 2 paying customers, but you will care when it hits a certain number that they cant afford to pay your wages. and if enough people know that RO's are gonna touch and play with their hard earned guns, im sure they will not visit and it will make a financial impact. Buzz, you might not play with people weapons, I know it wasnt you (well I think it wasnt). but your colleague does, so maybe you can let him know not to get on peoples **** list by touching their guns when its not necessary? just a suggestion. Im all for rules on a range. I might not like all of them, but I can tolerate it. just cant tolerate people I dont know touching my guns. Thats a NO, NO!

vwoodrum11

Marksman
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Indy
    I go to Atterbury all the time and I've seen Buzz open actions before but he's always been careful that I've seen. I don't see the big deal with someone touching you firearm, now if they slam it down that's one thing but just to check it who cares. I've been next to idiots who have rented guns and watched Buzz teach them how to use it. He repeats himself and idiots still mess around on the bench. I think the rules are fine. I'd rather it be safe than someone getting hurt. My:twocents:.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I go to Atterbury all the time and I've seen Buzz open actions before but he's always been careful that I've seen. I don't see the big deal with someone touching you firearm, now if they slam it down that's one thing but just to check it who cares. I've been next to idiots who have rented guns and watched Buzz teach them how to use it. He repeats himself and idiots still mess around on the bench. I think the rules are fine. I'd rather it be safe than someone getting hurt. My:twocents:.

well then you and I have a monumental difference because i do care. I care even if its a $50 POS mossin or hi-point. The guy who touched my gun was just as much of an idiot in my book as the fools who do other stupid ****. but that's just me. I'm not an idiot so I don't know how they all roll.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That's weird man, unless it was a different guy. Every time I have been I locked the chamber open on my rifles, but the one time I forgot to do it they just asked me too open it so they could ensure it was cleared. They never "fondled" my rifles or handguns though.:twocents:

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    :wow:

kids these days...

let daddy show you what real shooting is...

scope...

Gun-Ho-pistol-box-GHCSE-4.jpg

lenses...

jaggi.jpg

I'm not a professional shooter, although I do have the aforementioned USMC Expert Rifle and Pistol Badges(Army too...) I have read through this entire thread and it sounds like a professionally ran range with the possible exception of 1 RO, but, even his lack of professionalism is not a safety issue(well, maybe HIS safety...) All in all I think I would go to this range if it wasn't so far... After reading this entire thread I kept thinking... Do people actually wear those shooting glasses in the second picture????

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I'm not a professional shooter, although I do have the aforementioned USMC Expert Rifle and Pistol Badges(Army too...) I have read through this entire thread and it sounds like a professionally ran range with the possible exception of 1 RO, but, even his lack of professionalism is not a safety issue(well, maybe HIS safety...) All in all I think I would go to this range if it wasn't so far... After reading this entire thread I kept thinking... Do people actually wear those shooting glasses in the second picture????

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :yesway:

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    well, I did all of the above and the guy still touched and played with mine this last time and a couple times before. (rifle that is). always the same guy. next time I will just grab all my **** and leave whether its a cease fire or not. my $4 will be on the ground on my way out.

I will give it one more time and see what happens there. if the same guy (always the same guy) does it again, i will make sure to get his name and picture. You might not give a **** if you lose one or 2 paying customers, but you will care when it hits a certain number that they cant afford to pay your wages. and if enough people know that RO's are gonna touch and play with their hard earned guns, im sure they will not visit and it will make a financial impact. Buzz, you might not play with people weapons, I know it wasnt you (well I think it wasnt). but your colleague does, so maybe you can let him know not to get on peoples **** list by touching their guns when its not necessary? just a suggestion. Im all for rules on a range. I might not like all of them, but I can tolerate it. just cant tolerate people I dont know touching my guns. Thats a NO, NO!
    It might have been me. If so I apologise. As stated above I have been known to make a mistake on occasion.I am the guy with the khaki shirt with all the NRA goodies and military ribbons on it. I am usually to busy and have zero interest in picking up someones firearm that is benched properly.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    E5RANGER, I need a clarification. On one of your above posts you state that on a good range you get your ass beat for doing stupid things that could kill people. On your next post you state next time I will just gather my **** and leave wheather under a cease fire or not. Most people assume that gathering your stuff and leaving during a cease fire is a stupid thing that could get people killed. Please clarify.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    It might have been me. If so I apologise. As stated above I have been known to make a mistake on occasion.I am the guy with the khaki shirt with all the NRA goodies and military ribbons on it. I am usually to busy and have zero interest in picking up someones firearm that is benched properly.
    Buzz...I have made a few "bench mistakes" like forgetting to remove the empty magazine for inspection, and laying my pistol on the bench with the eject port down, making it hard to tell it was unloaded. In both cases you showed the utmost respect for Deb and me, and also our very average daily carry firearms, and took care of it...no muss, no fuss. I was still properly embarrased in both cases, without you calling me over for my deserved "dumb-arse" moment, and I appreciated that. Shooting at Atterbury has always been a safe, pleasant experience for us. Now if you could just make it warmer, we would be there more often in the winter. :D

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    If they choose to shoot elseware because they don't like the rules I can assure you they will not be missed.
    never tell any customer that they wont be missed...specially in a business that was built by taxpayers... its rude,,,and it cant be more wrong from a business point of view,,, the bare fact that i know that your business exists,,,that ive been to your business,,,and that i have a small complaint about your business,,,makes me a much easier lead to chase than a cold lead... you signed your name to a contract to run a service business,,,a business the went out a little while ago,,,you should really take a customer service seminar to see what it takes to get loyal customers... its all about service,,,service,,,service... then its about more service,,,service,,,service,,, Turning Complaints Into Loyalty always remember---More people will know about bad service from dissatisfied Customers than your good service from satisfied customers. Customer Service Facts ? No Fiction? Tekgirl's Tech Support Blog this aint the military...and why do gun owners so often get this rough,,,grufff service and tone in this hobby??? they couldnt get away with that kind of customer service anywhere else...like a golf club,,,and since atterbury went out already once,,,it dont look like theyre getting away with it there.. any military attitude will kill loyalty... you gotta act like your staff at a disney resort...doing everything you can to make my stay a pleasure... nobody ever says---oh crap---i gotta check into a disney resort for a few days... heres a good phrase or two for you to use in business when you cant do something a customer wants ---i understand sir,,,i can understand why doing x is important to you,,,but--- and generally ---i understand but---

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Most people assume that gathering your stuff and leaving during a cease fire is a stupid thing that could get people killed.
    cant be more wrong... most people DO NOT assume that... always leave and set up during a cease fire,,,so you wont distract another shooter by setting up during a hot line or by walking off a hot line... maybe you got a point on casing guns,,,but i have no problem seeing a cased gun get walked on or off the line hot or cold,,,just no uncasing going on during cold... if a cased gun is a risk to another shooter,,,its a risk hot or cold,,,or even if the gun is the the guys truck on 465...

Last edited:

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Anyone know how much it costs to shoot at Atterburry? Also are there any other ranges close to Greenwood?

also Machete, I wanted to point this out to you seeing as you wanted to make a huge deal about posts in this thread with the condisending "manners" statement.

Practice what you preach, this is the original post, no where in this post do I see a question that says "is the range safe, is it a good range" It's just " How much does it cost, and are there any other ranges close to Greenwood"

:twocents:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom