• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    Hmmm, I swear I didn't see Clint Eastwood there. :scratch:

That's one thing I miss at Appleseed, the instructor's are introduced but the participants aren't. It's easy to figure out who the ladies are, there were only four of us on the first day and two the second, out of 37 shooters day one and 24 shooters day two.

Come on ladies, we need to represent better. This isn't just for men, we ladies can shoot too. Pew, breath in, breath out, pew, breath in, breath out, pew. :):

Rayne I'm offended! We spoke Sunday in the pits! I'm the moron who was running around in a plate carrier and helmet both afternoons!

Apparently, Rayne has never seen A Fistful of Dollars. Otherwise the plate carrier would have given it away.

Clint_plate.jpg

@ YHJ ... Any chance you could PM / email me that PDF as well? I need an image file that can be scaled for a custom databook.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Before you take the time to make a custom databook, check out the one YHJ and I made. Its on our forum. Rifleman Databooks

I won't claim perfection or anything but it was made specifically with shooting D-Targets in mind in field conditions. It is less detailed than some but more complete than others. We reviewed and chewed several databooks including older manuals from the service and highpower type books. In the end, It was an old Marine manual and a 1942 Army databook we stole the most from. I'm really proud of the result. YHJ worked hard on it and the thing is cheap and simple to use.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    We're scheduled again this year. Read these posts and learn from it. Lean and mean leads to more success and tons more fun.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Rayne I'm offended! We spoke Sunday in the pits! I'm the moron who was running around in a plate carrier and helmet both afternoons!

My deepest apologies. I was looking for this Clint Eastwood...

Not the very young and handsome Clint Eastwood I saw on the range this weekend....
    Clint-Eastwood-9283502-1-402.jpg

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    So, you are saying that old guys ain't handsome? Now I am offended.

I'm telling ya, when you get in a jam, you call the alarm list. Me and Hawk will get it sorted out.

YHJ

-- If you can't be handsome, be accurate.

My deepest apologies. I was looking for this Clint Eastwood...

Not the very young and handsome Clint Eastwood I saw on the range this weekend....
    Clint-Eastwood-9283502-1-402.jpg

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

I'm telling ya, when you get in a jam, you call the alarm list. Me and Hawk will get it sorted out.

YHJ

If Rayne gets in a jam, it'll be tap, rack, bang. I spent most all day Sunday pulling her target. She's sorted out.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper

YHJ

Nope, what I'm saying is this granny hardly notices the young handsomes anymore.

His AAR doesn't read like a young fella's either. He must be an old soul like Huff.

Believe me I got a list of folks I know to call on if there is ever a jam. :thumbsup:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I learned some things this weekend. I've done KD before so this time not so much about me but more about my gear.

Noveske & Colt ARs rock! Trijicon rocks! Tasco SUCKS! New Springfield M1A extractors are WEAK! Snapped like a twig on about the 75th round. These are supposed to be battle rifles damn it not "Ginger" from Gilligan's Island.

And a lesson in steel case Wolf ammo. It can shoot sub 2 MOA sighter groups at 300 yards. I did it twice. It can shoot a rifleman's score out of a non-free floated 14.5" barrel AR.

I went leaner on day2 but not by much. I was already pretty lean. My Tasco binocs died in the rain. Even being under cover most of the time.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    In the immortal words of Ol Huff, this is ferserious. Are you sorted out? Can you handle a day on the range without the comforts of your mat, chair, cooler and all the other cool little gadgets you bring to the range? If you can’t say yes to these questions you don’t need to be at Atterbury. I’m not saying that to be mean, that’s the reality.

I’ve read the posts about bringing only what you need and nothing else. I took it serious, yet I still took stuff out of my pack and rearranged it on Saturday night, after spending a day fighting with it. At Atterbury you will need something to see the targets that are marked for hits when you are shooting your sighters. I brought a spotting scope. It’s a great piece of equipment, but a descent pair of binoculars would have been less bulky and just as good. When they told us we were only going to be doing one set of sighters on Sunday, half of us put our binoculars back in our vehicles. Yep, I brought binoculars the second day because I wasn’t going to lug that spotting scope and tripod around again. I learned my lesson.

Another key thing I found out this weekend that made Sunday run so much better for me was I brought a ziploc gallon size bag and emptied all my free boxes of Wolf ammo into it. Then when told to prep a magazine for X amount of rounds, I just reached into the bag grabbed a handful of Wolf ammo and counted out what I needed. When it was raining I zipped the bag shut, otherwise I just left it open.

Get a good back pack, one with lots of pockets. More pockets means less stuff stacked on top of stuff in one large compartment and less time digging around to find it. Always put gear back in the same spot too, so you know where it is. Organization is the key to making the day run smoothly.

So it’s been a year since I’ve done my first Appleseed. I’ve done a few in that year’s time and I’m still learning. This time I think my lesson learned will cost me the most though. I said after doing the Evansville KD shoot that you need to know your equipment to be successful. Yet I choose to do another KD without ever having laid eyes on the rifle I was going to shoot and the AR platform being totally foreign to me. What was I thinking??? I don’t know, but I do know that after this weekend, I am going to try and have my own centerfire rifle and optics, and I will know them and have them sorted out before I do another KD. That’s the plan anyway.

I also came to the conclusion that even though I’m an Ok shot, I’m not a consistent OK shot and that’s what it takes to be a rifleman. Being able to consistently place your shots in the same 4 MOA(minutes of angle) area. How do I fix that? In six steps; Sight Alignment, Sight Picture, Respitory Pause, Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze the trigger (pew), follow through. Repeat as many times as needed for desired results.

A big Thank You goes out to WOLF PERFORMANCE ARMS, IWI, and MACH1. Your generosity was amazing. Not only free ammo to the shooters but free ammo as prizes too. I enjoyed sitting and chatting with C.J. Sunday morning. I wish I’d had more time, because I would have really liked to listen to more of his stories. This gentleman is a true American Hero. Thank you for sponsoring this shoot and THANK YOU for serving our country to assure us of our freedoms.

I don’t know if there is enough Thanks to express how grateful I am to all the instructors for giving of their time this weekend. It hit home all of the sacrifices the instructors make to teach us, when Tator’s wife text him and said “We are at Bob Evans, eating a hot meal in your honor”. All the while Tator is standing in the rain with us on Father’s Day.

Thank you Indiana instructors. Thank you Illinois, Ohio, Michigan and Kentucky instructor’s for taking the time out of your busy schedules and teaching us this weekend.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Long list of images are up on the AAR on the appleseedinfo site.

A few favorites here:

9071346618_98ca87563b_b.jpg

9072918258_779390ea2d_b.jpg

9070721545_10f79b6871_c.jpg

9072922928_4a1de8a040_b.jpg

9072943698_7cf68863f5_b.jpg

9070685003_2a32d2f3fe_b.jpg

9070691973_33a2156b86_b.jpg

9072914322_e358db12bb_b.jpg

9072914622_ed29612d51_b.jpg

9070773339_85820d132f_b.jpg

9070689965_eca791b931_b.jpg

9070706039_b767e887ce_c.jpg

9065476586_4451e3f516_b.jpg

9072915728_7ec80b78b2_b.jpg

9070746519_a7256030a2_b.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Very cool! Hope I can catch the next one.

HOP...sorry to hear about the extractor problem, but have heard that frequently on the newer commercial M1a's. Mine has an upgraded USGI extractor that is much more capable of the task at hand.

Rayne-

Sorry we didn't get together prior to the shoot to sort out the AR, but from the sounds of things you had it pretty well figured out. :ar15:

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    I have no idea what that is and suspect it is a computer thing. Is it why I cant find a job? Ignore that. If you think we need it I will send it to our promotions guy and get someone tasked with it. Can you pm me with a breakdown of how it works and how we take advantage of it?

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Anyone got any ideas why so many dropped out Saturday? I am interested in the attendees opinion. I have now we ran long. Obviously there are adjustments I should have made and some preparedness issues for some folks. I made a conscious decision to not leave anyone out. I know that affected things some.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Ol Huff, I know all about the 25 yard thing..... sighting in, then going to 200, and start shooting, and then adjust, and write everything down, and then do it some more..... USMC, 4 years, AD., 22 years INARNG, .....

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    If I had to guess, I'd say a few people saw rain in the forecast and decided to stay in bed. That, or they weren't sure if their pretty "Ginger" rifles were dishwasher safe.

I did have to laugh at $30,000+ worth of rifles and optics laying in the rain and grass Sunday. I didn't hear any complaints though...after the first one, the dings, scratches, and scuffs start to be points of pride. A few of my rifles are starting to show some use and wear...they get that way when you shoot 'em.

Top Bottom