• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linuxguy

Plinker
    Sep 20, 2012
    Very cool! The whole Atterbury thing piqued my curiosity for KD....I'd be very interested in a Red Brush shoot if they can do KD.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    So, if my shooting and slow learning curve doesn't slow everyone down, will we get the chance at Atterbury to hop over to the next line and do 500yds? I mean it's just right there. :dunno: :D

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So, if my shooting and slow learning curve doesn't slow everyone down, will we get the chance at Atterbury to hop over to the next line and do 500yds? I mean it's just right there. :dunno: :D

Hop? Huh, what?

Strange thing happened today with the M1A. I shot 30 rounds to fine tune zero @ 100 then my zero jumped down ~4 MOA. I didn't touch a thing. The group was the same size just shifted lower. I changed from a red X target with 1" grids to an 8" black circle. Maybe it threw off my POA. :dunno:

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Hop? Huh, what?

Strange thing happened today with the M1A. I shot 30 rounds to fine tune zero @ 100 then my zero jumped down ~4 MOA. I didn't touch a thing. The group was the same size just shifted lower. I changed from a red X target with 1" grids to an 8" black circle. Maybe it threw off my POA. :dunno:

6 o clock hold or center of mass? Same hold for both targets?

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Maybe. Sight Alignment is another suspect. Size of target also matters. If you are shooting at a larger target it is common to not focus as critically and allow your group to drift.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    the Range we are on is a 500 yard range. the determiner on whether or not we go to 500 to get comeups is whether or not the group is moving fast enough to take the time to do it. So i would encourage you in your veteran status to not spare the whip.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Bubba, center hold on both. The red X target actually had 1 X in the center and 4 in the corners. I use the top edge of the front sight to bisect the black circle. My eyes must be playing tricks on me. :(

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Sounds like you were using a "flat tire" hold. This leads me back to sight alignment. Anytime you go into a center of mass sight picture the increased chances for obscuring the target often cause a head tilt to make the sight picture appear proper. that is de facto bad cheek weld and cheek weld IS sight alignment.

I could be totally wrong about all of it, though. Without getting down and looking you in the face its impossible to support any of what I just said.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Hop? Huh, what?

Captain obvious wants to know if the number of clicks back to zero changed. Is your sight loose?

It's the first thing I would check.

YHJ

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Since I hadn't done any clicks I'll agree with ol'huff and go with the flat tire effect.

Can't wait to take this gun out to longer distances.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I'm beginning to get a bit nervous with all this talk of working with your rifles, making sure they run smoothly and everything is all clean and lubed. Checking zero's and fine tuning them. And here I sit, with no rifle to work with.

Is there anything I can be doing to prepare for Atterbury?

How much harder is Atterbury going to be physically than a regular Appleseed or even the Evansville KD back in March?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I'm beginning to get a bit nervous with all this talk of working with your rifles, making sure they run smoothly and everything is all clean and lubed. Checking zero's and fine tuning them. And here I sit, with no rifle to work with.

How much harder is Atterbury going to be physically than a regular Appleseed or even the Evansville KD back in March?

Start drinking lots of water. I've been drinking more water lately because I work outside a lot and it's warming up (although cooling off lately). I'm going to start really hydrating heavier the week before the shoot and I'm going to start on Tylenol the day before the shoot (I'm going right from Atterbury into another class on Monday and Tuesday so I need all the help I can get lol)

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    Start drinking lots of water. I've been drinking more water lately because I work outside a lot and it's warming up (although cooling off lately). I'm going to start really hydrating heavier the week before the shoot and I'm going to start on Tylenol the day before the shoot (I'm going right from Atterbury into another class on Monday and Tuesday so I need all the help I can get lol)

:yesway: This is a good plan (hydrating part ... pre-medicating with Tylenol is a case-by-case decision) ^

Hydrate ... hydrate ... hydrate ... This single preparatory action in the preceding week will make a world of difference in how the weekend turns out for you. Stretching is a close second.

You can have the most ultra reliable, ultra lubed rifle with the best ammo and most detailed notes/come ups but if you fail to hydrate, the range will take it's toll.

If you are normally sedentary, another good idea is to go for a walk every day starting now. I'm not talking about a ten mile hike through the woods. Just add something a bit above and beyond your daily activity ... maybe once around the block in the shoes you'll be wearing that weekend.

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

You will be fine. it's a bit scary the first AQT or so but then it all falls into place for a good rifleman/woman. I have seen you shoot. Atterbury will be no different. remember the 6 steps to firing the shot and your Npoa. You will be fine after you get your come ups on the first AQT. bring your note pad and write stuff down. then your golden.

Don't let all these folks psych you out. You know what your about. Just show up and do what you always do.....shoot well!

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Since I hadn't done any clicks I'll agree with ol'huff and go with the flat tire effect.

Can't wait to take this gun out to longer distances.

You didn't count your clicks before you shot for zero? Why were you shooting, fireforming brass?

We are gonna work on that.

YHJ

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    You will be fine. it's a bit scary the first AQT or so but then it all falls into place for a good rifleman/woman. I have seen you shoot. Atterbury will be no different. remember the 6 steps to firing the shot and your Npoa. You will be fine after you get your come ups on the first AQT. bring your note pad and write stuff down. then your golden.

Don't let all these folks psych you out. You know what your about. Just show up and do what you always do.....shoot well!

Best advice so far. The targets will look the same through your sights, the distance will be the same. Just a different spot of dirt. You will be far ahead of most shooters there. Don't sweat it go have fun.

redbaron

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld
    Best advice so far. The targets will look the same through your sights, the distance will be the same. Just a different spot of dirt. You will be far ahead of most shooters there. Don't sweat it go have fun.

And make sure your site adjustments are going the correct direction! :):

Top Bottom