At what condition(s) do you loan your gun if you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you let a fellow INGO menber borrow your gun?

• Total voters

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Very few people out there i will loan a gun too.
    Either you have to be family (and that's no guarantee at all) or a very very good friend... of which I can think of maybe 3 I would be comfortable doing this with.

On the bright side, if you want to shoot one of my guns, I will be more then happy to meet you at a range assuming you buy the ammo and you can fire away with it all day if you want... but she goes home with me.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have never loaned a gun to anyone. That said, I'm not shy about letting someone else shoot one of my guns at the range. Today I spoke with someone today at Crosley who was interested in what I was shooting. He was polite and courteous and I offered to let him shoot my 300wsm. After he shot, he returned the favor by letting me shoot his Romainian 7.62x54 AK style rifle. It was a good day for both of us although his shoulder was a little more sore.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Loan a gun to someone, as in out of my view? Uh, never.... I'm surprised at the poll.

Im surprised too.
    Maybe my question in the poll was not clear enough.
    Some people may have answered "yes" meaning that they would let someone borrow their gun but only at the range when they are present.

That's a good surprise anyway to see that so many people are so friendly and ready to let someone try their gun when they are at the range. :)

I cant wait to do that whenever I have the chance and I would let someone shoot my guns as well of course.

flick1900

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Troy, IN
    In a couple of threads, where people were asking about a particular model of gun that they wanted to buy, I saw some INGO menbers saying: "Hey I have this gun, you can just borrow it, go to the range and see how you like it."
    I thought it was VERY generous to let someone borrow and shoot your own gun.

I already shot a couple of guns who were not mine.It was at the range where the owner of the gun just let me shot one or two rounds to see how I liked his gun.
    Usually people are proud of their toys and if you get too curious about it they even ask you if you want to shoot it.
    But that was at the range with the owner there, and just a few shots because I used his ammo.

I would like to try a few models of guns in the future (before being that same model) and maybe take someone (family menber, not random stranger) to the range and let them try a couple of guns (some that I might not own yet at this time).

So ... sorry about the long thread, but here is my question finally.

What would be your condition(s) to loan a gun to someone that you never met and only know from INGO?

Let say let him/her borrow it for a couple of days and bring it back all clean AND with [STRIKE]most[/STRIKE] ... ALL the parts. :):
    And even maybe with a box of ammo or chocolate (or bacon) to say thanks. ;)

You would not loan any gun to someone you dont personally know?
    Would that depends on the person's age?
    His/her reputation on INGO? (By that I dont mean the actual "INGO rep", I mean how much you know of that person from his/her posts here).
    You would ask for something as a deposit? (Cash, some kind of official ID, wife, pets ...)
    Would you ask to see some ID?
    Make that person sign something that says he/she is borrowing the gun?
    Would you let that person "borrow" your gun only if you could come to the range with him/her?
    Have you already done it?

Thank you all for your answers! :yesway:

There are four things that I don't lend out
    -pickup truck
    -chainsaw
    -family
    -guns

You have to make this decision for yourself.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    only trusted family or very long trusted friends that would do the same for me... other that that id be worried about mistreatment of my firearms

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I voted no.

To me there is a difference in letting somebody shoot one of my guns, and LOANING somebody one of my guns. My guns do not leave my "possession", be it my safe, my vehicle, or my person. I don't want my guns stolen. It isn't a matter of trust. It is a matter of me not wanting them to have to be responsible for replacing the gun.

I had a friend and fellow INGO member ask to borrow one of my rifles to go Coyote hunting. I asked him "can you afford the $1400 to replace it if it gets stolen or broken?".
    Well, of course, the answer is most folks (him included) can not.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I am surprised at the amount of people that said they would never let anyone borrow a gun. hell, there are a few of you on INGO that I am familiar enough with their thoughts and the way they think that once I verified who they were I probably would loan a gun to them for an afternoon. Of course with the break it you bought it condition, but that goes without saying.

win87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    elkhart in
    I have loaned guns many atime. I also borrowed guns 1 year after a house fire. The fire happen just before deer season. Had no troble getting one. I still thank them kindly.

Killraven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    Indy
    Family members or close friends, maybe.. though I have never done it. I would easily let others shoot my guns at the range.. it's all part of the fun!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Easy for you to say...

because you don't have any friends!

I don't have many friends I'd loan a gun to with no questions asked.

If I wouldn't loan it to them that way, I wouldn't loan it to them at all.

I actually sat here and started flipping out my finger on this one and surprised myself. I quit counting at ten as to the people I'd just open the safe and tell 'em "use it like it were your own". A couple of those I have handed what ever they wanted and never asked a word. They brought it back the same way and told me what they wanted or didn't. I don't care.

My personal rule of thought is if I can't afford to buy it, I can't afford to borrow it. Any one I'd loan one to feels the same I believe.

Far as the OP "...loaning one to some one you know only through INGO..." ROTFLMAO... yeah right.

I'd probably let most shoot it at a range while I'm standing there.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    There's only one INGOer that I'd let use my guns, no questions asked, for as long as he needed it/them for. Other than that, the only other person I'd do that for would be my father.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Nothing leaves the range you didn't buy or trade for. Everything that is mine (guns, not ammo), is yours on the range as much as you want! Simple as that! I clean my guns too much anyways, might as well get'm dirty. I'm always fine with even strangers firing a magazine or two of my ammo to try out a new gun, but beyond that it's from you money. :)

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I would never flat out loan a gun to someone I did not know very personally. I would however meet someone at the range to let them shoot as much as they wanted, assuming they provided and shot my preferred ammo. I generally assume this is what most people mean when they say a member can "borrow" a gun.

Top Bottom