At what condition(s) do you loan your gun if you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you let a fellow INGO menber borrow your gun?

• Total voters

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Class 3 stuff doen't and can't get loaned out, but if you want to shoot it while im there thats fine by me. More people who know about them the better off we all are.

Non-class three stuff gets loaned out to select individuals, and the list of those is disturbingly short. Basically family and a few friends. You basically have to prove that your not going to walk off with it, and not hurt yourself and others. But for those who can... pretty much anything in my safe is up for grabs for as long as you need it. Actually just got back an 458 socom AR I lent a buddy for a month, and it was in better condition than I gave it to him in (was actually cleaned), and had a brand new aimpoint on it.

I loan out my truck all the time to those who don't have one and are responsible, why would my guns be any different?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have loaned out firearms to a very select few that I trust, and know that they will handle it safely. My general rule is if I know you don't have means of replacing it, it stays with me. I recently lent my tommy gun to a close friend, to show off at his family get together. When it was returned to me, it was in the same shape, along with a couple hundred rounds of ammo in the violin case. Had something happened to it while it was in his care, I have no doubt that he would have made it right.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I've let an INGO member shoot my m&p at the range a few months ago when he was looking at getting one and I have a few close friends I would loan a gun out to. The few people I would and have let borrow a gun of mine are the same few people that have let me borrow guns.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    There are several people on this site I would feel comfortable loaning a firearm too. So long as I know who they are and where they live it would be no big deal to me. Maybe I am to trusting but I go by what my instincts tell me for the most part.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There are a couple of guys on here that I feel I know well enough to loan them one of my firearms to try out. There are several more that I would be happy to meet at the range and let them shoot some of them.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've let (encouraged) anyone who asked to shoot my stuff with me at the range. That's not an issue.

Take-home loans are pretty strict. Close friends and family that I trust, and then only maybe. I've loaned pistols out for firends/family to take safety classes, but not "just to have".

Basically the same rules for borrowing my tools or my trailer.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I am surprised by the poll results. As for me, I would never "loan" one of my firearms to anyone for any reason, that is just me. It is my responsibility, only.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I loaned a 12ga. shotgun to my cousin so he could take his wife hunting.
    She was to use his Ithaca 20ga. Him my mossy.

Guy has been around firearms all his life, his dad beat it into him to take care of guns.

Took him about 1 yr to return it, did not clean it, left it in the case dirty.

I opened the case to find a dirty gun with surface rust eating into the bluing in a few spots.

printcraft was pissed. :xmad: My guns go nowhere without me present as a result.
    If I'm at the range and someone wants to shoot my guns, no problem... have fun!

(oh, I later found out that he pawned his Ithaca engraved featherlight his
    dad got him for $50 and did not go back to get it.) :n00b:

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I recently loaned out two handguns to an individual, no big deal. I have even offered to loan out guns to individuals here at INGO.
    But just because we are members of the same board......does not mean I trust or respect the other person and therefore would not just let "ANY" person borrow or even use one of my firearms.

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    I can think of only one, maybe two people I'd loan a gun to. One of them would be the wifey, the other my long time shooting buddy:D That's about it... All other's, I think I would have to be present:dunno:

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    I have let friends borrow my .22 to get rid of some pests. It would really need to be a family member to use my shotgun for hunting. At the range the guns are there to be used.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    If I'm present and see basic safety being practiced I'll let ya try out any of my guns....there a re a handful of relatives and friends I would let borrow guns, tools, lawnmowers, money, vehicles, etc...

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    At the range there open to anyone that is already shot there. They bring ammo they can put all the rounds they whont throw it as for loaning it out I would half to know you pretty well but the good thing for me no one likes glocks :)

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have one on loan now to a friend for his daughter to hunt with. I have let one of my close friend try a few of my guns that they wanted to buy either that gun or one like it. That person has a big collection and is well versed in how to maintain and handle different guns. If something did happen I have no question he would replace the gun or pay for a replacement and never question it.

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    Personally I would never borrow someones firearm for an extended period and would refuse if someone asked me. If I have an interest in a particular gun, I buy it and sell it if I dont like. As for a few shots at the range thats something else.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would probably let someone shoot one of my guns at the range (providing the person was a adult of reasonable common sence), but there would be no "loaning" of my guns

Top Bottom