• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I never understood a 40-car pileup. If you can't see what's in front of you, why don't you slow down?

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Dont forget to clean up the frozen elephant poo of the interstate. Dont want another wreck.

Seriously hope everyone is safe.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Because the 39 cars behind you may not slow down?

I didn't say you had to slam on the brakes. But if you ease off the gas and put some distance between you and the car ahead of you, the guy tailgating you will see you gradually slowing, even with close to zero visability.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I didn't say you had to slam on the brakes. But if you ease off the gas and put some distance between you and the car ahead of you, the guy tailgating you will see you gradually slowing, even with close to zero visability.

I'm a big fan of the brake tap in these situations. Not an all out brake check, of course. Just enough to light up the tail end a couple times so that the person behind me knows something's up. The problem is that some people are incredibly lacking in the common sense department and don't seem to be phased by it. In most cases it works, but there's always that one dingbat.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm a big fan of the brake tap in these situations. Not an all out brake check, of course. Just enough to light up the tail end a couple times so that the person behind me knows something's up. The problem is that some people are incredibly lacking in the common sense department and don't seem to be phased by it. In most cases it works, but there's always that one dingbat.

I miss my manual transmission. :D Oh, the foolish things we did as kids...

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I got caught in traffic from an 86 car pileup in Cincinnati on MLK day. Decided to get off at the exit right before the wreck which probably saved us quite a bit of time in traffic. Traffic seemed stopped but we didn't know why, but I figured side streets had to be better.

Snow squall out of nowhere reduced visibility to nothing before you knew it. One guy said his car spun from the slick roads, he hopped out for some reason, ran to the side just in time for a truck to slam in to it. A young girl survived the crash and was somehow killed by the center retaining wire when she was outside the car. They had the road shut down for like 6 hours, which surprised us when we headed home after 5 hours and were met with a closed interstate again.

Cincinatti's street designers did not know what a straight line was. Twists and turns made driving the side roads to our destination a real pain. Compare that to like 465 on the north side.. hop off, go north or south to 86th or 96th, and go down a couple miles to the next exit.

Avar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    I was parked on SR 252 outside of Martinsville trying to get home tonight. They closed the road because of so many slide offs. It took me 2 hours to go 5 miles. I'm thankful that I'm home and not in a ditch. Trying to stay positive.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've pulled off and gotten a hotel twice in the last year just from bad road conditions. And that's with only an hour left to go. I'm too old to be dealing with driving on ice anymore.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I never understood a 40-car pileup. If you can't see what's in front of you, why don't you slow down?
    I was on 70 this afternoon... not in the accident. It went from sunny and fine to snowy and I couldn't see 20 ft in front of me in an instant... Witnesses on the scene of this accident are reporting the same thing. it's called a white out.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I grew up in Detroit and went to school in Marquette, MI (in the Upper Peninsula). I'm no stranger to whiteouts. They don't hit in under three seconds. There's enough time to see them and to slow down. Everyone just thinks that weather is something that happens to other people.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You can roll all you want, but I've been in plenty of them and I just do not believe that they drop like a piano on you.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    You can roll all you want, but I've been in plenty of them and I just do not believe that they drop like a piano on you.
    that's alright

you sir are perfect and everyone else needs to learn how to drive, especially all those people who messed up so bad on 70 this afternoon

I was in it this afternoon. I was not texting, reading ingo, talking on the phone because I had driven through 1 or 2 before the real nasty one was there and I knew it could happen again... and it did.... 3 seconds? maybe not, but it was less than 5 and yes I saw snow as I was driving towards it, and a gust of wind hit at just the right time and I couldn't see.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

If someone's tailgating me I do that. Otherwise, if they're close and I need to slow down I hit the hazards and slow down. Does it make everyone around me realize that their is something going on? Nope. Does it make everyone behind me zip around me? Yep. Oh well, whatever works.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    that's alright

you sir are perfect and everyone else needs to learn how to drive, especially all those people who messed up so bad on 70 this afternoon

I was in it this afternoon. I was not texting, reading ingo, talking on the phone because I had driven through 1 or 2 before the real nasty one was there and I knew it could happen again... and it did.... 3 seconds? maybe not, but it was less than 5 and yes I saw snow as I was driving towards it, and a gust of wind hit at just the right time and I couldn't see.

Agreed, I was at home looking outside when it happened. It hit and I told my girlfriend she needed to get going. By the time she got to the stop sign it cleared up. It was quite odd.

Top Bottom