Assembling an AR lower isn't rocket science...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    ... but it sure helps to know what the **** you're doing!

Had to fix another customer's lower this afternoon; it was an Aero Precision build that he had bought from a private individual. Seller had failed to disclose the following issues:

1) disconnector spring was wrong (looked like it came from something else and had been cut to length; same approx. diameter as the correct spring, but had no belled end and did not allow the disconnector to move properly)

2) trigger spring was installed incorrectly (saddle was on top of the trigger arm)

3) trigger pin had been installed with a sledgehammer (end was smashed)

4) receiver extension had been improperly installed, so the buffer retainer was not retained and jammed up into the bolt carrier, kinking the spring in the process

This is the third jacked-up lower that's been brought to me in the past month. Guess there *is* a place in this world for certified AR armorers, after all. :)

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    What I did on my summer Stay-cation..

... but it sure helps to know what the **** you're doing!

Agreed! Also helps to have some hands on training. :D

DSCN2964_zpsd3aee868.jpg

DSCN2965_zpsf6f601a3.jpg

DSCN2967_zps5978d411.jpg

DSCN2968_zpscd3fec75.jpg

ozzie839

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Columbus
    i imagine this will be a more common thing from the panic buying over the winter, lots of new AR owners trying to piece rifles together that have no idea what they are doing:ugh:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    i imagine this will be a more common thing from the panic buying over the winter, lots of new AR owners trying to piece rifles together that have no idea what they are doing:ugh:

I didn't know what I was doing...but I learned with no training from anyone else other than what I saw on the internet.

Of course I'm a car guy and an engineer...so both help when putting mechanical things together.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    IMO - If you have the slightest bit of mechanical knowledge, know how to use some generic hand tools, know how to read and follow directions, an AR lower is a walk in the park. I also don't consider putting an AR lower together "gunsmithing".

ozzie839

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Columbus
    I didn't know what I was doing...but I learned with no training from anyone else other than what I saw on the internet.

Of course I'm a car guy and an engineer...so both help when putting mechanical things together.

exactly, not everyone has common sense though

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    exactly, not everyone has common sense though

I would even go so far as to say that common sense is not too common anymore!

I get a kick out of people who work on firearms and then post a YouTube "how to" video. It should be posted as a How Not to Do in a lot of cases.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    1) disconnector spring was wrong (looked like it came from something else and had been cut to length; same approx. diameter as the correct spring, but had no belled end and did not allow the disconnector to move properly)

I bought an AR that had this same issue... It had cycled fine with snap caps, and then halfway through my first magazine, burst fire! :eek:

Broke it down and it turned out the previous owner had put the spring from the bolt release where the disconnector spring should be and the disconnector spring where the bolt release spring should be. :dunno:

New LPK to the rescue. Problem solved.

Top Bottom