• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I take it you guys have never been in the intelligence gathering and assimilating business. Fair assessment?

The old, if you've never done it, you don't know what you're talking about defense.

A good fallback position.

That is correct, I've never actively been involved in gathering or assimilating intelligence.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I'm an idiot? Good. Here goes. The government has one responsibility. To protect America from all enemies, foreign and domestic. Everything else you said is irrelevent. I am all for the goverenment offing bin Laden. I'm for them offing SKM And I'm for them offing Manning and Assange. SKM and Manning to show others what happens when you kill our citizens and hand classified material to someone who uses it to get people killed. The others because the are a threat to America. Not because they're a threat to the American government. November 2012 is a threat to the government. Seriously.

(You're not holding your breath waiting for me to respond to something so silly are you? Good.)
    nope.

America will always have threats, many will be the creation of our government. Whats important to note is how fast the nations greatest enemies change.

in the 1910's and 1920's we were focused on teh depression and the war in europe. Germany became our enemy ( although a strong Nazi party in the United states almost had us support germany,) we aided The English who not so long before were our enemies.

in the 1940's we made Russia our allies against the Germans and the Japanese.

1950's we got mashed up with the Koreans and began tension with Russia. now our forces in South Korea would serve as little more than a speedbump in the event of a north Korean invasion. and a catalyst to get us into war.

the 60's was Cuba and Vietnam to fight communism ( which is almost in place in america now, google the "ten planks of communism" then look at what Senate Bill 510 covers) Keep in mind our governments sanctions against Cuba have built their ties to China, which has flowered recently as china begins drilling for oil in the gulf, off the coast of cuba,

1970's and 1980's started the intrigue in the middle east aiding Israel, treating with OPEC, and aiding the muhajadeen against the Russians.

the 1990's brought in war with Iraq. and of course now we are firmly in struggle in the mid east, only now Iraq is our Ally?

Now we are setting up missle defense grids in Poland, that have already caused great tension between the russians and the poles, which could spur intervention on are part if Russia attacks Poland as a result of our missles being on their soil.

Our enemies rather quickly become our friends. friends have become our enemies. It seems that we need to know what the government is doing, because those we aid today will be fighting us tomorrow.

Every action our government takes will almost invariably lead us to more confilct and greater danger down the road, which is why the military continues to grow. Even though the Army was never supposed to exist as a permanent entity.

And in 20 years if we are at war with china, they to would have been supported by our government in the past, just one more case where we literally hurt ourselves for no long run gain.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    The government is our worst enemy. Without the government we wouldn't have half the problems we do with other countries.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yeah, this would be just like that :rolleyes:
    Actually, it is just like that. He has no knowledge of what anyone has done in that capacity. And if someone has done anything in that arena they certainly aren't going to talk about it. I would be willing to bet that he hasn't been in that field, so he really should STHU, as he would like others to do.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Actually, it is just like that. He has no knowledge of what anyone has done in that capacity. And if someone has done anything in that arena they certainly aren't going to talk about it. I would be willing to bet that he hasn't been in that field, so he really should STHU, as he would like others to do.

Yeah, national security and an argument about abortion... you got me there.:n00b:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I take it you guys have never been in the intelligence gathering and assimilating business. Fair assessment?

I've not done so in a military setting. In a civilian setting I have gathered and compiled information on criminal gangs and worked with a lot of informants. If everything we were gathering back then had been available to the public we would have been completely ineffective. We had to be very careful with our data and how we stored it to guard against a variety of threats, including the threat of a fellow officer nosing around in our data and tipping off a friend or a relative. Some functions of government do require secrecy, at least until the case is ready to go to court. Otherwise you only ever catch the little fish and the big ones keep getting away.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    It's the same exact argument we often see here when someone has nothing but "shut up" as their answer or "you don't know what you're talking about because you've never done X".

I asked a simple question. Have you ever been in the intelligence gathering or assimilating bisiness. Seems like an easy yes or no. I'm after perspective.

Shut up isn't in my vocabulary. Find me a post where I've told ANYONE to shut up. I'll mail you a check for $1,000 if you produce one. You send me $20 if you can't. $1,000 against $20. Pretty good risk / return.

My money's where my mouth is. Where's yours?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    The old, if you've never done it, you don't know what you're talking about defense.

A good fallback position.

That is correct, I've never actively been involved in gathering or assimilating intelligence.

Did I say that? No. However, would you admit that there are others more knowledgable of the value of certain information sources, and who could more accurately assess what the loss of those sources would mean to them being able to do effectively do thier job than you who have never had to do their job? That's a fair question.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm not going to discuss with you what I've done as a civilian contractor with the State Department and other agencies. It's none of your business.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I asked a simple question. Have you ever been in the intelligence gathering or assimilating bisiness. Seems like an easy yes or no. I'm after perspective.

Shut up isn't in my vocabulary. Find me a post where I've told ANYONE to shut up. I'll mail you a check for $1,000 if you produce one. You send me $20 if you can't. $1,000 against $20. Pretty good risk / return.

SO SHUT UP!!! SHUT UP!!! SHUT UP!!!

I'll pm you with where to send the check.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

"STFU might be a little strong. Is **** up a rope any better?"

That should be good for $500.00....

This ones worth $5.00.... He said it,,,so it is in his vocabulary...but its a good post...:)

"Here's what I've learned from reading that thread:

If the police have to come to your door, it's your fault and it's OK if they shoot your dog, regardless of whether they find anything or not.

If you like to smoke a little weed (I don't, and don't have a lot of use for people that do, but that's another thread) you deserve to have your dogs killed and family harrassed.

Police can execute any warrant in any way they choose.

SWAT is always the best option.

People should shut up and never criticize the police, although it's OK to criticize the president, expecially if you're an LEO.

That's why I'm not an LEO anymore."

Yeah,,,it is in his vocabulary...

"FIFY. It's easy to sit at home in your little chair and badmouth the troops that protect you and say they can just shut up and go home. It's another to BE one of those troops that can't just go home. Think about that for a while."

He says it again in this one...

"Yeah, I think what I think. You don't have to agree, and I don't have to shut up. Sometimes (probably more often than not) we'll agree sometimes we won't."

Then Rambone nails him on what the Republicrats really stand for...

"Ok. Let me give a try at defining the Republican platform.

Open borders. Amnesty. Bailouts. Gun control. Criminalize everything. Soft on following the constitution. Hard on freedom. Promote statism. Military Interventionalist. Perpetual war. Big Centralized Government. Police State. Nanny State. Surveillance State. Welfare State. Bankrupt the country."

:yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway: to Rambone!!!!!!

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Good people who risked their lives providing us intelligence in Afganistand, Iraq and across the globe are dying because of this guy.

Do you have some sources for this?

Everything I've read about this time around has been more in the "embarrassing to politicians and appartchiks" category.

Not saying you're wrong; just saying I haven't seen anything to support what you are saying.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    antsi- I can't think of a single person that would want to prove or announce that a death occurred because of the leaks, can you? The gubmint sure doesn't want to advertise to any other potential sources, "hey look, we caused the lsat guy to get killed". Most of the media is wanting to paint Mr. Assange as a hero, so they really don't want to hear he ended up killing people. The Iranians or others of their ilk, don't want to advertise, hey look we killed this guy because we figured out he was one of your sources. They might get kicked off the UN Human Rights Council or something.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    antsi- I can't think of a single person that would want to prove or announce that a death occurred because of the leaks, can you? The gubmint sure doesn't want to advertise to any other potential sources, "hey look, we caused the lsat guy to get killed". Most of the media is wanting to paint Mr. Assange as a hero, so they really don't want to hear he ended up killing people. The Iranians or others of their ilk, don't want to advertise, hey look we killed this guy because we figured out he was one of your sources. They might get kicked off the UN Human Rights Council or something.

If Iran is sitting on any UN council, we have much bigger problems than any leaks.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Does blocking people you don't agree with count? Not that SemperFi can answer me since I am invisible to him. :laugh:

Top Bottom