• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Great idea! But it's totally a missed opportunity. It should have been named the Common Sense Hearing Safety Act.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We need to get the engineers at VW in on this. Create a suppressor that functions normally unless tested by the BATFE. At that time it enters, "full sound" mode and is deemed a fake can by them.

Million dollar idea right there.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    Please don't take this as I am not going to support this, I have, I filled out the forms and sent the letters.

BUT

There is almost no chance of this passing. Asking the gov't to give up revenue, especially when the number of these continues to grow. (From 1934-2010 there were about 250K-300K registered suppressors, from 2010-2014 that number more than doubled). Not to mention the public's view on suppressors has been heavily skewed by hollywood and books they've read, and you won't change that perception easily and in some cases never. Don't forget the number of local LE that would be unaware of the law change and the number of prosecutions that would come about from that. Sure you would be acquitted and you wouldn't go to jail, but you'd still have enormous legal fees. Most people still think silencers are illegal and are totally unaware of the NFA altogether. I wanted to voice this not because its not a worthy fight, I just don't want people to be surprised when it doesn't go through. Heck, look at the IN rifle law for hunting, I surely thought that would pass... WRONG.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Just picked up a Guns & Ammo magazine, Jan. 2016 and this has been brought back .....

It smply says, if you qualify for a LTCH, you qualify for a suppressor .....

BoilerMakerME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    E-mailed my Congressman and both Indiana senators. This is what i got back (Donnelly), so basically if it's in the Senate Finance Committee, they won't give up the revenue; unless you could "magically" get some media push to convince the public of the safety part....i wish they would knock it down to just like buying a firearm, but i don't have any hopes up. Sigh.

"

January 4, 2016​
    Dear Mr. XXXXXX,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 2236, the Hearing Protection Act. Like you, I believe that this issue deserves thoughtful consideration.
    As you may know, the National Firearms Act (NFA, P.L. 73-474) specified which categories of firearms and related items are to be registered with the federal government, or prohibited under certain circumstances. Under the NFA, firearm suppressors, commonly referred to as silencers, are legal to possess if the suppressor is registered with the federal government and the owner pays a mandated transfer tax. In addition, suppressor owners must adhere to other NFA requirements such as maintaining proof of registry and filing required transport applications when changing addresses.
    On November 4, 2015, the Hearing Protection Act was introduced in the Senate. If enacted, this legislation would eliminate the mandated transfer tax for individuals who purchase a suppressor and the registration and reporting requirements mandated by the NFA. In addition, this bill would nullify any state or local law that requires a transfer tax for a suppressor or requires separate registration.
    The Hearing Protection Act is currently pending before the Senate Finance Committee. Should this legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website."

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    E-mailed my Congressman and both Indiana senators. This is what i got back (Donnelly), so basically if it's in the Senate Finance Committee, they won't give up the revenue; unless you could "magically" get some media push to convince the public of the safety part....i wish they would knock it down to just like buying a firearm, but i don't have any hopes up. Sigh.

"

January 4, 2016​
    Dear Mr. XXXXXX,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 2236, the Hearing Protection Act. Like you, I believe that this issue deserves thoughtful consideration.
    As you may know, the National Firearms Act (NFA, P.L. 73-474) specified which categories of firearms and related items are to be registered with the federal government, or prohibited under certain circumstances. Under the NFA, firearm suppressors, commonly referred to as silencers, are legal to possess if the suppressor is registered with the federal government and the owner pays a mandated transfer tax. In addition, suppressor owners must adhere to other NFA requirements such as maintaining proof of registry and filing required transport applications when changing addresses.
    On November 4, 2015, the Hearing Protection Act was introduced in the Senate. If enacted, this legislation would eliminate the mandated transfer tax for individuals who purchase a suppressor and the registration and reporting requirements mandated by the NFA. In addition, this bill would nullify any state or local law that requires a transfer tax for a suppressor or requires separate registration.
    The Hearing Protection Act is currently pending before the Senate Finance Committee. Should this legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website."

That's a pretty good non-answer.

"Let me answer your email by telling you what you already know."

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Seems like they all do this. One of the few times I didn't get a canned email was when I wrote one of our Indiana reps or senators. I don't remember which one it was but I was in campaign mode, asking them to support some bill and I sent a plea to the author of the bill. He politely told me: You big dummy. I wrote the thing. I think I'll go ahead and support it. :laugh:

BoilerMakerME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013

Lol, kinda what i thought.
    These guys are like greased pigs, you'll never get them nailed one on one to answer anything. Plus no one is going to put them on the spot with that question in the newspaper, TV, etc.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Donnelly must be getting around to cleaning out his mailbox. Same letter as was posted above. Looks like we can count on him. :n00b:

April 6, 2016

Dear Friend,

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website.

Top Bottom