• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have a friend (female) who was married to an army guy and they have 3 kids. They got divorced a while back (messy one) and she has since re-married. The dad is on/off in the lives of his kids. He now appears to be playing games (per my friend's emails to me) by telling his kids all sort of stories about their mom (lies) and she wants to show the kids some truth about their dad.

He claims to have been an Army Ranger and she does not think he ever was. Active duty army perhaps but more like just in the reserved when they got married.

In any case how would she go about finding out if he was Army active duty or even a ranger? She has his full name, DOB, and the dates of some of his training.

Any help please?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Not trying to be a dick, but I think you're asking about "status" not "statues".

Also, really, not trying to be a dick, but its going to suck if you get involved. That he said, she said, "your dad's not the great guy you think he is" is a mess. I've seen it first hand and even if you're telling the truth you end up covered in **** and the kids will not appreciate it one bit.

They'll grow up and figure things out but you seem like a decent guy and I hate to see people get involved in these things.

Even if their dad is not in their lives consistently, he figures prominently in the self identity of the kids. If you tear down a positive image of their dad (even an incorrect one), you tear down that part of the kid too.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I believe that you can apply for a DD214. I believe that this is the correct number of the form that will tell all (active dates, awards and date of discharge).

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not trying to be a dick, but I think you're asking about "status" not "statues".

Also, really, not trying to be a dick, but its going to suck if you get involved. That he said, she said, "your dad's not the great guy you think he is" is a mess. I've seen it first hand and even if you're telling the truth you end up covered in **** and the kids will not appreciate it one bit.

They'll grow up and figure things out but you seem like a decent guy and I hate to see people get involved in these things.

Even if their dad is not in their lives consistently, he figures prominently in the self identity of the kids. If you tear down a positive image of their dad (even an incorrect one), you tear down that part of the kid too.

I agree with that.
    I would not get involved in that.

Also can you really get someone's military record like that?
    I would think that there is a kind of privacy policy and that you can't just ask to know if someone served in that brench or unit and when.
    Not unless you ask about your own informations.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have a friend (female) who was married to an army guy and they have 3 kids. They got divorced a while back (messy one) and she has since re-married. The dad is on/off in the lives of his kids. He now appears to be playing games (per my friend's emails to me) by telling his kids all sort of stories about their mom (lies) and she wants to show the kids some truth about their dad.

He claims to have been an Army Ranger and she does not think he ever was. Active duty army perhaps but more like just in the reserved when they got married.

In any case how would she go about finding out if he was Army active duty or even a ranger? She has his full name, DOB, and the dates of some of his training.

Any help please?
    Here is a good write up on what can be done and/or where to look...
    READ BEFORE POSTING: RANGER POSER / CREDENTIAL CHECKS - SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network
    The Ranger Website has a Photo Album of almost ALL of the Graduates of the Program by Class...
    The United States Army | Fort Benning

I believe that you can apply for a DD214. I believe that this is the correct number of the form that will tell all (active dates, awards and date of discharge).
    Here is the Link to file for this Information...
    National Archives and Records Administration
    There are some Stipulations that must be met before one can acquire someone's DD214...

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    National Archives ask for a public release of service, will tell decorations, and schools, etc. Whoever can apply online for the info.

They will not provide DD-214, 2-1, or 2A, but will provide some info, unless they are currently on active duty or their first enlistment there may not even be anything available.

Start Your Military Service Record (DD Form 214) Request

Here is the link to what will be released to the public under FOIA

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/foia-info.html

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks all for the leads.
    Based on the reading over at socnet and my limited knowledge of him and what she has told me. It looks like he was attached to the ranger HQ but just not an actual ranger (ie. more likely support personnel).

But I'll give her these leads and let her figure it out.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The Ranger Website has a Photo Album of almost ALL of the Graduates of the Program by Class...
    The United States Army | Fort Benning

Here is the Link to file for this Information...
    National Archives and Records Administration
    There are some Stipulations that must be met before one can acquire someone's DD214...

:dunno: did not see a photo album on the website BTW.

Also the national records that are available to the public is for records that are 62+ years old. Otherwise it's only for the vet or next of kin if the vet is dead. So that route does not help.:(

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    I agree with the above posters about this not being something you want to get in the middle of.

Not knowing anything about the situation, but playing devil's advocate, it is possible that he went through ranger school. Anybody in the military (and some foreigns that are friendly to us) can go through that school....and you are technically ranger qualified (qualified to wear the ranger tab) even though you might not be "in the Rangers" (a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment).

At any rate, it isn't something I would want to get in the middle of......let them deal with it amongst themselves. So what happens if you call the guy out and it turns out he did graduate from Ranger School? Or he was a 75th Ranger? Then what is gained? What do you, or she, have to gain by "outing him" if he inflated his credentials? Is he reaping some kind of benefit by making these claims other than higher esteem of his children (ie promotions at work, using status to solicit donations, etc)? Or, if the claims are false, is it just to be an internet tough-guy or bar stool hero?

I'm truly just being curious and not trying to be an arse......just trying to figure out your motivation for swimming into the nastiness between two ex-spouses that you admit had a messy divorce (and I'm sure there is a lot of animosity between the two). I just say let the two of them handle it amongst themselves.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I did not say I was going to do the homework for her in my OP at least I don't think I say that and it has never been my intend. She wanted info on how to go about getting said info and thus my OP here.

I've provided her the link to that other website to get her started and told her to try there. They have been divorces for a long time now and she got remarried this past year. I have not seen him in a long time and even when they were married he never came to any of our friend's events.

I have no intent on getting in the middle of this because I can't since I don't ever see him. ROFL! Just wanted some guidance on where she can go do the work herself. Based on more talking between her and me she told me that his family (they are still very friendly with her, his family was pissed they got divorced [ie. he was not a nice person when he had booze to her or the kids you get the pic]) has told her time and time again different members that he was not a ranger only did basic and then went to the reserves.

In any case it's someone else's drama and not mine.

--edit--
    She came to me since I of all the high school friends have prior "DOD experience" and thus wanted to know how to go about getting more info.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville

DD214 is the discharge form for active military. She will not be able to get that info even with his SS#. I wouldn't even get involved with getting her info on where to go. You play a no win situation and all it does is hurt the kids. When they get old enough they'll figure things out. My ex told my son all kinds of things about me. It didn't take him long to figure out she was just grinding axes. He really appreciates the fact that I didn't get into the finger pointing game and let him learn the truth on his own.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I wouldnt get involved. I would also tell her some of the stuff other posters have said.

Also I went through this when I was a kid from BOTH sides and I didnt like the **** at all. Its best to live and let live on this. I lived through this as a kid growing up. Stay out of it

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    she no longer has any access to any military file that pertains to him or the military regarding any personal information

Top Bottom