Army sergeant convicted of murder; says he shot in self-defense after man aimed AK-47 at him during BLM riot

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am mixed on this. This IS TEXAS after all... TEXAS!!! They aren't exactly known for being antigun or anti-vigilante. They pretty well believe in one's right to defend themselves. I'd have to see what the jury saw (and didn't see) to render a better response to this event.

However, I do find it ironic that in Texas the governor CANNOT pardon someone, without first asking permission. In almost every other state, if not every other one, the governor has the authority to pardon anyone they determine has received a gross miscarriage of justice. Yet not in Texas. There the governor must grovel to the Pardon board before he can act.

Texans seem to think they're all that, but when you read the fine print, well... They ain't. :tumbleweed:

Regards,

Doug

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am mixed on this. This IS TEXAS after all... TEXAS!!! They aren't exactly known for being antigun or anti-vigilante. They pretty well believe in one's right to defend themselves. I'd have to see what the jury saw (and didn't see) to render a better response to this event.

However, I do find it ironic that in Texas the governor CANNOT pardon someone, without first asking permission. In almost every other state, if not every other one, the governor has the authority to pardon anyone they determine has received a gross miscarriage of justice. Yet not in Texas. There the governor must grovel to the Pardon board before he can act.

Texans seem to think they're all that, but when you read the fine print, well... They ain't. :tumbleweed:

Regards,

Doug
    Which seems counterproductive since one of the safeguards in the system should be for a governor to override a corrupt or unreasonable board.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The liberal cities are really not much different than liberal cities in other states.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

Regards,

Doug
    Texas is slowly going democrat. Every election is closer and closer as more CA liberals move there. The cities are already liberal.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Regardless of other concerns or what happened prior to the crux, people surrounding your vehicle so you are left with no avenue of escape and then a 'protester' approaching your vehicle brandishing an AK at low ready are a clear threat to your life as well as anyone with you. It doesn't matter what condition the weapon was in because the man on the spot has no way to know that, nor does it take that long to charge the weapon

I'd have avoided the whole area, but if it was me in that situation the outcome would be the same

FA&FO

Edit: Good lesson in how a corrupt prosecutor or a plaintiff's attorney will attempt to make a determination for or against simple self defense about anything else that might sway the jury with feelings. Simple truth is if the dude hadn't threatened a stranger with a rifle he would have lived beyond that day

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The liberal cities are really not much different than liberal cities in other states.
    Texas is slowly going democrat. Every election is closer and closer as more CA liberals move there. The cities are already liberal.

I don't disagree 100% with these comments, but I will push back slightly.

Many democrats/liberals living in Texas are way different from others outside their region. Much like a democrat from Kentucky is very different from a democrat from Massachusetts, or an Indiana republican v/s a New York republican.

The south has had (olde people will remember this phrase :p) something called "blue steel" democrats. Very liberal on some issues but very pro 2A. They're still around.

I still find it very hard to judge this with much integrity without knowing everything the jury was told, and wasn't told. Stories like this are hard to judge without some bias coming into it, even from witnesses who were there, and especially the accused.

Regards,

Doug

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Many democrats/liberals living in Texas are way different from others outside their region. Much like a democrat from Kentucky is very different from a democrat from Massachusetts, or an Indiana republican v/s a New York republican.

The south has had (olde people will remember this phrase :p) something called "blue steel" democrats. Very liberal on some issues but very pro 2A. They're still around.

I still find it very hard to judge this with much integrity without knowing everything the jury was told, and wasn't told. Stories like this are hard to judge without some bias coming into it, even from witnesses who were there, and especially the accused.

Regards,

Doug
    Have you any first hand knowledge of Austin?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    What happened to a "reasonable person" standard? Would it be reasonable for a person to act accordingly given the same situation? In this case I would say it would be reasonable to act in self-defense.

The "peaceful protestors" were the aggressors that brought the violence to him and IMO it would be reasonable for a person to be in fear of great bodily harm and or death if that same situation were thrust upon them.

Kyle Rittenhouse wasn't looking for an opportunity to kill a "protestor" either. They brought the violence to him. Stop acting in a violent manner towards others, especially in numbers if you don't want to run the risk of being shot by someone who may be in fear of great bodily harm.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Regards,

Doug
    I know several people that moved from chicagoland to austin area. Took their chicago beliefs with them. Apparently they have met a lot of like minded individuals in the area as they are just as closed minded there as they were in Chi town. So while the people that were born and raised there might be different brand of liberalis, they are being overrun by new blood from the new school of liberalism.

Top Bottom